Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Icebox vs Short Ram or Cold Air?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Icebox vs Short Ram or Cold Air?

Right now I have the Comptech Icebox. What are the Pros and Cons versus a Cold Air or Short Ram Intake.Im thinking about getting a Cold Air.

Hope fully Mustclime inputs..he seems to have a lot of knowledge!
Old 10-23-2009, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Icebox vs Short Ram or Cold Air?

Skip short ram. Only upside of that is less chance of hydrolock by water getting into the tube. Cold air is ok, but most are made out of metal, which we all know gets hot pretty quickly. Take a look at the power chamber from password jdm.Its a carbon fiber intake with a massive chamber. I have it on my car and it does greatly increase the horsepower and throttle response.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Statutory_Ape
Skip short ram. Only upside of that is less chance of hydrolock by water getting into the tube. Cold air is ok, but most are made out of metal, which we all know gets hot pretty quickly. Take a look at the power chamber from password jdm.Its a carbon fiber intake with a massive chamber. I have it on my car and it does greatly increase the horsepower and throttle response.
really? i relocated my bat to the trunk and have all that space but i fabricated my sri and cut it at the bend and sits right behind my driver headlight. i dont know if it would make a diff from the setup i have now.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

see
Attached Images   
Old 10-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in that case you want to reduce the bend as much as poss. intake tuning is typically at a max length for hp while reducing turns to maintain a level of torque what you have there looks like it would work fine, short rams including the v2 do nothing but heatsoak and become useless, powerchambers do their thing but they still don't win out against a well made cai even made of metal their flow characteristics beat out other styles of intakes. remember in the end you need to get cool, dense, oxygen rich air to the manifold very quickly.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so in other words mine looks good. right? not thread jacking jw, call me crazy but i felt a big diff after doing this and even at take off at red lights it didnt feel slugish
Old 10-24-2009, 01:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by STUSSYxDUNKS
Right now I have the Comptech Icebox. What are the Pros and Cons versus a Cold Air or Short Ram Intake.Im thinking about getting a Cold Air.

Hope fully Mustclime inputs..he seems to have a lot of knowledge!
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=237451

check it out and think about what you want to do with your car.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Statutory_Ape
hmm this is good knoq because i was thinking about purchasing the pw jdm intake w/power chamber and batt relocater but I was just about to ask if it really is worth the money and how it felt on ppls cars..sounds like it is..anybody else have this on their ep3?
Old 10-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

EP3 DC5 DC2

it doesn't matter, cold air is always a win.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kobeballer96
so in other words mine looks good. right? not thread jacking jw, call me crazy but i felt a big diff after doing this and even at take off at red lights it didnt feel slugish
yes looks great
Old 10-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rglassl16
hmm this is good knoq because i was thinking about purchasing the pw jdm intake w/power chamber and batt relocater but I was just about to ask if it really is worth the money and how it felt on ppls cars..sounds like it is..anybody else have this on their ep3?
i personally don't think a power chamber is worth a dime.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No answers just comments,side convos, and a link(thanx btw not neing ungrateful)
Old 10-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by STUSSYxDUNKS
No answers just comments,side convos, and a link(thanx btw not neing ungrateful)
in this case, answers = comments. an answer isn't something that you want to hear or follows any type of form.

the general consensus is that for power, CAI is the best. how you were unable to comprehend what the other users were trying to say was beyond me. maybe invest the money you plan on spending on an intake on some reading comprehension classes instead.

there isn't a 1 is always better rule for your question. if your area is prone to flooding, then it was almost be negligent of you to get a CAI.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eMpAtHy
in this case, answers = comments. an answer isn't something that you want to hear or follows any type of form.

the general consensus is that for power, CAI is the best. how you were unable to comprehend what the other users were trying to say was beyond me. maybe invest the money you plan on spending on an intake on some reading comprehension classes instead.

there isn't a 1 is always better rule for your question. if your area is prone to flooding, then it was almost be negligent of you to get a CAI.
I've never ever been the one to talk about someone's spelling or anything like that on an Internet forum, but before you start judging and trying to sound smart, you should probably make sure your English skills are up to par also. i.e. Capitol letters and basic wording.

I also appreciate you trying to help. First off the car is from New Jersey and it was on there when I bought the car. Now I'm thinking if I should keep it or get one of the intakes previously mentioned.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Like a cai, which is what you should get.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

FiremanG's post helped alot.I think ima keep the Icebox until i get outta WA nd go back to sunny *** Florida then i'll decide on a CAI to get.Thanks for the input...even you Empathy.******* lol
Old 10-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly is a waste of money!!!!!!!!!

Icebox is way better then the CAI and SRI... but to be honest with you my Hondata Air Box mod does the same things as you icebox and guess what it didn't cost me anything! So I could spend my money on something that will actually give me more power then an air intake!!!
Old 10-26-2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by rglassl16
My power chamber is worth every penny. I feel a great gain in throttle response as well as more hp and torque gains. I had a k&n cai on before this and i prefer the power chamber not only for performance gains, but as well for the added "clean" look of my engine bay.