Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Car alarm guide and how to pick out a Security system to meet your needs!-OPEN!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car alarm guide and how to pick out a Security system to meet your needs!-OPEN!

First a foremost, I am glad to get this back up! It may look the same as the old one but the problem is that the information is the same. So there you go. Now that I got that out the way, Please keep this thread on topic. If you really must ask a question about problems with your alarm. Please make a thread in the fourm. This thread is to show people whats out there. I will keep this updated. Its going to take me sometime to get this thread were it needs to be so bare with me. I going to keep this locked till I can finish it up.

Reason to get a alarm
Thats simple, To keep my car from getting stolen. But most people do not understand that a alarm is to keep the car from starting, To keep the theif in the car as long as possible. To draw unwanted attention to your flashy ride. A alarm will not prevent a smash and grab theft. So when you pick out a alarm keep this in mind. Do not leave items like ipods, gps stuck to your window, faces on radios, laptops in the front seat or whatever out. All you are doing is asking for a broken window or a theif to open a door and help himself. Remember that a alarm is as only as good as the install. You can have a $800 security system and its not going to do squat if its not installed right!

Entry Level Alarms

Just a basic alarm, siren, shock sensor, start kill.

Price: Up to and around $50-150 installed.

Security: Not really none. Your just paying for a keyless entry and something to flash the parking lights and honk the horn or siren. In this price range your just getting something thrown under the dash. No back up battery, mini siren and the siren placed in engine bay were it can be tampered with by theives. Remember you pay for what you get

Convenience: Dome light comes on for a few seconds after disarming the alarm and when the alarm is sounding-If hooked up to do so. Parking light flash when arming/disarming. Panic mode triggers alarm manually by remote. Although the alarm may be capable of keyless entry, it is usually not included in the price of the install
Name:  DSCN1861.jpg
Views: 17044
Size:  51.3 KB
Basic install that was not under the dash. Most will be zip-tied to steering colume or in the driver kick pannel. Thats no good for security.

BasicStealth and Full stealth Install
Could be a entry level alarm brain or a high-end alarm brain

Price -($500 labor) + alarm depending on were you go and up depending on car

Security-For a system like this you can count on your car staying put and not driven away. Which is 95% of all car theft. There shoulld be no trace of the alarm brain or anything having to do with the alarm period. You should not see a siren or any way to tamper with the siren. Kills switches should include the main relay on a honda. Ignition and starter could be done. But that should be added as a layer. A dei 520t back up battery should be a major add on to this. As well as a mini siren for the cab for the car. Tilt sensor, glass sensor and proxy can be added for a small fee.

Convenience- You should have keyless entry if the car has it from the factory, domelight supervision if hooked up, shock sensor, Parking lights, and panic modes. Pertty much everything to help you ease in and out of the car.
Name:  image_112.jpg
Views: 5876
Size:  136.6 KB
Name:  DSC02748.jpg
Views: 5422
Size:  103.5 KB
Pics of a full stealth!
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................

Okay, we got the installs down and now its time to pick out a alarm system. So what do we choice? Its up to your budget and what features needed. Its also a bling show to. Its cool to have that new remote that no one has hanging off your key chain or clipped to your belt. Alarm alarms do the samething. Alert you and anybody that can hear a siren going off, to a violation to your car. Remember the key to a good alarm system is install. So start with install budgeted into your factory and pick away. Brands to stick with are any Dei units. Dei owns the following brands if not more. I not going to list them all but here are a few. Clifford, Viper, Python, Hornet, Valet, Avital, Auto mate. Here is the site to check out all of dei line up. WWW.DEI.COM. Compustar is also a great company. They have nice remotes that have great range. And with most of there units. If you want to upgrade to a better remote or range all you have to do is change out the attenna and remote. WWW.COMPUSTAR.COM. Autopage is a decient company. I never had problems with them. There gps tracking unit is comeing up on the market. WWW.AUTOPAGEUSA.COM

2-Way pager alarms

Are a great way to get into a alarm system. You are notified of a possiable theft or someone tampering with your car. Range vary per unit. Entry level units range up to 2000ft, middle range units up to 300ft and higher end units like the SST units from dei and compustar CompuStar Pro P2WSSR are up to one mile or futher. You have to factor in your enviroment and such. I have great sucesses with the SST units. They tower over any entry level unit. 2 way units come in lcd screens and leds screens. If you can afford it go with a lcd screen. Trust me. You will want to upgrade later.

Lets take a look at some of the 2ways out there!

First up is the new dei-Clifford 50.7x

Name:  91631.jpg
Views: 5154
Size:  11.6 KB

This model falls under the Viper, Python lines too. Price is $380-$499 from a authorized dealer. Install depends on you and the installer or company. Please buy these from dealers. Dei does not honnor online sales unless its thru there online dealers and there are only a few. So don't expect to pay ebay prices from them.

Here is some information for the unit. No need to do all this typing, lol

http://www.clifford.com/Products/Pro...?ProductID=721

Here is a nice unit from compustar

This unit has range up to 6000ft. Only problem is that its not fully supported in the states. There are dealers but you have to search. If you are in california its really hard to find. Also compustar does not have any online dealers or on ebay. SO please stay away from there or if you need service your sol. Due to there website you have to go to products for information. I cannot send you right to the products

http://www.compustar.com/main.htm

Next is a led pager alarm

Name:  clifford-matrix-rsx331.jpg
Views: 4986
Size:  3.8 KB

Same as a lcd 2way only no screen to break. Good for gurls that love to throw a bunch of junk in there purse. Price is from $280-$380 from dealers. Click the link below for more info!

http://clifford.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=702

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....

One-way systems

Everybody knows these. The same that comes with most cars from dealerships. You can allways finds them in entry level kits and highend kits with better range. you can also get 1-ways in remote start. The only problem is that you have to guess if the car is running if you don't have veiw of the car. Unlike a 2-way

Here is the clifford 2.2
Name:  22_large1.jpg
Views: 4950
Size:  5.6 KB

http://clifford.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=720

Compustar

Name:  2WSHLED1.jpg
Views: 4986
Size:  3.5 KB
I think this one is only out in canda. I seen a couple out here in the states.

www.compustar.com

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....

Well since you have now seen whats out there. Its time to look at all the accessories thats needed in order to keep the alarm working as it should be. The first one is very important.

Dei 520t back up battery.

This is strongly reccommended for any alarm install. Its a 100% must! Its job is to keep the alarm powered and siren going and kill switches activated if or when a theif pops your hood to unplug your battery. We all know that honda's hoods are easy to open. And this is on every year! And theives know this. This is the reason that theives do this. They open your hood so they can kill the security system of the car that they are trying to enter. Once the power is cut. They are welcomed to enter your car and violate you and your car in peace and quiet. It makes it easy for them to find the alarm brain and unplug it so that when they go to plug the battery up. There is no more alarm. Bye bye goes the car. I know alot of you have came outside before and seen your hood up and battery unpluged. You can find them for about $45-$60 buxs. Do not buy these off ebay. I seen way to many that will not hold a charge or the battery is just no good.

Dei 508d proxy

Name:  51F942SJGCL_SL500_AA280_1.jpg
Views: 5059
Size:  16.8 KB

Sometimes refered to as a headache, but is a good layer. Its job is to warn a theif before he gets to close to the car by making the alarm shoot out a warning chirp. And if he gets to close it will make the alarm go full trigger. Just time consuming to get it set up right. I advise to set it up closer to the evening instead of the day. Because its more sensitive at night.
You can find them for about $65-$80

Dei 507m digital tilt sensor

Name:  DSCN3063.jpg
Views: 5105
Size:  114.4 KB

Great for detecting a car being lifted up. I rarely use them because a well set up shock sensor should pick that up. Still a good unit to have if you have extra cash to pick up one. Price range about $50 and up.

Dei 506t Audio sensor

Its all right to have. I would put the money somewere else on security, Theives really do not like to break windows. First it stands out at night driving the car and some cops look for this. But is a cool layer to have if you a in window prone area that have alot of smash and grabs. Price range from $30-$45

Dei 513t Mini piezo siren

Name:  DSCN3065.jpg
Views: 5279
Size:  75.4 KB

Please purchase the dei 513t. There are alot of people selling knock of ones on ebay that look like the dei unit. Big problem. They are not the same. All you are buying is a mini siren thats not loud at all. And it sounds like a mute siren that should be in your engine bay. The one to the right is a fake one. This is the 5 time I came across one. I here prepping a alarm that a member sent and when done. I went to test it and was like WTF? I will do a sound link so you guys can hear for yourself! Price about $25 for a dei unit. Ebay special $3 bux. You pay for what you get.

GPS tracking

The ultimate in car security. Tracking is usually a seperate module installed independently of the alarm. And if installed right. Will be the best investment you could make. You are notified withen 15-30 sec of the car being tampered with. So this gives you enough time to catch the theives in the act. This unit has saved many members cars and other cars that i have installed this unit on. This unit is nowere near lo-jack. Its better. Lo-jack is not gps so you guys know right now. With lo-jack, a cop has to drive around to find the signal. Then follow the signal till it gets stronger. Lo-jack is a beakon. Unlike GPS that a pin point fix on the location. This unit will tell the police exactly were the theif took your car. And if they are towing it. You have real time tracking. And since you were alerted to the car being taken. You can meet the theif at the chop shop, home, park or were ever they decide to take your car. Its the same unit that chp is using on the bait cars out here in socal. There are many units out right now that I will vouch for. Autopage c-8, computrack from compustar, Of course the clifford 210c or any dei lines, and a private company called"track alert". These units have been the key to recoving cars in matter of mins and hours undamage. Once people start investing in them we could put these theives out of business. Or make it not worth doing cars anymore.

I will not vouch for these cell phones tracking system. Simply they do not work correctly period! They are not reliable. I put it to the test with a clifford unit. I wasted my time to bring you facts. The cell phone unit had me 2 hours away from the location of the car. The clifford unit. Right on point. Both had a full stealth install. Once again you get what you pay for. Lo-jack has came up very good lately. They now offer earlie warning system. So you are alerted if the car is moved with out you. You get a transponder to carry on your key chain. If that chain is not next to the car. You get a page. The only problem with lo-jack is the install. If you can. I reccommend that you have it relocated to a stealth install.

Name:  DSCN3064.jpg
Views: 5058
Size:  69.7 KB

Use this thread for any gps tracking system questions

https://honda-tech.com/forums/audio-security-video-27/dei-210d-mobile-iq-gps-tracking-system-plus-any-other-gps-tracking-systems-2853340/

This is the clifford unit. If you can afford it you should get it. If you drive or own a highly modded car and you love it. This is your best friend. You spent 4k on that motor. You could atleast purchase this. Price is about $599 un-installed. Instalation is the key to this. I reccommend a full stealth install. Price is between you and your installer.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .

I hope who ever reads this takes the time to do their security system right. Its not hard to protect your car. With just a small investment. Your car will be with you for a very long time. Also most insurance companies give discounts to car alarms that auto locks your doors. And to cars with tracking systems. I know I save over $700 a year on my cars with the systems installed. Good luck to all and what ever you do. Wrx-killer-sti-eater!

Check in every now and then. I will keep this thread up to date on all new alarm releases and security extra's!

Last edited by wrx-killer-Sti-eater; 12-01-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: added text
The following users liked this post:
Old 03-11-2009, 02:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car alarm guide and how to pick out a Security system to meet your needs!-OPEN!

fancy shmancy! I should upgrade to that gps tracky thingamajig. I should also get my car running so I can drive it to your new place to get the thing installed and maybe my spare keys back haha.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car alarm guide and how to pick out a Security system to meet your needs!-OPEN!

Hands down, My bro is good at what he does. Thank god he is fam and my car is secured to the fullest. Get gps you don't know how many times its has saved us.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

excellent guide man
can we expect a diy from you?
Old 03-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dohcvtak
excellent guide man
can we expect a diy from you?
I will do a write up on a full stealth only I think. Reason is because If i do a basic it would show to much info. And to many people would copy it. And it would take the suprize factor from a theif. But a full stealth there would be no way to get to it unless you pull the dash. And there is no way to do that in time.

I have to sit and think on how I going to do it. I want to give as much info as possible. But keep you guys secured. Give me about a couple weeks.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha major props man.. your love for this shiz shows
Old 03-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish I read the part about digital tilt and audio sensor before I bought mine! lol!
Old 03-14-2009, 11:41 AM

Concerning: http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...1/DSCN2613.jpg

I just wish that pocket area were a bit larger on 6th generation (96-00) Civics. Mine's getting stuffed in odd places in the dashboard, heh.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow what a write up! Thanks for the info, but for GPS tracking what about "Zoombak"? It seemed to get good reviews. Can't wait for the stealth install write up.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You said not to buy off ebay. But these look exactly like the one you show in the pictures. Are these legit or is it weak stuff? oh yeah does these fit with any alarm because i have compustar and its not enlisted in their product

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEI-520T-BACKUP-...3%3A1|294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEI-513T-MINI-PI...3%3A1|294%3A50
Old 03-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i found this
http://www.asianwolf.com/backup-battery-siren.html

might get these but want to know how i can install these myself. i call the place that did my alarm they say charge like 60 bucks for labor!!!
Old 03-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do not get the mini siren off ebay. They are fake. I will do a sound test of them. You might want to pm mickycivic about them. He sent me two mini siren to add to his alarm system to prepp. Once everything was done. They were not loud and sounded like a weak horn. I sent him his fake ones back and a dei one. He bench tested both ans was like wtf. You pay for what you get.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater
Do not get the mini siren off ebay. They are fake. I will do a sound test of them. You might want to pm mickycivic about them. He sent me two mini siren to add to his alarm system to prepp. Once everything was done. They were not loud and sounded like a weak horn. I sent him his fake ones back and a dei one. He bench tested both ans was like wtf. You pay for what you get.
oh okay thanks. what about the asianwolf one?
Old 03-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On the section of GPS Tracking..... I can't the GPS in the clifford website... I'm not searching properly?
Old 03-27-2009, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Werd!!!
Old 03-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Nocture
On the section of GPS Tracking..... I can't the GPS in the clifford website... I'm not searching properly?
No its not going to show in the dei website anymore for about a year. You can thank ebay and non-dealers and dealers that like to help drive down map pricing.

You can order the same unit as the dei version from www.mobileiq.ca . This is the same company that makes the dei gps tracking unit. If you have a dei tracking unit. You be brought over to there website in the next 4 years if dei does not renew there contracts. I in the process of switching over to mobileiq for gps tracking.

If you have any tech questions please make a new thread.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what about hooking up relays for for like the fuel pump, main relay, ignition, starter. what would u recommend to use to trigger these relays such as hitting the ac button or defogger etc... just to give u a little more time to catch em
Old 03-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not needed, When I do alarm installs. I only do the main relay. Because it kills the fuel pump, injectors and part of the ecu. No need to do more work them whats neccasary. Igniton and starter kill are useless and you can see from all the stolen car threads. I have the alarm control the kill switch.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a few things to buy, gotta secure my baby before i start doing any engine work
great guide!!
Old 04-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Would a 98 Integra need an immobilizer bypass module (555D/555DW/555H)? Which one?
Old 04-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car in the picture looks very familiar. Haha.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey bro ever got the full stealth DIY thread yet? I wanna purchase off you and have the convenience of just following your step by step writeup and locations on where to get the wires for specific cars
Old 04-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

that would really help for us out of state DIY guys lookin to purchase your products. I sent you some PM`s
Old 05-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool
Old 05-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any recommendation for non auto start alarm with 2 way paging. Seem like all the paging alarms comes with the remote start. TIA!

Quick Reply: Car alarm guide and how to pick out a Security system to meet your needs!-OPEN!