Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

HELP, OIL LEAK, possible blown head gasket..again?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP, OIL LEAK, possible blown head gasket..again?

My head gasket was blown so i replaced it with a new cometic gasket, i also put copper spray on it b4 i installed it, i have ARP head studs and i torqued them in the correct sequence and in 40, 60, 80ftlbs.

The very next day after i drove the car to school and i noticed oil running down the front of my block on the RIGHT side or PASSENGER side of the engine, 1st thing i thought was vtec selinoid, it has never leaked b4 but i had already replaced the cam shaft seal with an aftermarket with O-rings as well as the distributer seal, so i wiped the leak sprayed it all clean and watched for it again...

It came back by the next day only this time the RIGHT side DRIVER side is leaking oil as well and running down the block, it looks like its coming from the head, where the head meets the block on both left and right sides are now oily and wet and there is oil running down both sides of the block...

This leads me to believe it is not the vtec solenoid that my head was prolly warped and i didint realize it so now the new gasket is blowing?! idk

ANY HELP OR RESPONSES ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED, i need to figure out what to do as a next step to see if my gasket is blowing by oil...

My oil isn't milky, my coolant looks fine, my engine temp however does get pretty hot when the heat is not on after awhile, im afraid i may have to just tear the head off and do this alll overr agaiinnn aghhh.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP, OIL LEAK, possible blown head gasket..again?

Gasket isnt "blowing". That means the metal has seperated/broke allowing it to leak. Sounds like you have a warped head/block which isnt allowing it to come in contact with the gasket which then allows it to leak. Big difference in that and a "blown" gasket. Could also be caused by a spur/dimple in the head to block mating surface not allowing them to set properly. I'd double check everything else first though....oil can run all over the place and the head gasket is a good "catch" where it likes build up and look like its leaking from.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ im with him. Did you take the headbolts off in squence and back in?
Old 03-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you have the head resurfaced after you took it off? I'd take it to a machine shop and see if it needs to be milled a little bit since it may be warped.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I didnt resurface it, no. And i should have but i wasnt thinking when i did it cuz i just wanted to get it done. The oil im pretty sure at least MOST of it is actually coming from the cam shaft seals because i did notice yesterday that there was slight oil below them on the head running down, so that mainly eliminates that..

But NOW its starting to run hot like when the gasket was 1st blown, i just did a coolant flush and everything else is good. When i stay on the thruway for over 15 minutes at high rpms the car will overheat even with the heat on HIGH. agh. as soon as im off the thruway though its fine again, stop and go traffic is fine, i dont get it...

Only other thing i can think of is because my intercooler is so large that maby it is blocking the airflow to my radiator...

It just throws me off because it seemed like the 1st week with the new head gasket on the thru way or off it stayed cool at perfect temps, maby it was just colder out? idk..

It was 35 degrees yesterday adn at 3k on the thruway for 30min i was overheating bad...i dont think that is right, i think im gunna have to do a head gasket. Prolly block or head warpage.