Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

Help! No spark at coil

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! No spark at coil

89 Accord has had a MSD Blaster coil in place of the stock coil since January 2010. This car was running last week when I took out the transmission for rebuilding and put it back in. This morning, I adjusted my valves.....try to start the car, no spark at the coil wire, when held 1/16 " from the block, key on, starter turns motor over.

Problem: No spark at the coil wire.

It is wired as follows....
From Factory wiring harness.....big black/yellow sends 12volts to positive side of MSD coil. From positive side of MSD coil a small black/yellow sends 12 volts into the Hitachi distributor.

From negative side of MSD coil, two wires:
Wire 1 is a small blue wire that sends 12 volts back into the factory harness....probably sends a signal to the tach or to activate the fuel pump. Wire 2 is a small blue wire that sends 12 volts into the Hitachi distributor. When 12 volts go to the positive side of the MSD coil, both wires on the negative side also have 12 volts.

3rd wire from factory harness is a small black/yellow wire that goes into a condersor......labelled as "136 A 250-0.47". and comes out a small black wire that is grounded to the distributor body. When 12 volts is on the positive side of the coil, the wire going into the condensor has 12 volts...the black wire
coming out the condensor that is grounded to the distributor body has nothing. I tried swapping condensors....it still tests 12 volts coming in, nothing coming out the small black wire. PLugs on the condensor are male/female so they cannot be plugged in backwards.

This car was running last week when I took out the transmission for rebuilding and put it back in. This morning, I adjusted my valves.....try to start the car, no spark at the coil wire, when held 1/16 " from the block. Key is on, starter turns motor over. It won't even backfire. It won't crank/run on starter fluid.

I did a continuity test and the coil wire conducts electricity. . How can there be 12 volts coming into the positive side of the coil and
out the negative side with no spark being generated out the coil wire?

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.-Bob
Old 12-23-2010, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help! No spark at coil

sounds like you have it under control. Something really small is messing it up. If you've got your old coil, try putting it back on and see if it does the same thing. If what you say is true, and you've got power, you've taken a voltmeter and you have the 12 volts there is no way it won't work.