Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

A/C compressor not turning on. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C compressor not turning on. HELP!!

Like the title says, my ac compressor just stopped turning on, and i have no idea what it could be. I checked the wires to make sure nothing is loose, checked the relays for the compressor and the fan, both are getting power. I bought new relays hoping that it would take care of it, and the compressor is still not turning on. So now im thinking i got a bad compressor, but i dont wanna go out and buy a new one if mine is ok. Has anybody had a similar problem to this, and is there a way to check the compressor to make sure if its working or not? Checked the freon as well and the guage is showing that there is enought freon in the system as well. Any info suggestions?

Modified by SloGizzer at 6:23 PM 8/12/2004
Old 08-12-2004, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C compressor not turning on. HELP!! (SloGizzer)

i've got a compressor for a GSR if you end up needing one.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:13 PM

Default Re: A/C compressor not turning on. HELP!! (tnord)

You may be low on refrigerant in your A/C system as well. The compressor won't turn on as a safety precaution if there is not enough oil/refrigerant in the system.

Go to your high pressure line, take off the cap and stick a pin or small screwdriver into the end (just like on a tire) and see if anything sprays out. If it sprays out at really low pressure or barely even makes a sound, that is a good indication of you being low.

I'd go to autozone, pick up a can of refrigerant (assuming it's R134a), and try putting a can in. You can then see it leaking out of one of the hoses if you do indeed have a leak. The refrigerant is only like $4.00 a can, and it only takes 2 cans usually to completely fill the system. I noticed when I did this to find the leak, when there was refrigerant in the system, my A/C compressor turned on and functioned like normal, just that it wasn't making the air blow cold since it was still leaking out.

If you have an intake on your car i'd check the a/c line that goes up next to it and runs under the battery. Mine rubbed a hole in my line and all the refrigerant leaked out. I know of several other hondas locally that has had that problem as well.

Just for reference, if you do have a leak, you'll probably have to have the system hooked up to a machine to have it evacuated and reoiled. Depending on how long it has been since the leak happened, you may need to replace the drier too.

My car is at the dealer right now having the line and drier replaced, and getting the system recharged. The drier runs $65, and the line was $85 :x
Old 08-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C compressor not turning on. HELP!! (Ramocheese)

I forgot to mention the refrigernat in my previous post. I checked that as well because i thougth that it was low on freon at first, but whenever i hooked up the can, the guage was showing that there was plenty of freon in it, it was in red actually, meaning that there is more than enough. I do have an intake on my car, and i put a sponge padding and duct tape around that line whenever i got the intake to preven it from rubbing against the line. I took my by pass valve off like a week ago and everything seemed to be fine with that ac line. Is there anything else that could cause the compressor not to turn on??
Old 08-12-2004, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anybody?
Old 08-18-2004, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would like to know too. I'm having the same problem.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:02 PM

Assuming your electrical system is good and you are getting power to the compressor and you are sure that you have a full charge in your system, check the
to see if the clutch is engaging on the compresser. You should be able to hear and see if it is. Look down at the compressor with the AC not engaged and then look down with it. If you do not see anything happening on the clutch pulley, your clutch is likely not engaging. You might want to pick up the Haynes AC manual at Autozone for further testing details.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C compressor not turning on. HELP!! (chrisnova)

My clutch isn't engaging.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe you have a faulty pressure switch