Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Odd idle, possibly slight ticking, but I don't think/hope is my valves...? [kinda long]

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Odd idle, possibly slight ticking, but I don't think/hope is my valves...? [kinda long]

First of all, here's my setup: Toda Spec A camshafts, ITR springs/retainers, Skunk2 Cam Gears, PYR Racing p72, AEM CAI (now stock because I ripped my fender lining out somehow), Tanabe Racing Medallion.

Last week, I got a reprogrammed p72 from a guy on H-T which shifted VTEC, changed my fuel map, and raised my rev limiter. I've been told by numerous people (on HT) that my valvetrain can handle RPMs of up to 9k. I've only brought it up to 8900 once (measured from the stock GS-R tach), and I don't think I'll do that again because I don't even know if I'm making power that high. Anyway, I did a few runs through the gears to see what the ECU did for my setup, and I shifted on average around 84-8500. Afterwards, my car started to idle kinda funny. The note my exhaust makes is kinda lumpy, but my RPMs aren't fluctuating. Because I already bent my valves once, I'm kinda freaked and I'm not sure if I'm tricked into hearing things or not, but it seems like I hear really soft ticking. It's nothing like when I bent them on a 3rd to 2nd misshift though. Even with all this, my car pulls really hard, so I don't know what the problem is.

I've since then swapped the ECU out for my stock one because I've had to drive long distances, and my gas mileage was getting owned (220 a tank...). This seemed to help quite a bit and restored my gas mileage. The exhaust still makes the lumpy sound though. I don't hear any misfiring luckily, like when I had bent valves. I also did a check that my friend did when I bent my valves where the spark plug wires are pulled while the car idles. If the cylinder is operating correctly, the car should struggle when a wire is pulled, and it did, for all four of mine. I also did that "screwdriver test" that people on HT have talked about, and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to listen for, but everything sounded pretty normal when I did it. All this leads me to believe it's not my valves, but then what could it be? I'm thinking, it might not be bent valves, but the 8900 RPMs thing might have thrown them out of spec. I've also heard that it could be a timing issue, and also that stock injectors tick pretty loudly. Could the ECU have done something to them permanently? I don't have any tools to fix the problem, or any money right now, so I hope it's nothing major because I need my car to get around to school and stuff. I also don't have the know-how to do the work myself. Anyone had any symptoms like this on their car?
Old 02-22-2004, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Odd idle, possibly slight ticking, but I don't think/hope is my valves...? [kinda long] (alfaaay

do a compression and leak down test if your concerned about the motor.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Odd idle, possibly slight ticking, but I don't think/hope is my valves...? [kinda long] (alfaaay

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiR831 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do a compression and leak down test if your concerned about the motor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I would if I could to save money and learn how to do it, but I don't have the tools for that type of thing
Old 02-23-2004, 04:33 PM

a bump before I start my homework...
Old 02-24-2004, 10:28 AM

One more bump.