Notices
Detailing Auto Detailing and Concours

Why Does Clay Magic Cost 32% More?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Does Clay Magic Cost 32% More?!

A little history for anyone who might not know: Auto Wax Company was the company that held the original patent for this detailing clay and sold it under the name of Clay Magic.
I believe that patent has since expired.
Anyways, if you search for a good price on this clay, you will find Clay Magic to be much more expensive.
For instance: You can get 200 grams at automagic.com for $27.99.
If you order from Chemical Guys, their clay will cost you $25.98 for 200 grams.
However, if you go to detailedimage.com, their 200 gram bar is only $18.99.

$18.99 is 68% of the cost at AutoWax Company, a/k/a Automagic a/k/a Clay Magic [$27.99] who owned the original patent.

Is Detailed Image's clay the exact same product, and if so, how does Auto Magic [selling their ClayMagic brand] stay in business?

So why do I ask? I bought the Meguiar's box of clay & lube at an auto parts store & it isn't taking it off the roof. It took a lot of it off - so much so - that I have to use an ultra thin baggie [these are super thin] to be able to feel the roughness.
Now I know the clay I bought is fine grade, however, I put a lot of pressure on it during the last time I tried to get the contaminants off, after several washes and it just will not budge.

So, I'm shopping for clay that will work. I imagine that if I buy some medium grade clay that will do the trick. However, who should I buy it from?

Which brings to mind another question: Does the IronX really work at helping to loosen up these contaminants that have imbedded themselves into the paint?

Last edited by UtzChips; 05-11-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why Does Clay Magic Cost 32% More?!

it has to do with the grade of clay you are using.

I generally do not buy fine grade and only get medium as it will get the hard stuff off. The heavy duty line is more if you never wash your car in like 4 years lol.