Wheel and Tire

center bore question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default center bore question

I have a 90 accord cb7. I'm looking at getting some wheels off a differnt car with the same bolt pattern. I already checked the backspacing and that is very very close not even enough for me to worry. Now I'm lost the accord for the center bore is 64.1 and the wheels I want is 71.5 I know honda's are hub centric right? Will this affect anything? I know the centerbore is for clearing hubs and stuff but it also center's wheels to right? So to sum it up this will be ok to run the wheels right? I mean aftermarket ones have huge holes in the center.

Thanks,
Wil
Old 06-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: center bore question

yes, you can run them w/o rings. just make sure all the wheels are true and the tires are balanced correctly. if you seem to have any type of vibrations at any speed then you may want to look into the rings.

so basically, the answer to your question would be NO, you do not necessarily need hub rings for your car.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you. Thats the word I was looking for is the rings. Wheels are good been in the car they are on a few times and it rides good.
thanks again
Old 06-10-2009, 03:53 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree with the above. When you use a larger center bore than the hub of the car, the wheel is no longer centered with the hub, and depends only on the lugs for centering. There is a significant risk that the wheel will not be properly centered. I've known plenty of folks who battled ongoing problems with wheel vibrations when using a center bore larger than the hub, without using hubcentric rings, even when doing all the right things when mounting the wheels. I've also known others who never had problems. So you might have problems, and you might not - which is why it's a significant risk. And it's one you can avoid, either by getting rims with the proper center bore, or getting hubcentric rings. I would recommend either of those options, rather than taking that risk.