Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

OBD1 teggy time

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 02:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD1 teggy time

I have a 1995 gsr with 135k miles on it when I bought it last year for 1800$. A MIL gave me some great leverage in driving the price down far below asking. For a year I drove this car with only two modifications. The drop coils previously installed were garbage like most out there, replaced for skunk 2 pro s2's. Old rusty 4 wheel disc brakes made way for drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads. After fixing the open v-tec solenoid circuit the MIL went out and I went on to smog. Didn't pass first try but ignition system tune up and brand new cat and I was on the road with legal tags. That called for some long tube headers and a test pipe and it was this way the car ran for nearly 10,000 miles.

Started getting some problems.
My idle speed increased ever so slightly
Then it began hunting. Around the same time I high centered on something and tore an open in my H02 circuit. And I ran it in open loop, with an embarrassing idle for far too long.
An external head gasket oil leak by the number four cylinder on the exhaust side bothered me. A broken exhaust manifold stud right next to the leak only heightened the frustration. And so continued the idle. From 1 to 3 thousand it would hunt in an extremely uniform, noticeable, head turning fashion. I loathed stop lights. A throughout bearing noise became louder and louder during all of this as well. I needed to know what was causing this hunting idle before I started to hate driving a car that I couldn't wait to drive in the past. After a hail mary diagnostic procedure of unplugging my MAP to watch for an effect in the idle, I began to see white smoke, and the time had come. I'm taking this bitch apart. And by bitch I mean b18c1.

Parts and procedures I have currently in motion;
Head gasket (felpro)
Head decked .015"
Cleaned FITV
Cleaned IACV
Manifold gaskets (felpro)
Valve stem seals (came with the head gasket kit)
Valve stem seals (huge pain in the *** for a DIY, picture evidence)
02 circuit back on, no codes
Comp clutch
Adjustable timing gears (not sure if I want to install just yet)
Gates Timing belt

/
Now, I'm still up in the air on several different things:
In doing some of this work I severely damaged one of my injectors, luckily caught it pretty soon, so i'm on the market for injectors and possibly a whole fuel delivery system if something rubs me the right way. But, why would I even want more fuel if I can't get more air?? I've got the long tubes, I've got a "cold air" intake. But the ECU is gonna control injector on time as it sees fit for the conditions given by the sensors, making more available fuel useless if undelivered. Throttle body and intake manifold would then be next on the list to aid in the air/fuel balancing act, if I were to go bigger on the fuel. Forced induction next on that front, but I've already got a b181 with forged internals being pieced together in the back of the garage for my turbo set up.

But I've got another idea. I've head OBD1 has the ability to be tapped into and modified. The fuel trim, to be more exact. If anyone has any advice as to how to do this, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if anyone has any opinions about which direction I should head with this engine, feel free to lay em on me.

Sense the head is off right now i'm considering doing a valve resurfacing, any good threads out there? I was having a hard time finding one. Here's some pictures. Soon I'll have more, as well as some resilts.
Attached Images    
Old 11-20-2015, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD1 teggy time

Just replace the injector with an OEM injector. As for your engine management lots of DIY on the Internet to teach you how to socket an ECU and possibly burn a chip.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're in Chico? I swear I've seen that car around before.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rollinmyda
You're in Chico? I swear I've seen that car around before.
you probably have, I live on third and oak. It is pretty easy to spot with the horrible idle problem and the throw out bearing noise. If you live in chico too message me, I could use as many opinions as possible about which direction I should take this thing. I'd like to stay as close to stock as possible when it comes to bolt on's and internals, but a tune and top end rebuild is what I'm after at the moment.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bigtimegambler
Just replace the injector with an OEM injector. As for your engine management lots of DIY on the Internet to teach you how to socket an ECU and possibly burn a chip.
Thanks man, that's good advice and i'm gonna go that route, I've had some bad experiences with aftermarket parts. I'll check the threads here on Honda tech about socket'n my ECU and what chips I could possibly mess with. I take it that would be under the Engine tuning and management forum? anyways, thanks again
Old 11-20-2015, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes it should be. Or you could search it on google too!