Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

Five years and counting: my low budget Integra build

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Five years and counting: my low budget Integra build

Awesome build!
Old 01-02-2017, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're soooo close! Can't wait to see the finished product! I know I've said it before but your attention to detail is amazing. Very refreshing to see how meticulous and innovative you are about every single aspect of the build and the culmination of all the details is going to be awesome to see!
Old 01-03-2017, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't care how long updates take as long as there is an update. I was worried this was going to be another "hey guys, I decided to sell the car that I worked really hard on to some dumbass kid who is going to neglect it because they don't have the skills to finish the build and in 5 years people will post pictures of it looking like crap sitting in someone's backyard sitting slammed on cut springs, rotas and with a fart can, and everyone will be nostalgic for when it was a cool build" post.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Better that you found a garage and bought a house that will allow you to keep building than to sell off the project! Congrats on the house too. The first thing I do once I buy a house will be to outfit a garage the way you described. Post pics when you get them!
Old 01-16-2017, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you see the recent downstar documentary? Frank shouted out your old silver EG bay as being the most motivating car to him. Thought that was cool that you motivated him! And it didn't surprise me at all to hear him say that because that thing was amazing!
Old 01-21-2017, 05:01 AM
Spongebrad Squarepants

Originally Posted by rollinmyda
Did you see the recent downstar documentary? Frank shouted out your old silver EG bay as being the most motivating car to him. Thought that was cool that you motivated him! And it didn't surprise me at all to hear him say that because that thing was amazing!
You should have seen the donuts that he brought me one day at the track. WOW!!
Old 03-01-2017, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats on the house purchase. I have been following your thread and keep coming back every so often to check on the progress.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any updates?
Old 08-16-2017, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been so long since I updated this build I completely forgot I owned this car!

So, there is news. I have a new windshield installed but am still waiting on the new side windows to get installed. I'm casually searching for a good EG wiper cowl to replace the scratched, dinged and mildly cracked Integra one I have before installing the freshly powdercoated wiper arms. Brandon from B.Rouge Built has the Integra is at his shop patiently in line for the titanium exhaust as well as a new front crash bar. I can't complain that no work has been done to it as he's been doing some great exhaust work on Lamborghinis. Also, the intake and exhaust aren't even all that's needed before getting to the dyno. I realize now that the Penny & Giles sensor on the throttle body isn't compatible with KPro. Luckily, they offer one that is. I have that on order but am looking at a 12-13 week lead time. Yes, that's not a typo. Still no radio but that's the last thing on my list after a more powerful battery. The powersports battery I bought doesn't have the ***** to get the power through all the junction points to the starter. I've got some leads on Lithium Ion batteries that should have the CCA's but still fit in the existing battery recess.

From there, get it on the ground. Set the ride height. Torque the suspension. Break in the clutch and brakes.

Oh. I almost forgot; the car runs.

Last edited by phunhaus; 11-19-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad to hear the car runs. I hope when it is all done you will get some pictures up for us!
Old 08-21-2017, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the reasoning behind all of the clamps on the side of the carpet? I recently purchased a brand new carpet for my EG and it's so stiff and a pain to get in the car. The plastic pieces on the side of the carpet are really stiff and I think that might have something to do with it.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The carpet I bought is from ACC and it doesn't come with the side plastics, not does it come pre-cut. Those clamps were there to hold the plastics in place while the adhesive dried. If yours isn't an OEM carpet and came with the side pieces then hopefully they're in the correct place(s). If it is and is just stiff then working it to "break it in" might help.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the response! Yeah it's OEM & came with the side plastic pieces. Just super stiff so I may have to try the C-clamp idea on the side plastic pieces.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Any updates? Even if it's a simple opening of the hood, anything!
Old 10-29-2017, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What pedals did you use?
Old 11-19-2017, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So, how to catch up at this point? It's been over a year since I've updated this thread and it's all because I haven't even plugged in my computer since moving into a new house. I had a chance just now, with no scheduling conflicts, so better late than never, right?

As it stood the last time any pictures were posted it was in my "shop" in a running state - by running I mean it fired, idled, but was not driveable.

There was still some fabrication to work to tackle, namely the front reinforcement and titanium exhaust. Brandon (from B.Rogue Built) spent a hot and sweaty day working on my WRX with me and taking time to formulate his plans for the Integra.

Although I still didn't have a radio for the Integra I was picking up random parts for the WRX. I happened upon this factory woofer accessory and went to install it. Little did I know but the WRX already had one installed so why not put it to use on another car?

I decided I wouldn't use the Subaru recommended installation spot (under the passenger seat) since the Vision rails don't offer any clearance for such nonsense. I figured I would go old-school-EF style and put it against the fire wall in front of the passenger's feet. I honestly couldn't care less if this thing gets kicked or ruined. I doubt it'll even do much to fill out the sound but I have it so why not use it? To gain the access I wanted for bracketry and mounting I removed the A/C evaporator core box.

Then with cutting and reshaping the factory supplied brackets I mounted the woofer and wired it into the factory radio wiring. It's a low-draw amp for the woofer so it pulls straight from the radio harness. If this was a Subaru it would plug in between the radio and dash harness with jumper leads for the amp. Since this isn't a Subaru I tapped into the radio wiring. In retrospect I could have (maybe should have) created a removable jumper harness. Oh well. If I ever do something like this to the 510 then perhaps I will...

Fast forward some months and I was spending time and money on the house. Since I have a separate work area with a two-car garage I need a new set of tools and supplies, right? Workbench, cabinets, tool boxes (yes, plural), a new - but different - collection of tools for the house, etc. all took time and money away from the Integra. But eventually it made the journey from my shop to Brandon's shop. For those that don't remember what it looks like under the hood I took a refresher. The bay hasn't been wiped or washed for almost two years so I must thank the wind on the highway for blowing the dust off it!

While he's been busy turbocharging exotic cars I have been trying to put in a little work here-and-there on the Integra. I don't want to take his time away from pressing builds but at the same time I don't want my hunk of **** warding off Lamborghini owners. It's been slow going but I make the trek for small bits to occupy my time like mounting the radiator overflow tank.

I also buttoned up the rest of the interior and final mounted the KPro with the factory DC2 OBD2b bracket and protector. The ECU sizes are the same so it was a perfect fit. Here is a blurry picture of exactly none of that. Yeah, still no radio. I probably won't buy one until the last minute as technology changes so quickly. If I bought one at the onset of getting the car assembled it would already be obsolete.

Some recent progress gets us to some titanium fabrication! Brandon has a lull between projects as the single-turbo R8 is back with the owner and the single turbo Gallardo Superleggera is finalized awaiting the tuner. This meant he could spare a few waking minutes to work on my heap. Instead of tackling the front reinforcement or exhaust he surprised me by tossing out the aluminum intake in favor of his own titanium flair.

He has a different way of approaching design than I do. His ideas for flow and presentation are usually very "organic" where they have a natural flow. Some are visually very complicated but beautiful when seen as a whole. He knows my "style" and the idea behind this car so he reigned himself in and did something to honor the minimalist approach. I can appreciate that as I can appreciate his little "twists" literally as he didn't want a rigid industrial piece. Those pie-cuts don't follow the same plane and twist the intake towards the front of the car which is a big departure from the old aluminum piece.

One area where he doesn't tread is "destructive modification." On his in-house projects all products are rigidly based - I'd say required - to be 100% reversible. That means anything bolted to the car uses the available factory holes. Nothing is drilled, enlarged, "clearanced" or modified that can't be undone. It makes sense when you're dealing with large investments and not disposable Hondas. To that extreme he only went as far on the intake to the fender liner and waited for me to come out and cut the hole. It was humorous to me but I understand. If I'm not happy with the size, alignment, etc I can only blame myself!

Since he stopped the intake waiting on me, Brandon started up on the three inch titanium exhaust. Unfortunately the picture I took of the "B pipe" under the car didn't come out so you'll have to make do with the "over axle" section being fabricated. This will be the only junction in the exhaust as the B pipe starts at the header, makes its way around the fuel tank and turns up just in front of the rear lower control arm. After the V band clamp the pie cuts will lead into the titanium muffler.

While the car is at his shop and there's no way I can help with any welding and fabrication I keep myself busy on the small list of things to still accomplish. The Integra had never moved under it's own power and lived on jackstands at my workspace. Because of that I had the suspension height set high. Now I got to use some really cool (ok, maybe just dorky) Race Ramps to load the suspension and still provide under-car access. I set the approximate ride height and torqued down the suspension. Maybe these are going on my Christmas list. I really enjoy them!

As you can see, the rear windows are still to be installed. I don't mind them being out and don't care if they're in so there's no rush on that. I know Brandon will eventually call out a glass company to install when he's got time to babysit them. Again, I don't want my car to take awayany of his time so it really is the lowest priority for both of us. Well, for me anyay. I'm sure he wants it out of his shop.

I wish there was more progress for you guys given that it's been a year. Now that I've got my computer hooked back up I'll try to take better detailed pictures of the small things going on with the car.

Last edited by phunhaus; 11-21-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EKlscoupe_98
What pedals did you use?
They are Veilside pedals.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Car looks beautiful as always. Always thrilled whenever there is an update, big or small.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

great work as usual, glad to see some progress on it!.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, guys. and Happy Thanksgiving to anyone still on the forum!

Casey, since you are the refurb and OEM parts acquiring master, how about helping me locate a good EG wiper cowl? They are discontinued, unfortunately. Know anyone parting out an EG or building a racecar, or going with a California-cool sheet metal cowl?
Old 11-24-2017, 07:29 AM
No Jodas

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Why not get one of those carbon ones with the wiper holes plugged? Respray flat black for a low key OEM+ look.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome build man!
Old 11-29-2017, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to find some friends who have titanium piping laying around and are used to welding on Lamborghinis. Car looks great man! All the silver/gray/titanium makes this thing look so sterile and surgical it's really cool.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just finished up reading this whole thread. I'm in love with your car. I've always had a love for making things look oem and the way you executed your ideas was quite impressive. I've been kicking around an idea of k swapping an em2 and going completely for an oem look. Your build is truly inspiring and reading this thread makes me want to work on mine!
Old 12-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by phunhaus
Thanks, guys. and Happy Thanksgiving to anyone still on the forum!

Casey, since you are the refurb and OEM parts acquiring master, how about helping me locate a good EG wiper cowl? They are discontinued, unfortunately. Know anyone parting out an EG or building a racecar, or going with a California-cool sheet metal cowl?

not off the top of my head, Id like to have a new one myself even though mine is in good shape. If I see one in reasonable shape I will let you know. I used SEM trim black on my dd cowl and skirts. As long as there isnt damage to the plastic and only fading, its damn near impossible to tell the difference

Quick Reply: Five years and counting: my low budget Integra build