Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Can a fuse box go bad? or a unit in it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can a fuse box go bad? or a unit in it?

Here's my dilema. I have an 96 ls with a 2000 ls motor i just put in about 2 weeks ago. Running my 96 ls obd2a ecu.

So i drove the car about 100 miles after the swap. Got out of skewl and was on my way to get so new flanges welded to my exhaust.

On my way there my car completly shuts off. I was getting spark, but no fuel. So i immediatly began to think it was either my main relay or my fuel pump. So i towed the car home. I changed the main relay and fuel pump with some spare one's i had at my house and still nothing. Then i realized it was an electrical problem.

Checked all the fuses under the hood and they are all good. Go to the ones under my dash. Found a blown fuse. It wasent labeled on the fuse cover diagram. So I went and got the fuse box diagram online and found its fuse 24. Controls: Main relay, Alternator, VSS, Secondary o2, ELD i belive is electronic load detector, and my cruise control.
So thats why i wasent getting fuel. the main relay wasent getting power.

So changed the fuse to see what would happen, and poped again, as soon as i put the car in "on" position. Tried like 10 more times. and pop, clean cut. So now im thinkin short to ground...its the only reason for a blown fuse. So tried to look for it under the dash but there's to many wires in that harness, so i decided to take the dash out.

Open up the loom to look inside of it and found a fried black/yellow wire. I mean fried!!! So followed it and it goes from behind the fuse box, to the main relay, from the actual pin it splits up and it goes to a junction connector (pretty much wires go in but nothing comes out, it just distributes the power). Now on that junction connector the are three more black/yellow wires total of 4. Im guessing those go out to the VSS alternator and o2. checked those wires and they seem good. So i replaced the fried wire from the fuse box to the relay to the juncton connector. Turned the car on and it started smoking again,,,fried the wire AGAIN . And looked at the fuse, it got fat and melted. Since thats the main power wire for that circuit (its coming of the fuse) im thinking the only other possibility could be that the actual fuse box is F'd up.

Now is there a way to check for a bad fuse box?

Also where the fuse goes in the fuse box...it looks like it pops off. Its like a connector kinda, but it also shares it with fuse 25 which is for the SRS, now i dont have a fuse for the SRS in there right now since i took out the dash(airbags) so for safety reason i took it out.

Is there a way to check this type of plug in connector also?

If you have any other ideas of what it might be plz let me kno.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can a fuse box go bad? or a unit in it?

if you just swapped the motor, maybe your engine bay grounds are poor. that fuse was popping for me when i had a bad ground to the battery.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

something is shorting out. check the power wires for the o2 since they would are the most exposed to nature out of the items listed
Old 03-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thing is that none of the wire coming out of the connector got burned up. Just that only one going into into from the fuse box to the relay to the connector. So woulnt that mean that it must be before the connector?