Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

High rpm sputtering?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High rpm sputtering?

Hey my RPMS start to jump and go crazy around 6000 rpm. Then when i go below it goes back to normal.

I changed my cap/rotor/spark plugs/ spark plug wires.RPM

Im thinking it is the coil because low rpms pretty much before vtec is fine. There is no misfire no stutter nothing. Even when i hit vtec around 6k rpm the car does not hesitate or nothing, only the rpms go crazy.

My reason is if the ICM is going bad it would affect the car no matter what RPM im driving. I think it is the coil because the ICM is giving the coil the signal still, but the coil can't handle the high rpm loads anymore, giving me that crazy RPMs. Vtec still works only the RPMS go nuts.

Any insight? Ty

And i tried to search, most of the problems people were having were throughout the ENTIRE rpm band, not just high.

Also no CEL, car does not stall then come back to life. Just tach

Last edited by ramboPandA; 08-10-2015 at 12:46 PM. Reason: FIXED
Old 08-08-2015, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Re: High rpm sputtering?

Originally Posted by ramboPandA
Hey my RPMS start to jump and go crazy around 6000 rpm. Then when i go below it goes back to normal.

I changed my cap/rotor/spark plugs/ spark plug wires.RPM

Im thinking it is the coil because low rpms pretty much before vtec is fine. There is no misfire no stutter nothing. Even when i hit vtec around 6k rpm the car does not hesitate or nothing, only the rpms go crazy.

My reason is if the ICM is going bad it would affect the car no matter what RPM im driving. I think it is the coil because the ICM is giving the coil the signal still, but the coil can't handle the high rpm loads anymore, giving me that crazy RPMs. Vtec still works only the RPMS go nuts.

Any insight? Ty

And i tried to search, most of the problems people were having were throughout the ENTIRE rpm band, not just high.

Also no CEL, car does not stall then come back to life. Just tach
sound like the ICM not the coil. Test the coil and ICM. Usually if the tach goes crazy and theres no ill affect to the engines performance such as miss fire or sputter. its a sighn the ICM is going bad.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: High rpm sputtering? FIXEd

Car is fixed. No more sputtering at High RPM. I am however going to get a new ICM so everything will be brand new except a few things in there for the most part.

The part that was causing me problems was the coil. It was arcing or a short?

You can see the rainbow color on the black part. Pretty sure that means the electricity was finding a way out of the coil thus causing arc.