Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Single clunk when braking

Old 02-22-2015, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single clunk when braking

I just bought a used Honda Civic 2013 LX making 52000 Km
To make this simpler to understand, I will build a scenario and show you what exactly is the problem.
When your off to work in the morning, your car is parked. Put it in reverse and start going back. As soon as i touch the brakes to stop i hear that small clunk. If you keep going back after 1st brake and brake again, no clunk. Just the first timr in gear.
Switch to drive and first brake, clunk.. when still in drive and brake again, nothing.
Just the first time braking when switching gears.

I thought it may be a gap between the brake pad and the caliber which forces it to move into place when braking, but i got it inspected. brake is good.
Got it to my mechanic, lifted the car up to look at the axle.
He can move the axle in place abd simulates the same knocking sound from the right axle, he told not to worry as some axles just develop some clearence which allows them to move when gear is switched and gear is applied, but i dont **** go take any chances.
Any ideas what that could be besides the axle, and if it is how to remedy it.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If its under warranty take it to Honda
Old 02-23-2015, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single clunk when braking

It is still under warranty and I will take it to Honda, but I am just asking is it a worrisome issue.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is not worrisome, its quite normal.

You guessed it already, by suggesting brake pad movement. The pads have some clearance in the mounting brackets as they should. When changing directions like you describe you can hear the clunk sound with the severity depending on how all the parts stack up. Sometimes there can be a larger gap and they make a pretty noticable sound, and other times they can be on the tighter side and not really be heard at all. Chances are you bring it to a dealer andd they will tell you its a normal sound and to keep on keeping on.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Runnerdown
This is not worrisome, its quite normal.

You guessed it already, by suggesting brake pad movement. The pads have some clearance in the mounting brackets as they should. When changing directions like you describe you can hear the clunk sound with the severity depending on how all the parts stack up. Sometimes there can be a larger gap and they make a pretty noticable sound, and other times they can be on the tighter side and not really be heard at all. Chances are you bring it to a dealer andd they will tell you its a normal sound and to keep on keeping on.
If it was the brake, i would have let it go, but as i said. The axle is making that sound not the brakes
Old 02-23-2015, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can shake and axle down on almost any car and make similar sounds, but what you specifically describe does not seem like an axle issue at all. An axle sound would likely have vibration issues and clunking on accel to decel transitions.