Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Engine delayed crank or won't crank at all.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine delayed crank or won't crank at all.

I've been having a starting problem on my 92 Acura Integra GS with a 85.5mm B18C5 swap. It's getting worse the colder it gets outside. Basically, the engine won't crank over. If I turn the key, all of the dash lights come on, I can hear my BBK pump pressurize, but when I turn the key to the start position..... nothing. No click, no click-click-click, no spinning noise, total silence. Sometimes if I hold the key to the start position for a long period of time it will finally crank and it will start right up. It's really weird because this problem typically only rears it's ugly head if the car sits for a while in the cold.

Here's the things I've already replaced or diagnosed...

-Replaced Ignition Switch (brand new OEM)
-Replaced Fuel Main Relay (brand new OEM)
-Battery Voltage checks out at 12.2V
-Measured voltage at starter 12.2V
-Battery terminals are clean and secure
-I cleaned all of the grounds and made sure they had good connections (transmission, valve cover, thermostat housing, chassis)
-If it doesn't crank, I leave the key in the run position, take a wire straight from the positive terminal of the battery to the starter solenoid spade terminal and the car cranks and starts right up.

I've read a bit about a starter relay being the possible culprit, but for the life of me I cannot find it. I'm a part time mechanic and tuner, so I feel really dumb and I'm pissed off that I cannot figure this out. Any suggestions would be more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-15-2005, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine delayed crank or won't crank at all. (dplatt)

if you have an alarm it might be a built in defective- starter kill relay.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine delayed crank or won't crank at all. (GSRacer1)

Yeah, I thought of that as well. I'm going to check voltage on the solenoid wire while having someone try to start the car. If i'm getting voltage there and the car still won't crank, that eliminates that as a possibility. But thanks for your input. Anyone else?

Old 12-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine delayed crank or won't crank at all. (dplatt)

I just had a friend try to start the car while I checked the voltage on the solenoid wire (when connected to the starter) and it reads 7.5V..... seems a little low but I'm guessing it's drawing the voltage down because it's not engaging like it should. When in the engine bay I can hear the starter make a single click.... but then nothing. I'm picking up a new starter tonight and hopefully that will fix my problem. If not, then the problem has got to be between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid.