Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Knocking Sound in front of engine.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 04:09 PM
vx3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking Sound in front of engine.

Please can any one help me I have a 92 Acura Integra GSR B17 and I have rebuit the heads, valve job, and also new pistons, dizzy, knock sensor. After I replaced the knock sensor I put the car on the computer and it state that I need a throttle body. When I started the car and now it is making a knocking noise in the engine. I checked the valves and adjusted them because they were loose. YES there is plenty of oil.

What do you think it can be??? Please help I don't want toget rid of this car??
Old 03-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Knocking Sound in front of engine. (vx3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vx3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I have rebuit the heads...What do you think it can be??? Please help I don't want toget rid of this car??</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you confident in your work? What kind of noise exactly is it? Knocking, pinging, ticking, and so forth....??
Old 03-29-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Knocking Sound in front of engine. (Schister66)

are you sure its not the bottom end? could be rod knock!
Old 03-29-2007, 04:54 PM
vx3

It's a clacking noise when it starts and when temperature rises it click clik noise. Yes I am confident in my work I am a Airplane mechanic and my friend is a machinist in heads and valves.

Where is the rod knock on the Acura Integra GSR?

I don't know if its in the bottom the sound all I know its in the front of the engine I hear it more from the driver side then the pass.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:04 PM

did you adjust the valves with the engine dead cold? what do you mean you put the car on the computer and it told you that you need a new throttle body? that doesnt make sense....
Old 03-30-2007, 07:15 AM
vx3

Default Re: Knocking Sound in front of engine. (deviate)

Yes we did the adjustment with the engine cold. The computer stated that the throttle position sensor was bad. I know it doesn't make sense. Also after we installed the knocker sensor everything started happening.

What do you think I should do, should I redo the valve adjustment?
Old 03-30-2007, 07:30 AM

Rod knock would be on the rods. I would check your valve adjustment, and if it seems ok, have someone else check it. if it's still ok, take off the oil pan, oil pickup tube, windage tray, and block girdle and see if you can move any of the rods on the crank. If any of them move, at all, rebuild the bottom end and do it right the second time.

If you did a fresh build, and you are an airplane mech, why didn't you adjust the valves before you started it? Also you should know what part of the engine rod knock is coming from. Don't overstate your abilities to keep from losing face, it won't help resolve your issues.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:34 AM

Start by re-checking all of your valve clearances. Make sure that each cylinder is at TDC before adjusting. Snug down the adjuster so that you have to use just a little bit of effort to pull out the feeler gauge. No job is to simple to F-UP.

Come back if that doesn't fix it.

I'm ASSuming that everyone knows what a rod bearing failure sounds like, and that you would know that awful sound right away.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:25 PM
vx3

Default Re: Knocking Sound in front of engine. (deviate)

Well sorry for asking about the Rods but this is his wife writing not him and I am relating everything to him about this because he is about to sell the car and I want him to keep it. He didn't ask him where the rod was located I ASKED SORRY AGAIN AND THANKS FOR THE TIP. I just been trying to resolve this hopefully with all the inputs here we cant try to resolve it tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vx3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well sorry for asking about the Rods but this is his wife writing not him and I am relating everything to him about this because he is about to sell the car and I want him to keep it. He didn't ask him where the rod was located I ASKED SORRY AGAIN AND THANKS FOR THE TIP. I just been trying to resolve this hopefully with all the inputs here we cant try to resolve it tomorrow.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's all good! Just a strange question coming from a professional mechanic. Try the above, and we will go from there!
Old 03-30-2007, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FYI Integras arent airplanes Mr.Airplane mechanic.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:58 PM
vx3

Default Re: Knocking Sound in front of engine. (CompanyFlow)

Let me ask a question do you think the bearings have gone bad? Just notice that the oil jet was broken and have been driving like that. My hisband will be adjusting the valves tonight and installing a new oil jet?