Notices

b18b1 block, b1 crank, b18c1 caps/girlde. Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18b1 block, b1 crank, b18c1 caps/girlde. Bearings?

As the title states, i'm building a b18b1 block and i'd like to use gsr main caps and girdle that I have from a previous build. The bearings off the gsr block looked a hell of a lot better than the ones that came out of the ls. The ls crankshaft was garbage, got a brand new one. So, with a brand new ls crank, gsr mains and girdle, and eagle rods (which I purchased to go with the ls crank) which bearings should I chose, or how should I go about figuring out what sizes I need? I no longer have the gsr block, I sold it bare, so I can't go look at it to try and receive some numbers indicating sizes. I do have the bearings from both. I've learned through the search function that the mains should be fine with regards to diameter, as well as the thrust, but the rod bearings will need to be purchased for a ls, where as the mains will be purchased for a gsr. I want to go ACL or King race bearings, and buying the whole package would be convenient, but if I need different sizes, no big deal. I tried searching there were no thread's with my same criteria.
Also, is a line bore completely necessary? I understand it's a frankstein'd bottom end, but I'd like to save money if possible. I'm going to get the ARP main hardware, and use the factory hardware when doing the plastic gauge measuring, will the plastic gauge readings tell me enough to know that a line bore may not be necessary?
any and all advice is appreciated. I'm not asking for a spoon fed answer, just people's experiences and ideas, and hopefully a push in the right direction to where I can figure out this situation on my own. Thank you guys, sorry for the simplistic thread. I really did search first.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18b1 block, b1 crank, b18c1 caps/girlde. Bearings?

does anyone have a reliable source to find specs like journal size difference between the different cranks/blocks/years/ect? I really wanna buy some bearings and get this going. The outside mic's I have access to are at work and that would require hauling the crank 60 miles, measuring on my lunch break, and asking to borrow a coworker's tool. I have nice co-worker's and everything, but a micrometer is a different from an air hammer. I do plan on asking a co-worker for some plastic gauge, but that's only gonna be useful after I order the bearings (spent the money) and i'd rather have an idea of the bearings to buy, and sizes, before doing so.
sorry to bump, finally have the funds for the bearings
Old 08-19-2016, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Main caps are unique to each block. Crankshaft main journals are line bored/honed after the caps are cut, so moving caps from one block to another REQUIRES a fresh line bore/hone. This changes the specs of the original journal sizes, so the markings will no longer represent the bearings needed for proper clearance. You will have to actually measure everything after the fresh line bore is completed.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
Main caps are unique to each block. Crankshaft main journals are line bored/honed after the caps are cut, so moving caps from one block to another REQUIRES a fresh line bore/hone. This changes the specs of the original journal sizes, so the markings will no longer represent the bearings needed for proper clearance. You will have to actually measure everything after the fresh line bore is completed.
thank you. I spoke with some machine shops yesterday after work and heard the same thing. After hearing prices and almost uniform uncertainty about the effectiveness of the line hone/bore i'm just gonna stick with the b1 caps, no girdle, spend the money saved on good hardware and a bottom end balance.
thanks again for the response, makes my decision easier.