Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

OT: Lifting a car Up when working on it? Best method, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Lifting a car Up when working on it? Best method, ideas?

Alright, I have a basic jack and jack stands but it never raises the car enough really to work confortably under it. So here are my questions:

1.) Does anyone know where I can get a jack that will give me lots more clearence? Can anyone reccomend one or a palce to get one that is bigger than usual?

2.) Does anoyne know if it is possible to find a place that will in effect let you rent a hydraulic lift? Like they have a garage and you pay to use it by the hour.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2001, 03:09 PM
Lip
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OT: Lifting a car Up when working on it? Best method, ideas? (onyx00)

buy one. they aren't that expensive and you'll get more then your money back out of it in use.

if really really necessary....you could always put small sheets of plywood etc under your small jack to give it more height. extra wood pieces always come in handy. I mean...you could even drive up some boards to get clearance to stack a bunch of plywood under the stock jack...then jackstand the car.

seriously....even if its a sears brand or one from pepboys etc....get yourself one of the larger hydrolic jacks. i literally drive around with mine in my jeep
Old 10-28-2001, 03:09 PM
New User

Default Re: OT: Lifting a car Up when working on it? Best method, ideas? (onyx00)

1) If you get a hydraulic jack and raise the jackstands all the way up that should be more than enough. It should be something of the 1 1/2 feet off the ground nature.

2) There are places that do this but they are far and few. Wish I could say more but there are places you can even rent air tools as well. (i mean with a lift, etc)
Old 10-28-2001, 03:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: OT: Lifting a car Up when working on it? Best method, ideas? (HokieITR)

get an extra set of stands.
jack the front up... then go to the back and jack the back up.
your car will be about 16-18 inches in the air. if you want more, go with Lip's method of stacking boards. that'll give you some more height. a jackstand can get pretty high if it's of decent size.
Old 10-28-2001, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This site should help you out and answer some questions.
http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/jacking.html

I forgot to add that I would not feel bad settling for a Craftsman 3-3 1/2 ton jack with a set of 3-3 1/2 ton jackstands. The set containing 2 stands and the jack usually run about $100 and I think that is more than fair. There are more expensive ones out there. If you plan to work on your car daily, then I would get something a little more durable, but if you plan on doing work once in a while, then I would stick with the Craftsman product.

[Modified by KANJI, 6:05 PM 10/28/2001]
Old 10-28-2001, 04:24 PM
New User

Default Re: OT: Lifting a car Up when working on it? Best method, ideas? (Lip)

the cheap ones aren't expensive, but i wouldn't want to risk my life working under a car held up by a cheapy service jack that cost like $50... i'd suggest looking into Lincoln for a service jack. i bought a 3-ton one for about $400... ATD makes a 1.5 ton one for around $103 i'm sure that'd be fine for your purposes...and NEVER get under your car with just a simple tire jack. those are designed to only lift a corner of the car up enough to change the tire in case of emergency. and (at least on an fbody) the spot where you put the jack is just a flimsy piece of sheet metal.

jack stands: the more the merrier... i have 6... 4 3-ton, 2-6-ton
Old 10-28-2001, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OT: Lifting a car Up when working on it? Best method, ideas? (KANJI)

If you could spare the extra change
http://buy.snapon.com/catalog/pro_de...s&store=canada