Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

What amp to power highs??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What amp to power highs??

Im trying to look for an amp that will power my highs in the front. I currently have a pair of bose tweeters on the dash board. it came with those speakers from factory and im planning to purchase a pair of polk 6.5 components for the front door panels, the polks are rated at 100 rms and 300 watts peak. the components will also come with external tweeters which im planning on placing on the pillar. im not trying to waist alot of money for an amp i just want something that will power my front speakers. the car is a 2001 chevy blazer (SUV) is it true that the bose tweeters are 2ohm because i think the polk componets are 4ohm will i have any problomes with the amp because of these 2ohm bose tweeters?? feedback is appriciated
Old 11-24-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would disable the factory dash speakers, use the components only. As far as the amp goes, what is your budget, that is usualy the deciding factor, lots of good brands out there, new and used in the 75-100 watt per channel range.

Kirk R
Old 11-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm... i will also be replacing my rear door panel 6.5's as well. the speakers that im going to put there are the pioneer 3 way. so do you think a 4 channel 400watt amp is good enough or should i go with the 500watt?? i do shop on ebay so is there any brand/model names you know of from the top of your head that you could give me
Old 11-24-2008, 04:39 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Wait, what???

You are going to keep the stock Bose tweeters in the dash, get a set of components and a pr of 6.5" 3ways for the rear, 3 words, too many tweeters.

As KRock459 mentions, scrap the Bose tweeters, install the component set at the stock locations in the front and find a set of 6.5" mid-range/mid-bass drivers for the rear, in fact I believe the rear door speakers in a 01 Blazer are mids, wire them in series and connect to the bridged rear channels of a 4x100W amp, the JL Audio 450/4v2 would work great.

Too many tweeters all over the car will cause phase shift from hell. Tweeters behind you will make proper imaging and staging pretty much impossible and contribute to left/right bias, [music will sound like it is coming from the left and right speaker instead of in front of you.94
Old 11-25-2008, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
Wait, what???

You are going to keep the stock Bose tweeters in the dash, get a set of components and a pr of 6.5" 3ways for the rear, 3 words, too many tweeters.

As KRock459 mentions, scrap the Bose tweeters, install the component set at the stock locations in the front and find a set of 6.5" mid-range/mid-bass drivers for the rear, in fact I believe the rear door speakers in a 01 Blazer are mids, wire them in series and connect to the bridged rear channels of a 4x100W amp, the JL Audio 450/4v2 would work great.

Too many tweeters all over the car will cause phase shift from hell. Tweeters behind you will make proper imaging and staging pretty much impossible and contribute to left/right bias, [music will sound like it is coming from the left and right speaker instead of in front of you.94
soo... what should i do??

Im going to disable the bose tweeters that are on the dash and i will replace the stock speakers with a pair of polk 6.5 components on the front door panels along with the tweeters on the pillar.

the 6.5 speakers that are currently in the rear are 6.5 bose, should i leave those there and not replace them??

What amp should i use to power my front setup?? Should i get a 2 channel or should i get a 4 channel and power the rear 6.5 bose speakers??

Last edited by SiR Inspired ED7; 11-25-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i used to use a Eclipse 4ch amp on my mb quarts and they worked well, but that amp didn't have any cooling fins and often got hot and shut off(was well ventilated). Then on my crossfire bmf components i had a memphis pr200, its not a great sq amp but i was actually more impressed with it, and my last components i had were some rockford 3 ways and i ran a concept amp on them, it was decent too. Amps i have tried for fun but had no favor in using for components were, rockford fosgate, us amps, sony, - these were not that great and have a higher THD rating, especially the usamps, its a beast, very power hungry too.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by twentyhurtz
i used to use a Eclipse 4ch amp on my mb quarts and they worked well, but that amp didn't have any cooling fins and often got hot and shut off(was well ventilated). Then on my crossfire bmf components i had a memphis pr200, its not a great sq amp but i was actually more impressed with it, and my last components i had were some rockford 3 ways and i ran a concept amp on them, it was decent too. Amps i have tried for fun but had no favor in using for components were, rockford fosgate, us amps, sony, - these were not that great and have a higher THD rating, especially the usamps, its a beast, very power hungry too.
How much did you get your memphis pr 200?? Where can i find one for cheap?? Is that the model # "Memphis PR200"??
Old 11-25-2008, 02:15 PM

Some call me old school, but I still find the Phoenix Gold ZX series amps to be some of the better sounding amps available. The ZX450 and 500ti are top quality 4 channel amps, and can be found used for a geed price.

in fact...... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Phoen...fAudioQ5fVideo
Old 11-25-2008, 04:14 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SiR Inspired ED7
soo... what should i do??
Pretty sure I covered everything.

Pull the rear speakers and check the impedance. it they are 2-4 ohms wire them in series and connect to bridged rear channels of a 4ch amp.

The front components need to be "amped" for best results, you can use a 2ch amp or the front channels of a 4ch amp.

What is the model of the Polk components you are getting?

Question, why are you installing the tweeters, from component set, on the "pillars" instead of the stock, [Bose] tweeter locations???94
Old 11-26-2008, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well this was like 6 years ago, but the memphis pr-200 is the model number PR meaning Power Reference, they made them at first black with a center aluminum power stip with memphis badge, at first they had these ugly plates on them that acted as end caps, then they made them without them but they retailed for about 189 new, power rating was 50w x2 rms@4ohms stereo, and 100w x2 rms@2ohms stereo @ 13.8v
Old 11-26-2008, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Or if you want something fancy, get a Mcintosh amp.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by twentyhurtz
Or if you want something fancy, get a Mcintosh amp.
I dont want anything fancy, function > fashion. im not going to be in a car show or anything so i dont need to impress anybody by how it looks. i just want somthing that works.