Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

2006 Civic Si: How did the eliminate torque steer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Civic Si: How did the eliminate torque steer?

Ive read on the latest Road and Track that they have eliminated torque steer for the new Si, does anyone know how this was done?

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2006 Civic Si: How did the eliminate torque steer? (EP3tune2RULE)

A limited slip diff does not eliminate torque steer.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Re: 2006 Civic Si: How did the eliminate torque steer? (triple)

maybe the new lower engine mount and torque damper.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:43 PM

I'm almost positive it has to do with the suspension layout. Don't quote me on this, but I'm sure inverted tie rods or coilovers with a lower connection arm help with the issue. Someone please confirm if this is correct or not.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:07 PM
New User

The additional engine mount(s) that Rancid mentioned (that being upper and lower) are designed to help eliminate wheel hop on high rpm or hard launches. They significantly reduce the backward and forward motion of the engine during those lauches.. and may actually contribute to reducing/eliminating torque steer but i'm not 100% sure...
Old 11-18-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: (Bluewind)

yes...the new suspension design is much much better at putting it down...

but the more stable engine is equal in that too
Old 11-19-2005, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NCNBPDC5)

Any specifics?? I can't get a real answer here
Old 11-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In my experience torque steer comes from a vehicle that has un-equal length drive shafts. Used to work for Nissan and they are notorious for torque steer. Honda's design have typically been centered on equall length shafts. Also think of the Subaru commercials when they refer to their, "symetrical awd." If all 4 drive shafts are equal (symmetrical), then if there are any traction issues, They won't come from torque steer. I think thats the way things work. Hope this helps.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Re: 2006 Civic Si: How did the eliminate torque steer? (DevoS)

Yeah, I've always understood that it come from unequal length driveshafts.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2006 Civic Si: How did the eliminate torque steer? (DevoS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DevoS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In my experience torque steer comes from a vehicle that has un-equal length drive shafts. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ding,ding... You are correct.

My 93 DX (with the D15B7) had unequal halfshafts. The B16A2 swap had equal length units; and now my new 2006 Civic LX Coupe (R18) has EQUAL length shafts as well!

Old 11-20-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: 2006 Civic Si: How did the eliminate torque steer? (honda93)

torque steer comes from the trans wanting to apply more power to one wheel than the other making the driver counter steer which is called torque steer.

A quaife type diff can transfer torque side to side which will help to alleviate torque steer.

So one of the reasons why the civic doesn't have torque steer is because of the lsd.

Old 11-20-2005, 01:01 PM

Yep... with equal length halfshafts and a reasonably good alignment, front drive cars shouldn't really torque steer (much). Bumpy pavement can cause some torque steer by changing steering geometry (mainly toe), however.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by triple &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive read on the latest Road and Track that they have eliminated torque steer for the new Si, does anyone know how this was done?

Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Keep in mind that car magazines don't always discuss the same topics in each article. A review for a car ten years ago might have criticized a car with torque steer and the review for the new Si says Honda eliminated it. That doesn't mean every car in between also had a torque steer problem... and it certainly doesn't mean the '06 Si is the first to (more or less) solve the problem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stewie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">torque steer comes from the trans wanting to apply more power to one wheel than the other making the driver counter steer which is called torque steer.

A quaife type diff can transfer torque side to side which will help to alleviate torque steer.

So one of the reasons why the civic doesn't have torque steer is because of the lsd.</TD></TR></TABLE>

True, but an LSD mainly helps eliminate torque steer during wheelspin. Torque steer during wheelspin is caused by the big difference in traction (obviously). That's different from torque steer during acceleration while both wheels HAVE traction. In that case, the main cause for the torque steer is some difference in rotating assemblies on each side. In most cases, it's the different half-shaft length... if one is shorter, it's also lighter, and it's easier to accelerate that side. When one side accelerates faster, the car (and its steering) doesn't want to go straight.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the ep3 didn't have much in the way of torque steer. neither did the RSX.

in fact, the only recent honda with a lot of torque steer was the cl-s with the 6spd + lsd. Limited slips create torque steer.

Perhaps you're referring to the supposed elimination of bump steer?
Old 11-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chunky)

You need lots of torque to have torque steer Neither an RSX nor a EP3 have much of that. That's why it's rarely an issue for the 4 cylinder Hondas.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chunky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the ep3 didn't have much in the way of torque steer. neither did the RSX.

in fact, the only recent honda with a lot of torque steer was the cl-s with the 6spd + lsd. Limited slips create torque steer.

Perhaps you're referring to the supposed elimination of bump steer?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-22-2005, 10:11 AM

i bigger scrub radius will also create torque steer.