Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

EP3 2nd Gear Synchro Grind--Engine Swap Now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EP3 2nd Gear Synchro Grind--Engine Swap Now?

Okay so I bought this car just over a month ago and it runs strong with just a few bolt-ons, but the 2nd gear grinds at high rpm hard shifts. The transmission works fine most of the time, I feel a very very slight grind going to second under normal acceleration. From previous experience with older B series transmissions this means the synchro is going bad but the transmission isn't necessarily doomed to fail anytime soon. It could last another 40k to 50k maybe longer depending on how much abuse I give it. The car only has 95k miles on it now. I bought the car as a daily but I've pretty much decided even though the car is fine to drive with intake and exhaust I do want to further modify as things need replacing or the time comes when I have extra money to spend on the vehicle. My ultimate goal is to either drop a CTR swap or build an all motor k20a2.

Now the question is should I buy and swap a 6 speed transmission now, knowing that I will eventually want one anyways for an all motor setup? I thought about rebuilding the stock 5 speed and received a quote for $2400 including rebuild with synchrotech synchros and an m factory lsd, but the general consensus seems to be the close ratio 6 speed is a better option if I'm not going to go FI. One option would be to buy the 6 speed used and have it sitting around for now in case my trans breaks and save some cash to hopefully rebuild and add an lsd to it before I have to install it. The way I see it though is say ballpark 1k for 6 speed and an additional 2400 for rebuild with synchrotech and m factory lsd totaling 3500. This makes me wonder if a better option would be to try and pick up a jdm ctr transmission lsd included and hope that it isn't grinding when I get it installed. This option would also get me a lsd transmission although oem and I'm told that m factory helical lsd is superior equipment. I have seen a CTR trans for sale on ebay for 2500. Seems kind of steep but the complete swaps are 4500-ish. This is a 3rd option i'm pondering. If I'm interested in an upgrade over the k20a3 and I want an all motor setup complete with 6 speed lsd trans, should I just start saving now for a complete CTR swap? If I buy a built k20a2 block down the road it would also entail kpro which is a significant investment as well. If I buy the CTR swap I think I can use the stock ecu for now and the CTR engine harness to make the reverse lockout work with my USDM ep3. I read something stating that reverse lockout can be a problem when transplanting a 6 speed transmission into the EP3 so I may have to source an rsx engine harness as well as the transmission if I want it to work correctly?

I know this is a long post but I have a ton of options to consider and I'm hoping for some positive feedback from anyone knowledgeable on the subject. Please help!
Old 09-02-2016, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: EP3 2nd Gear Synchro Grind--Engine Swap Now?

Ok, I got your message so here are some on my opinions on your issues.
1. On my UKDM EP3 CTR, second gear was known to be the first gear to go during hard shifting and performance driving. As for the USDM EP3 with a weaker 5 speed tranny, I would assume your gearbox has been abused. If you can continue to drive it daily like you said without much issue, continue to do so.
2. Your prices that you got quoted for a rebuild sound terrible, downright criminal in fact. Check the Syncrotech website and see that they charge $400 for a rebuild (read the fine print)
3. Have a plan first. Right now you seem to be all over the place with your dreams of buying this tranny for this motor, rebuild.. blah blah blah. Sit down, check your finances, and really, really put some thought into what you will be using the car for. Are you going to be using it for real open wheel racing? Daily driver? Stop light drag racer? Internet keyboard racer? Check your dreams at the door before you proceed, have an honest discussion with yourself in what truly your car is going to do.
4. Buy a daily driver that you will not modify to get you to work/ school/ or whenever you need to go to AutoZone to get those sweet fake stick on vents.

Remember, check your feelings at the door...
Old 09-03-2016, 02:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EP3 2nd Gear Synchro Grind--Engine Swap Now?

The car is mainly going to be a stoplight racer with occasional 1/4 mile track time. Ive had several B series swapped civics in the past and reliability has been great after getting the initial kinks figured out. This is why originally I figured a CTR swap would be the way to go with OEM reliability/longevity. I know im all over the place in my ideas and that is why Im asking opinions. Thanks for your post. My whole idea is upgrade as things break and the trans has minor issues beginning. Because it is not a cheap part, I am trying to develop a plan now. Just for the info I checked synchrotech's website
http://shop.synchrotech-transmissions.com/Honda-Civic-Si-2002-2005-C0205-476.htm
It looks like for the Ep3 5 speed they have them in stock for 1300 rebuilt but this does not list LSD or carbon synchros. For 1300 rebuilt I might want to try and get a lower mileage type s transmission and run it stock for now. At least I would be 6 speed and get better all motor gearing out of the deal. I dont plan to boost as I dont want reliability issues.
Synchrotech does offer 400 dollar rebuilds for the type s trans but thst does not include parts. Synchro master kit is 6 or 7 hundred and LSD is another 6 or 7 hundred i think. So you talking 2k plus the cost of trans. Maybe best is to try and find the type r trans for now.