Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Car wont start sometimes, starter interuptor switch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start sometimes, starter interuptor switch?

I have a 96 LS and I just recently got it a couple weeks ago, it will start sometimes with no problems, then sometimes it will take a lot of tries to get it started like 5-10 times. The starter wont even crank over, the battery is fully charged and i haven't checked the alternator volts. All the instrument lights turn on and I just hear a click under the dash, I keep the ignition switch to the start position and pump the clutch pedal about 3-4 times then the car turns on.

What is the clicking sound under the dash? Is there an ignition relay or something?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car wont start sometimes, starter interuptor switch?

u got me. i been tryna figure mine out to.
u should find out beforeu end up like me. stuck and it never crank again. its been a week sincee i touch the car. .

i hear clickin also but i get power to the starter. bench test tha bitch and everything. some1 told me it was my ignitor. but issnt tha in the distubutor. . if it is it should crank atleast...
Old 07-27-2010, 03:18 AM
Trial User

Not sure what it is..........car starts fine now but its really buggin me
Old 07-27-2010, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course you have to troubleshoot when it is not starting. The first this to do is see if you are getting power to the small wire going to the starter (at the starter). If no power to the starter with the clutch pedal in then you have a couple of routes to go, it sounds like you are on the right track anyways.

The clutch pedal switch or the ignition switch, you will need a wire diagram of your car to see if there is a starter relay inline with the clutch safety switch. If so, the clutch switch and the relay can be bypassed (jumper), this will leave only the ignition switch. But from experience I would say that the ignition switch is not the problem, most Honda ignition switch problems operate the starter but when the key is released from START to RUN, the engine dies. This does not mean that your ignition switch is not bad but start with what I stated above first.

There are a multitude of relays clicking down below when the key is turned to RUN and to START. Even if a relay clicks, showing that the control coil is working, does not mean the the switch side is making good contact and allowing the flow of electricity.

You also could simply have a bad starter that takes several attempts to turn over although you should hear the solenoid make a single clicking sound. In your case, pumping the clutch pedal while holding the key in the START position should make the starter solenoid click each time you pump the pedal. If not look closely at the clutch switch and relay. I would not exclude and ignition switch that needs to be held to finally build up enough heat to make better contact. Try holding the key for say 20 seconds in the START position while holding the clutch pedal down, without pumping. If not start, I would say the ignition switch is ok.

Next step is to bypass the clutch switch then the relay but start at the top and monitor the starter solenoid wire for power as you go along, power to the starter with no starter action is a bad starter.