Notices

Welding Helmets

Old 05-28-2015, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welding Helmets

Hey guys, I am in the market for a new welding helmet. I am looking for something that is a fairly low profile as I do a lot of cage/chassis welding which sometimes has limited space to work in. I am also looking for something with ample light sensors on the helmet. My current helmet is a cheap generic style, and only has a light bar on the upper section of the mask. I run into issues sometimes where it wont pickup the arc as I'm half in/out of a car or view point of the arc. What helmets are you guys using and how do you like them? My budget is $500 or less.

Thanks
Ryan
Old 05-28-2015, 07:02 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Welding Helmets

This is definitely a touchy subject... every person will have their favorite brand for one reason or another. I weld almost every day and have a variety of different Miller Digital Elite hoods in my arsenal. The viewing area is nice, the 4 sensors are in good spots, and they aren't super expensive. Most quality hoods will have multiple sensors and the headband will have the ability to adjust very close to your face if desired. It will also come down to which features you want from the hood also. No matter what you choose, going from the junk hood you have now to something of quality will leave you kicking yourself for not doing it sooner.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get everything from the 3M hoods to millier to Lincoln ones. They are all good hoods and in your price range. I use a few different hoods and even my one from lowes works really good. I use the Lowes one for mig and the 3m and Miller for tig, the tig ones just depend on what's closest at the time.

Just try on ones and see what you like. If I can say get the extra large viewing ones, its a nice extra little feature. You can also get ones the cool your face if you really want to get crazy.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a Miller digital elite and a harbor freight hood. I always find myself grabbing the harbor freight hood. I do chassis and exhaust/header work all day long.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Jackson and Speed Glass both make some really awesome welding helmets...huge viewing area, great sensor locations, and really comfortable...can't say I've ever used one for cages, but I know someone who has with the Jackson and thus far has no complaints
Old 05-29-2015, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys, I looked at a variety of helmets, and ended up going with the Lincoln Viking series 3350 mojo helmet. My work ended up paying for half of the helmet since I do some repair work for them. I'll try it out and see how I like it. All the reviews I've seen, most guys seem to really like it.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a lincoln. Got tired of waking up feeling as if there were sand in my eyes.
I use a cheepy shade 20.
I've been eye ballin the miller elite. Never tried one myself, but I hear good things.
I like the 3m''s also, then again.. Never tried one myself, but I hear good things.

:shrugs:
Fabtech expo is comin up in November. Maybe it's time to take a trip to Chicago.....

Naaah