Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

B18B Throttle Blade Sticking When Very Hot (Track)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B18B Throttle Blade Sticking When Very Hot (Track)?

I'm just trying to get some reassurance so that I have an easy game plan for addressing this soon.

Engine is stock internally, B18B1 in my Integra, never swapped or majorly messed with. About 197,000 miles but extremely well maintained and healthy. Only mod related would be an AEM ITR intake with the dry flow filter (not oiled K&N).

Symptoms:

Car runs, drives, and idles perfectly under normal conditions. Typically within 1-3 minutes of driving around town, the CEL will come on, which throws a TPS code. With the CEL on, idle surges from about 550-850, but otherwise, the car drives perfect. Gas mileage is slightly decreased.

On track ONLY, usually in an afternoon session or once the car has been on track for 20-25 minutes, with the CEL OFF, the throttle will get hung up towards the upper limit of the RPM range while trying to accelerate to full throttle.

For example, coming out of a turn, in 3rd gear, and accelerating towards redline, it will hang up around 6,500rpm. It does not bounce off an imaginary rev limiter, the throttle position seems simply stuck. It is like on a Dyno Dynamics dyno if you put a lock on the load so that you can be full throttle yet not accelerating. The CEL WILL NOT come on after this happens. I simply back off the throttle, chill out for a second or two, and roll back into it and it is fine. This may happen once per minute or so, but is fairly consistent in high speed straights especially. Very frustrating.

However, if I drive it around easy, prior to heading on track for a session, to get a CEL on (still TPS code), I can drive the entire 25+ minute session and never have a problem at WOT. The throttle never sticks, and it revs freely to redline every single time. There is no loss in power that I can determine.

-----------

It seemed at first to be a purely mechanical problem; clean the presumably dirty throttle blade and be fine. However, the fact that it is 100% perfect on track with the CEL on tells me there may be more to the story. For autocrosses, daily driving, highway trips, etc.. the throttle never acts stuck. It only happens on track, and in pretty hot ambient conditions.

The easy button is definitely just replacing the throttle body, throttle position sensor, and maybe even the throttle cable. However, rather than just throw money at it, I'd like to understand what is actually happening and address it correctly.

Thoughts?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18B Throttle Blade Sticking When Very Hot (Track)?

whats happening is your throttle position sensor is bad
Old 09-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That makes too much sense When the CEL is on, the ECU is ignoring what the faulty TPS says, and revs freely anyways. With the CEL off, the ECU is listening to the bad TPS, and causing it to think that the throttle is "stuck."

The bad idle I know is just from the ECU running weird with the CEL on, so a new sensor should clear that up as well..
Old 09-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when you replace it, just make sure you calibrate it to zero properly per the service manual