Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

Wiring gurus, I'm calling you out!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 07:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wiring gurus, I'm calling you out!

This is the wiring diagram for the passenger seat of a 2003 Acura CL Sport. I have a different car. These seats bolt right in (almost), the bolster support is great, they're comfortable, they're heated, and they're leather. The 03 CL-S has the wiring for them completely integrated into the cabin subharness, which includes two "multiplex junction" boxes (basically miniature ECUs). It wouldn't be cost effective for me to run the CL-S subharness (the boxes themselves are $200 each), and if I did, I have a feeling it would become even more of a wiring nightmare.

The heat circuit (different page) I have figured out and working. The recline switch and motor (top left) I have wired and working - I just need to replace the fuse with a breaker, so it doesn't blow every time someone tries to lay the seat down.

I'm running into a problem with the seat base forward/backwards switch, though. RED/BLK is power, easy. YEL/RED and YEL/BLK are switched signal, also easy, but there is no ground, so I can't just wire it straight to the motor like I did with recline. The plug on the right side of the diagram runs to the control box under the seat. I have tried every combination of wires I can imagine, finally culminating in A1/A2/A11 wired to the power seat slide position sensor, A4/A14/A15 wired to the switch, A6 terminated, A7 grounded, A10 constant 12V, A14 terminated, A15 grounded, A16 to slide switch, A18 grounded and constant 12V (no difference), A20 grounded, B1 to the slide motor, B3 constant 12V, B5 to the slide motor, and B7 grounded. It doesn't matter how I wire it, 12V travels into the control box, but never gets to the motor.

The switch and motor are both confirmed working - if I manually wire positive and negative to the motor, it moves in each direction depending on which wire I run hot, and which I ground. The switch itself opens and closes, according to my voltmeter.

To completely remove the harness from the equation, would I need to run a pair of relays, one for forward, one for backwards? Or does a power/ground swapping relay that rests completely off exist? I'm thinking I can power the relay(s), and use the seat switch to activate them/it.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:10 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Wiring gurus, I'm calling you out!

Hmm...would I need a 2P3T relay, or are there 2P2T relays that rest in a neutral position?
Old 07-30-2013, 08:42 AM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you resize that screenshot from your bootlegged version of Mitchell OD5, I'll help you out.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

First off, that wiring diagram was given to me by another member of the forum, and second, what's wrong with it? It looks fine on all of my computers
Old 07-31-2013, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For some reason the image won't come up for me but, for a circuit like that, those 2 control wires should be attached to relays that ground when the other control wire is powered.

Just like the relays in this circuit:
Old 08-01-2013, 09:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

You even properly labeled the relays...I think I might love you! I'm putting these seats in an EJ6, and have a DIY thread in that section, but it's buried by now. When I update it (hopefully this weekend) I'll toss a link in this thread in case someone finds this in the future.

Thank you!