Notices

Composite material temperature limits?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Composite material temperature limits?

I am hoping this forum is appropriate for questions about composites too.

I would like to fabricate a special piece out of some composite material. Exact material isn't very important, as long is it can be made with standard composite lay-up. I want to put it downstream of a Roots supercharger compressor outlet. I think that the maximum air temperature it will be exposed to would be around 275 deg F.

Can a composite material and/or the resin remain intact at these temperatures? Will the resin "melt" or deform? At what temperature are most composites stable?

I visited most of the major composite sites on the web, and none of them had this information. It wasn't in my composites book, either.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Composite material temperature limits? (Silverpike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Silverpike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am hoping this forum is appropriate for questions about composites too.

I would like to fabricate a special piece out of some composite material. Exact material isn't very important, as long is it can be made with standard composite lay-up. I want to put it downstream of a Roots supercharger compressor outlet. I think that the maximum air temperature it will be exposed to would be around 275 deg F.

Can a composite material and/or the resin remain intact at these temperatures? Will the resin "melt" or deform? At what temperature are most composites stable?

I visited most of the major composite sites on the web, and none of them had this information. It wasn't in my composites book, either. </TD></TR></TABLE>

there are several high temp resins out there.. but i would recoment using vacum baggin infusion
Old 08-14-2004, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Composite material temperature limits? (Silverpike)

yes there are resin systems that withstand that amount of heat, but you'd probably need an autoclave, and as you've found out, such high performing systems aren't readily available to the homebuilder. Most common systems are good for 160 deg. F before they soften, anything higher likely needs post-curing. Good luck
Old 08-14-2004, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Composite material temperature limits? (Bjorn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bjorn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes there are resin systems that withstand that amount of heat, but you'd probably need an autoclave, and as you've found out, such high performing systems aren't readily available to the homebuilder. Most common systems are good for 160 deg. F before they soften, anything higher likely needs post-curing. Good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

werd
Old 08-14-2004, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Composite material temperature limits? (Bjorn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bjorn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes there are resin systems that withstand that amount of heat, but you'd probably need an autoclave, and as you've found out, such high performing systems aren't readily available to the homebuilder. Most common systems are good for 160 deg. F before they soften, anything higher likely needs post-curing. Good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>
Is there someone or some company you can reccomend for fabricating this piece? I am more than willing to have a professional do it, but I don't know where to start.