Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Theft paranoia + Insurance Q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Theft paranoia + Insurance Q's

Hello gang.

A few days ago I caught 2 people peering into my car at around 3am. One had a flashlight, the other had some long object - they ran away when I came out.

Insurance: 21st century; family plan; Comprehensive/Full coverage

1. It's more likely that theives will vandalize and steal parts out of the car than steal the whole car (they'd have either be clever or tow it)

2. Comprehensive coverage should cover any stock parts on the car, correct? Any complications with this? [ Ex: Broken glass = no problem...explanatory right?]

3. Will comprehensive coverage cover any items left inside the car? By this I mean loose items such as CD collection, computer parts, home audio parts, etc. I often transport such items, and it'd be impossible to remove them every time. Do I need receipts and pics of these items? I don't have proof for EVERY item...

4. What about in-car and aftermarket items: Headunit, TEIN EDFC, etc... Is that stil considered "aftermarket" ---> subject to an aside from comprehensive ($1000 aftermarket is included, but pay more for extra). Would I need receipts or pics for these too? Are Pics good enough? I buy USED often!

5. Replacement of parts: How does the insurance assess the value of parts?

6. LABOR: Will insurance pay for labor to replace stolen/damaged parts?

7. Stolen Engine: This already happened once. I now run a swapped engine, but I'm not sure the DMV has any record of what engine (VIN and all)? What happens if the engine is stolen again? Do I still get a replacement?

Hypothetical: What if my swapped engine were different: JDM b18c or K-series or maybe an ls/vtec. They wouldn't know, and I'd get stuck back to stock eh?

---------------
IMPORTANT: Illegal items on my car: Will the police or insurance care about any illegal mods to my car?

Do any of the following warrant a 2nd thought about even filing a report?:

- momo steering wheel
- removed airbags
- weld-in rollcage
- Bride seat + takata harness
- OEM JDM HID's (lighting equipment)

I mean, I don't want them to make me remove everything...that'd suck. I'm not sure that this stuff is legal...

-- Hopefully this will help me decide what is worthwhile and what isn't on my insurance plan. It looks like I may have good coverage, but perhaps I want to modify it a bit.

Sorry for all the questions, but I just realized that there are probably friggn' theives even in my protected area. There have been a few thefts lately...

Edit: ANd how will vandalism or theft affect my insurance rates? It shouldn't matter because it's out of my control, but Insurance = evil, and they need to cover themselves against fraudulent bastards so...
Old 08-27-2005, 05:16 AM

Default Re: Theft paranoia + Insurance Q's (archmage)

Sounds like questions you should be asking your Ins Broker or Agent, not some Honda forum.
But...

1- they would rather have the whole car to do whatever. Unless it's a crack head looking for money or something of value.

2-Comprehensive Automobile Insurance:
Comprehensive is very similar to collision insurance, the main difference being that comprehensive covers damage caused to your vehicle caused by any unknown party or "act of God".

Vandalism, flood, hurricane, theft, and fire are all events usually covered by comprehensive automobile insurance. (But make sure to read your comprehensive insurance policy for exact coverage details.)

Like collision automobile insurance, comprehensive coverage will pay up to the fair market value of your car (less your insurance deductible.) And although it's not legally required by any state, you will probably need it if your car is financed.

3-Additional coverage options:
Tape/CD Coverage*
If you often carry a collection of tapes or CDs in your car, you might want to opt for this coverage. It typically will pay to replace your tapes or CDs should they be damaged in or stolen from your insured car as a result of a covered comprehensive loss.

Sound System*
Are you concerned about protection for damage to your car stereo? If so, ask your agent about the Sound System coverage to protect your investment.

4- same as (3) that would fall into additional cvg.

5- I think that depends on your cvg and what you have opted for.

6- Most likely. see (3)

7- That should have been documented to protect your *** in a future situation. But call your Ins co and ask. I would think that they would have to make the final call.

"Illegal items on my car: Will the police or insurance care about any illegal mods to my car?" Like what? a built in bong? I have no clue.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Theft paranoia + Insurance Q's (Bbasso)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bbasso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like questions you should be asking your Ins Broker or Agent, not some Honda forum.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 08-27-2005, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Theft paranoia + Insurance Q's (Bbasso)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bbasso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like questions you should be asking your Ins Broker or Agent, not some Honda forum.

"Illegal items on my car: Will the police or insurance care about any illegal mods to my car?" Like what? a built in bong? I have no clue.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like a question I would ask my lawyer.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when my car was recovered, i had a detached steering wheel and no airbags in the passenger. cops didn't say jack sh*t. actually, they were impressed with the steering wheel and whatnot. my insurance now knows about my removed passenger airbag and they didn't say anything either. my best advice to you would be get a garage after finding out all your questions from your insurance company.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

2. Comprehensive coverage should cover any stock parts on the car, correct? Any complications with this? [ Ex: Broken glass = no problem...explanatory right?]

**Yes to the first part, and no to the second**

3. Will comprehensive coverage cover any items left inside the car? By this I mean loose items such as CD collection, computer parts, home audio parts, etc. I often transport such items, and it'd be impossible to remove them every time. Do I need receipts and pics of these items? I don't have proof for EVERY item...

**items that can be used in a veh will be covered under ur auto policy, but items like home audio, and computer parts should be covered under your homeowners insurance, or renters if you have the endorsement, they might need reciepts depending on the adjuster, and pics would definetly help your case**

4. What about in-car and aftermarket items: Headunit, TEIN EDFC, etc... Is that stil considered "aftermarket" ---&gt; subject to an aside from comprehensive ($1000 aftermarket is included, but pay more for extra). Would I need receipts or pics for these too? Are Pics good enough? I buy USED often!

**items used for racing are excluded on all insurance policies, but an aftermarket head unit will be covered if you have reciepts, again depending on the adjuster, and if u have pics**

5. Replacement of parts: How does the insurance assess the value of parts?

**they will get you "Recycled" parts, but for type r's is pretty tough so they will most likely get new parts IF your adjuster is good and know what they are doing. Some adjusters i know often mistake type r and gsr parts and dont know a damn thing about type r's**

6. LABOR: Will insurance pay for labor to replace stolen/damaged parts?

**yes, ins will pay for reasonable labor costs in your area, some regions charge a higher rate for labor**

7. Stolen Engine: This already happened once. I now run a swapped engine, but I'm not sure the DMV has any record of what engine (VIN and all)? What happens if the engine is stolen again? Do I still get a replacement?

**you will get a type r motor unless you can prove you had something else in there, like a bill of sale, or work order records**

Hypothetical: What if my swapped engine were different: JDM b18c or K-series or maybe an ls/vtec. They wouldn't know, and I'd get stuck back to stock eh?

**yes**

- momo steering wheel
- removed airbags
- weld-in rollcage
- Bride seat + takata harness
- OEM JDM HID's (lighting equipment

now these items might be covered but its iffy,
if u had an adjuster like me i would say no to the steering wheel-----aftermarket wheel used in race cars---
airbags ok, we wont replace but you wont get into trouble
roll cage--------used in racing events not covered
bride seat and harness--------not covered racing items

hid's covered

i just denied a claim yesterday for a guy trying to claim a boost controller that was stolen

Old 08-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You must let your insurance company know what all you want to insure on your car. Also save all your reciepts!
Old 08-28-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re:

Hello.

Thanks for all the info guys.

I'm going to login to my account and have a closer look at the policy. Perhaps after that I'll try to talk to an insurance agent.

Damn...insurance doesn't cover all that I thought it would...oh well, I had better be more careful what I leave in there then.

Thanks again.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Re: (archmage)

Insurance for an ITR is crazy, . One of the reasons i sold my car is because the insurance is so expensive for a relatively cheap car. A E46 BMW M3 is only about $200 more dollars a year.

25K Car VS 55K Car
Old 08-28-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Re: (Im_In_There)

Garage? I feel uncomfortable with my CRX out, let alone a type R.

Do you have any kill switches? Maybe you should take some precautionary messures instead of waiting for this to happen. At least force them to tow it away instead of drive it away.

Unplug dizzy, remove ECU, install fuel pump kill switch, and install alarm. Do as much as possible to protect that thing.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Insurance is expensive

my car 1,800$ per year im 26 type r
i looked into getting a 350z 680$ per year
its a crazy thing
Old 08-30-2005, 01:22 AM

Default Re: (typer2k1)

Wow, my insurance can go down THAT much with a different car eh...crap!

Yea I remove my ECU, have kill switch(es), and another few tricks. I also garage my car more than half the time, but sometimes I can't. I think maybe the new people I see roaming around my neighborhood just moved in, or are friends of new movers...that doesn't explain the weirdos with the flashlight and what was probably a slim-jim crowbar type tool...sick...

At least if they break my windows, I have tint, so it'll hold a little bit.

After my midterm (less than 7 hours from now) I'll go ahead and look into insurance options. When I'm paying that much, a few dollars here and there aren't going to bother me...