Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Running wayyy lean idle & low load...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 06:16 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Running wayyy lean idle & low load...

Okay so I started messing around with my tune under the assumption that it was already dialed in for normal operating temps, but I was wrong. I had to add 40-50% fuel at cold temps to get it to read on the wideband. Then when it warmed up and my compensation was taken away, back to lean and it dies. I upped the fuel maps for the vacuum I was in to get it running again, then as soon as I touch the throttle it goes lean and dies.

So my question is, what could cause me to be running 40-50% too little fuel in all conditions of idle and low load, other than a problem with the tune? I am going to get a hold of the tuner and make sure my calibrations weren't somehow corrupted when I pulled them from the old S300. I haven't been able to test any other areas of the map since it is not driveable like this currently.

Would other issues like fuel leak, vacuum leak, exhaust leak, etc. be enough to cause this much error? If it turns out the tune is OK I am not even sure where to begin when tracking down the cause of a problem like this.

Thanks,
Old 02-14-2017, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Running wayyy lean idle & low load...

is your current setup 100% identical to the previous setup?

what exactly has been changed since your last setup, with the engine or ecu?
Old 02-15-2017, 06:10 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Nothing has changed. Basically I bought the car, it was running fine on the same tune, same setup.

I drove it home an hour away, and it ran like crap. Had to replace the S300 because of bad battery. Re-upload the same tune it had before, still running like crap (lean).

I am focused now on the fuel system, putting a new filter in then will check the fuel pressure. If that seems okay I will have the injectors cleaned and flow tested.

The advice I got from Hondata was to create a new base tune and try running on it, because the old tune may have been corrupted. So I did make a tune, and looking at the fuel maps the values are way less than the tune I've been trying to run, so I highly doubt it will work.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x0
The advice I got from Hondata was to create a new base tune and try running on it, because the old tune may have been corrupted. So I did make a tune, and looking at the fuel maps the values are way less than the tune I've been trying to run, so I highly doubt it will work.
Im pretty sure hondata ment for you to copy all your fuel & ignition tablets aswell as all other parameters and options over to the new base tune.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check and see if you have a bad MAP sensor.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:39 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
Im pretty sure hondata ment for you to copy all your fuel & ignition tablets aswell as all other parameters and options over to the new base tune.
Is there a reasonably quick way to do this?

They were pretty clear about just taking a basemap, adjusting injector size and seeing if car would start. It wouldn't.

Hondata is no longer offering me any helpful suggestions, besides taking it to my tuner. My tuner is 1.5 hours away, and the car isn't driveable.

I want to make sure there are no mechanical issues just to rule that out before I go to a tuner and have them find a problem. Otherwise I might check around if anyone has a similar setup that I can try to run on as a base tune.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:43 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 80%downtime
Check and see if you have a bad MAP sensor.
I recorded a couple of datalogs and the MAP readings are right in line with what my vac gauge shows. It pulls 20" vacuum when it idles on all cyls, albeit a brief moment before it leans out and start missing. Regardless I am doubtful it's a vacuum leak and am running through the fuel system currently.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:21 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

This issue appears to have been resolved for the moment, after weeks of researching and tweaking the calibration. Hondata advised me that the file was likely corrupted when pulled off my old S300. Looks like they were right.

The lean issue was due to incorrect injector dead times. They were set to default 240cc dead times, way too low and not compensating for the 1000cc's. I used numbers between the preset ID 1000cc values, and some for FIC's I found online. Now idle AFR's are solid.

The problem with it dying as soon as I touched the throttle apparently was injector phasing. I noticed they seemed off, being set at 360 BTDC. I put in the stock GSR values and it now revs perfectly with no hesitation sitting in neutral.

I have yet to be able to drive it due to the weather, but I'm happy to have made progress and I think it shows some promise. Definitely going to go easy on it until I'm sure I have any other kinks worked out.