Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

integra transmission how many quarts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 06:39 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default integra transmission how many quarts?

okay... i looked on here but didnt get a definte answer on this... i just changed the fluid in my tranny well actually nothing was in it... but dont worry i didnt drive it like that i just did a swap in my hatch with the b18 and went to just change the fluid and nothing came out so i pumped in 3 quarts of castrol synetic 10w30... and i was told to just pump it until it over flows... well i didnt reach that and also found someone saying that it takes only 2 quarts... so whats the real answer.... how many quarts in a LS trans? or Overflow till it drips out?
Old 04-21-2008, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you can meaure do 2.4 but i usually overflow it a little bit after that mark and use honda mtf if you reserch...
10w30 is not the type of motor oil i would use anyhow if i were to put motor oil in a transmission that is supposed to have honda mtf, lubricant, that smells like cat pee
Old 04-21-2008, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do not use motor oil, drain that out.

The tranny takes 2.4 quarts. Go to superhonda.com and DL your service manual. On the tranny case there are 2 plugs, one is a drain and one is a fill. you simply add oil until it comes out the fill hole, use only Tranny fluid designed for Tranny's with Syncro's (Honda MTF, GM Syncromesh).

Do not fill it until it overflows, do you fill your engine with oil until it overflows?

BTW i see you are from Peach Bottom, I use to go out there way back and jump of the cliffs at the closed quarry out there..... those were fun times.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (96 GSR-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 GSR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do not use motor oil, drain that out.
Do not fill it until it overflows, do you fill your engine with oil until it overflows?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
10w30 is fine to get you by, but you really should put some real mtf in there. Synchromesh works very well.
Filling the engine and the tranny are two entirely different things. To make that comparison is terrible. When the case is at its max allowable limit, it runs out the hole. You should let the overflow run out. Just make sure the car is level when you do it.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:50 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (hatchling37)

yup... i know the car has to be level... so i should fill it with about 2.5 quarts of honda tranny fluid... which i have one quart at home right now... and then let any excess run out the hole that i filled it... gotcha...

yeah the cliffs and shet if fun when i was little and what not... but now that im older i say screw that... all the under toe and currents... that shet can swipe you away any second... too scary for me...
Old 04-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hatchling37)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchling37 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
To make that comparison is terrible. </TD></TR></TABLE>

not really, I cant think of one thing that requires oil that you fill all the way up. You dont top off your Engine, Brake Res, PWS, Tranny etc. And if you were in the construction equipment industry like me, you also never fill Hyd. Tanks or turntables, rear ends or any other system that requires pertoleum oil.

Also of course you can get away with running motor oil in your tranny, you can also get away with not changing your oil for 10k miles, but that dont make it right
Old 04-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 GSR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do not use motor oil, drain that out.

The tranny takes 2.4 quarts. Go to superhonda.com and DL your service manual. On the tranny case there are 2 plugs, one is a drain and one is a fill. you simply add oil until it comes out the fill hole, use only Tranny fluid designed for Tranny's with Syncro's (Honda MTF, GM Syncromesh).

BTW i see you are from Peach Bottom, I use to go out there way back and jump of the cliffs at the closed quarry out there..... those were fun times.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol the procedure as per Honda is to fill till it overflows. Filling your manual trans is different than filling your engine. There's no pump in your manual trans. No pressurized oil. Just gears swimming in it.

Fill it till it comes out of the fill hole. You have to have the car on level ground. It takes around 2.4 qts to do this.

Use Honda MTF.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:01 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 GSR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not really, I cant think of one thing that requires oil that you fill all the way up. You dont top off your Engine, Brake Res, PWS, Tranny etc. And if you were in the construction equipment industry like me, you also never fill Hyd. Tanks or turntables etc. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Engine: Oil pump. Pressurized.

Brake fluid: corrosive and expandable inside of a relatively easy to by pass seal.

PWS: Pressurized and expandable inside of an easy to bypass seal.

Hydraulic tanks: Pressurized fluid.

Manual trans: completely sealed, not pressurized, low rate of expansion.

There's the difference.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

I took his comment as he did not remove the level plug and was filling the tranny until it came out the top, which is what I based my comment off of.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Engine: Oil pump. Pressurized.

Brake fluid: corrosive and expandable inside of a relatively easy to by pass seal.

PWS: Pressurized and expandable inside of an easy to bypass seal.

Hydraulic tanks: Pressurized fluid.

Manual trans: completely sealed, not pressurized, low rate of expansion.

There's the difference.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Those are differences, but you still dont fill them all the way up, if he was refering to filling it all the way to the fill plug, then disregard all my comments.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:33 AM

when i worked at honda any time that i performed any type of transmission service i always filled till it came out the fill plug. n so did all the techs. thats the way it's done. as for using 10w30 oil for tranny fluid. depending on the year of the veh. (i believe it's obd1 n prior) 10w30 motor oil is the exact equivalent of the MTF that honda recommended in those particular year models. nowadays there are new levels of tranny fluid with different additives that the 10w30 doesnt have. u can get away with using 10w30 oil but eventually u r gonna have to get the correct MTF. hope this helps
Old 04-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 GSR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if he was refering to filling it all the way to the fill plug, then disregard all my comments.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, since you had just said that, that's what I meant. It's all good
Old 04-21-2008, 09:45 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 GSR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I took his comment as he did not remove the level plug and was filling the tranny until it came out the top, which is what I based my comment off of.

Those are differences, but you still dont fill them all the way up, if he was refering to filling it all the way to the fill plug, then disregard all my comments.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed. We should have been more clear. You fill to the fill plug till it drips out...not to the top of the gear housing.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:17 AM
* B A N N E D *

okay what i did was i used a gas or kerosene pump thing that would take gas out the jup and you just squeeze the orange handle and it pumps it in... i put 3 quarts in and removed the tube... and nothing flowed out... so do i put more? its a 90 integra S1 trans...
Old 04-21-2008, 10:18 AM

Default Re: (cowboys22cardinals22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cowboys22cardinals22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">okay what i did was i used a gas or kerosene pump thing that would take gas out the jup and you just squeeze the orange handle and it pumps it in... i put 3 quarts in and removed the tube... and nothing flowed out... so do i put more? its a 90 integra S1 trans... </TD></TR></TABLE>

well it only takes 2.4. Are you on a level surface?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:40 AM
* B A N N E D *

yes level surface car is level also... i know that much... all im saying is that it was flowing out after i put in 3 quarts...
Old 04-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh well, as long as its coming out of the level check hole you are good.

EDIT: you are checking the level from the right spot correct?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:56 AM
* B A N N E D *

i think everyone is saying that it should flow out the hole that im filling it at right?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:58 AM

are you filling it into the right hole? It's the one with a 17mm fill plug next to and slightly above the axle.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:06 PM
* B A N N E D *

well now that i looked it back up i think i filled it in the wrong hole... the one that i filled it at was an allen key that i pulled... pretty much up and to the right... i'll check it out... but i guess the 10w30 can be used to just flush the trans and then i will put honda tranny fluid in it...
Old 04-21-2008, 10:11 PM

allen key or a 3/8 square key?
Old 04-22-2008, 04:10 AM
* B A N N E D *

the 3/8 drive of my ratchet to get the drain plug out and then too the right and up is a allen key and thats where i filled it... but now that i look at a diagram its up and to the left is where i want to fill it... i think i have this figured out now... just when i looked at it the first and then changed the transfluid i guess i remembered it diffrently..