Wheel and Tire

Legality of TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legality of TPMS

If you use the "bomb trick" or plain just dont run TPMS sensors in your winter set, are you technically breaking the law and giving insurance a way out in the event of a claim?
Old 10-12-2011, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Legality of TPMS

There are just a handful of states (Hawaii, Rhode Island, Vermont, and West Virginia) require a functioning TPMS system for the car to pass inspection (assuming it was standard on the car to begin with, naturally). To pass inspection, the vehicle’s Tire Pressure light or other TPMS-related warning lights must not be illuminated for any reason; even for a low or high tire pressure.

Many other states (DE, ME, MA, MS, MO, NH, NJ, NY, NC, PA, TX, UT, and VA) have state inspections but do not require the TPMS system to be working AS FAR AS WE KNOW !

As to the issue with your insurance company, we could never predict how any provider would chose to handle the issue. It would probably vary on a cases by case basis.

Most of the new Honda vehicles will "lock" the traction control system on if sensors are not present, which can make it very difficult to "rock" a car out when stuck in snow.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Legality of TPMS

I have heard the VSA does not change if TPMS light is on. I am very interested in this because I need to run winters but don't feel like bying a second set of sensors and paying the stealership $100 to sync them with the car... or risk a garage breaking a sensor when they switch over the sensors or tires to new rims...

I can pick up a set of fitted snows quite easily (without sensors), I have been told the TPMS light is purely an idiot light, and if you check your pressure regularly, you would be fine.

What's the "bomb trick"? I don't want to blow up my car lol