Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

using motor oil as transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using motor oil as transmission fluid?

hey guys im about to fill the tranny, but what do you guys use for tranny fluid? i have heard you can use regular motor oil? any word on this?
Old 08-15-2007, 08:29 AM

Default Re: using motor oil as transmission fluid? (young noob)

I usually use Honda MTf but now I'm using Mobil 10w-30 motor oil.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it for manual or auto tranny.i am using oem honda maual tranny fluid but i have heard u can use 10W~30W motor oil as tranny fluid too.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats what I ve done in the past but I forget what kind example(10w 30)
Old 08-15-2007, 08:40 AM
orb
Honda-Tech Member

It can be done. Many people do that. I've done it in the past as a temporary thing.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow. WTF do you guys use motor oil as tranny oil????

Old 08-15-2007, 11:24 AM

yep i done it in the past for my hatch...wouldnt do it for my mr2...my brother had to temporary do it for his rb25 240 cause the tranny fluid leaked out so he did it to drive it back to the house...go get some redline
Old 08-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

Default Re: (orb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by orb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It can be done. Many people do that. I've done it in the past as a temporary thing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's perfectly fine to run 10W-30 motor oil in the (manual) transmission. Although most people prefer Honda MTF.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wiZCo)

for a manual tranny use SAE 30wt just plain 30 !!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 11:43 AM

No, you should not use motor oil in a MT. Yes, you can get away with it for a very short while, but you shouldn't use it for any extended period of time. If anything, maybe a few thousand miles. MTF is formulated to maintain viscosity and keep from breaking down longer than engine oil. They don't make MTF for nothing.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Re: using motor oil as transmission fluid? (MatterMatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MatterMatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, you should not use motor oil in a MT. Yes, you can get away with it for a very short while, but you shouldn't use it for any extended period of time. If anything, maybe a few thousand miles. MTF is formulated to maintain viscosity and keep from breaking down longer than engine oil. They don't make MTF for nothing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Manual says it's fine to use *SF* 10w30 or 10w40 in the transmission. Wal-Mart, at least in my area, stocks that stuff. You shouldn't use modern motor oil as it has different additives that can mess with the syncros. But it's not a problem to use motor oil in the transmission, as long as you use the right kind.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:58 AM
orb
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wiZCo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wiZCo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's perfectly fine to run 10W-30 motor oil in the (manual) transmission. Although most people prefer Honda MTF. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't get it. That's what I just said. LOL

Personally, I use Honda MTF all the time in all my cars, but, like I said, I've used motor oil as a temp. solution a time or two. haha... I love H-T.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've had honda service folk tell me to just use regular oil, that there's no difference.

and its what i've used for the passed 10 years

rock.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: (instrument)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've had honda service folk tell me to just use regular oil, that there's no difference.

and its what i've used for the passed 10 years

rock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If "Honda service folk" are telling you that there's no difference between 10W-30 motor oil and MTF, I'd take my car somewhere else to be serviced. UOA's have revealed that motor oil and Honda MTF are not the same, and the newest formulation is further improved over the previous fluid.

Honda MTF is not expensive and not hard to locate, and transmission fluid changes are not performed very often, so why not go with the proper fluid?
Old 08-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honda MTF is not expensive and not hard to locate, and transmission fluid changes are not performed very often, so why not go with the proper fluid? </TD></TR></TABLE>

x2. That's what I don't get with some people... how much are you actually saving by using motor oil? A few bucks at best. It's a temp solution, case closed.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it doesn't matter bro...some will say use honda MTF but some will say use regular motor oil. I've used reg. motor oil for the past 2 years and my tranny has been fine. In my opinion if your planning on tracking the car or taking it to the strip use the honda MTF oil. Done deal lock this thread plz....
Old 08-15-2007, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always have used 15w50 in my trans's and call it dumb if you want - but I've never had a single problem with any of them (besides my '97 EX which had a fucked up input shaft bearing when I bought it and I never touched the oil or anything before that...so iono what it had in it before).

You want a thicker oil, but not like gear oil that's like 195w-30 - too thick. 15w50 always does the trick, some pple will swear by Honda MTF. Others will swear by GM SyncroMesh or whatever.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

I've used 15w50 in countless transmissions w/o a single problem, so uhh, I'd have to say it does the job.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:42 PM

in my 90 accord.....the manual recommends using 10w-30 in the manual tranny.....not like that helps but im just saying honda's does use motor oil in the tranny
Old 08-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (spray_bombed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spray_bombed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in my 90 accord.....the manual recommends using 10w-30 in the manual tranny.....not like that helps but im just saying honda's does use motor oil in the tranny</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, same stuff, people don't realize often how much they're paying for a name sometimes.

OEM Parts often cost more than non-OEM ones, sometimes it makes a difference, not with oil.

Mobil 1 15w50 has been serving me great for awhile in all my cars ('cept my benz, auto, never changed the trans fluid in that).
Old 08-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I always have used 15w50 in my trans's and call it dumb if you want - but I've never had a single problem with any of them </TD></TR></TABLE>

I won't call it dumb, but it's not a good idea.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You want a thicker oil</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why would you want a thicker oil than what the transmission was designed to use?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, same stuff</TD></TR></TABLE>

Again, if you're stating that 10W-30 motor oil is the same as Honda MTF, that's simply incorrect. The viscosity and formula are similar (at least, the old Honda MTF was), but they are not the same, particularly with regard to additive packages.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">people don't realize often how much they're paying for a name sometimes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honda MTF can be found for less than $5 per quart, which brings the total to $15 for a complete B-series fluid change. Even if you went with a conventional motor oil selling for $2 per quart, you're still only saving $8 or $9 on a job that gets performed maybe once every year or two.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 614 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Re: using motor oil as transmission fluid? (spoolin69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoolin69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...go get some redline </TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't use redline in your honda tranny!! I dont have an official explanation as to the why of it, but at least 2 times I put it in a transmission that was ok and it had grinds after a couple months with redline. It was suggested to me that the redline may have been too "slick," the idea being that it din't have the right viscosity to help the synchros spin up, but I never really researched that theory. Flame away if you want, its just my personal opinion based on my personal experience.

10w30 motor oil is fine, but honda mtf is better. All mtf is is motor oil with some different additives to make it more suited to being in a transmission rather than an engine (less detergent, etc.). Some manufacturers actually spec motor oil for use in manual transmissions though.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the new MTF formula. works great
Old 08-15-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Re: using motor oil as transmission fluid? (spAdam)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spAdam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Some manufacturers actually spec motor oil for use in manual transmissions though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honda's one of them. They spec API Service SF 10w30 or 10w40.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: using motor oil as transmission fluid? (fdavie)

you want a good operating transmission theres only one oil to use...
The best PERIOD!

Name:  100_3152.jpg
Views: 14043
Size:  18.4 KB
Old 08-15-2007, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: using motor oil as transmission fluid? (fdavie)

... noff said

Quick Reply: using motor oil as transmission fluid?