Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Looking for options on cable LS trans, replace or repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 02:36 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Looking for options on cable LS trans, replace or repair

I have a B18C1 swapped into my CRX with a "cable LS trans" which to me is a 90-93 Integra LS transmission. It appears I have broken my differential based on my findings in the pic below. Car does not move in gear, just makes a pretty awful sound if I try.

I thought it might be easiest to get a different used transmission as a replacement, but it seems hard to find a reliable source for the 90-93 cable trans. Are there other models of transmissions that would work as a direct replacement for this, besides a 90-93 LS? I'd rather not do a hydro conversion.

Then I guess my other option is to open up this trans and try to repair it. Which route should be cheaper/easier to do? I'd need a new differential for sure, but this trans also has a bad bearing(s) in it somewhere that I would need to find and replace, and also has a hard time shifting into 5th gear. I am not sure how I'd feel about doing a complete rebuild.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what my best option would be?

Thanks,
Old 06-28-2017, 05:07 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking for options on cable LS trans, replace or repair

Every place I am finding online is asking $500-600 minimum for a used transmission, and rebuilt ones are $1200 and up. Does this seem right? From everything I've read I was under the impression they were much cheaper.

I guess I can start looking around local junkyards....
Old 06-28-2017, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Used price is high, rebuilt sounds about right if they replaced all the bearings/seals/synchros/sliders.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:25 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Is it possible to get a new differential and complete rebuilt kit for this transmission, or would I be better off buying an already rebuilt unit?
Old 06-28-2017, 01:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the ring gear side of the diff, if its still assembled, the gear may have damaged the housing or final drive gear on the countershaft, So prepare for it to be totaled beyond use. 1200$ for a newly rebuilt synchrotech trans may be about right. But for the cost of a new diff from Honda and possibly a casing, you're better off finding a used transmission
Old 06-28-2017, 01:51 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

I have a couple of leads on some used trannys, but now I have another dilemma. How do I tell if I have a big spline or small spline trans?

Looks like I might be back up and running for the $300-350 range on a used one with around 100k miles, once I figure out which I need.

Thanks for pointing that out BrakeExpert
Old 06-28-2017, 02:10 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

So after some reading, it looks like the only thing different between a 90-91 and 92-93 tranny would be the clutch fitment due to the input shaft diameter, is this correct? Axles and everything else would fit the same?

I ask because, I read that the 92+ differential is slightly stronger, so it may be worthwhile to go ahead and get a new clutch while I am at it and get a big spline tranny.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Gears ratios are different. Clutch is different.

92-93 has detent bolts on the case, 90-91 does not.

If the diff didn't take anything with it, you can simply replace it with a good used diff. Rebuild kits are available from bearing/seal up to full kits with new synchros and sliders. If you decide to repair it you can get both a good used diff and rebuild kit from me.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:05 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aquafina
Gears ratios are different. Clutch is different.

92-93 has detent bolts on the case, 90-91 does not.

If the diff didn't take anything with it, you can simply replace it with a good used diff. Rebuild kits are available from bearing/seal up to full kits with new synchros and sliders. If you decide to repair it you can get both a good used diff and rebuild kit from me.
Thanks for this helpful information!

I have a lead on a used tranny at a fair price, so I think I will be going this route.

Now that that is sorted, on to my next question.....

I would like to leave my clutch alone for now, if possible. It still grabs and holds fine, it is a Comp stage 5 sprung clutch with not many miles on it.

However, I have a bearing noise that only goes away when I press the clutch pedal to the floor. I have read conflicting information about which bearing this would be, the input shaft bearing, or the throwout bearing. Can anyone confirm which one this is?

I believe that it is the input shaft bearing, which should come with my used tranny and resolve the issue. The throwout bearing would only make noise when I step on the pedal I would think, which is the opposite of my problem.

However, if it is actually the throwout bearing, do I need a new clutch? Or is this something that can be replaced separate from the clutch.

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2017, 09:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If it goes away when you press the pedal its the transmission itself, one or both of the input (main)shaft bearings. When you push the pedal and hold it with the engine on, the clutch is disengaged, so the clutch and mainshaft are not spinning, but the throwout bearing and pilot bearing are spinning.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ Pilot bearing makes a slight pitter-patter type noise on accel. Throwout bearing makes a nasty grinding type noise when you disengage the clutch. If the throwout bearing was replaced when you did the clutch and the clutch isn't very old it should still be fine to reuse.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:56 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys! That's what I expected and hoped to confirm.

I am pulling the old tranny this weekend and picking up my new (used) one next week if all goes well. I'm actually kind of excited to have the bearing issue and also my shifting issues resolved by doing this. I had planned to do it later/as necessary but it was pretty annoying to drive.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:59 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Does $300 for a 90-91 with 115k miles on it sound reasonable? That's minus the $50 core charge. I don't really care to keep the core since I wouldn't bother building a small spline trans.

It has a 30 day warranty. Figure I'll try breaking it during that time, and if it holds should be good for a while 👍🏻
Old 07-02-2017, 04:51 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Got the tranny out tonight, looks to me like no external detents, confirming it to be a 90-91 small spline.

Can hear pieces of the broken diff rattling around inside, sounds like something just shattered in there lol.

Plan is to go swap it at a salvage yard tomorrow, and get the new one in and running by next weekend.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:14 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Also be prepared to possibly have to replace synchros in the new to you transmission.

It would be well worth your time to take off the case and give it a once-over before putting it in.

Lastly, if you do upgrade to a newer trans, you will need to swap to the newer style clutch.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:27 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

If that be the case, anyone know of a write up somewhere for what I need to look for inside the new to me transmission? I have never had one open before.

But youre right, it would suck to go through all the work of putting a different one in, just to have more problems.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:16 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Bense has a teardown/rebuild write up in the transmission/drivetrain forum section.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Helms manual has all the info you need.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:30 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

I went ahead and picked up this tranny out of a '91 with 115k miles on it. Decided I want to keep this as cheap and simple as possible for right now.

It's dirty, but mechanically I couldn't tell of anything wrong with it. Not that I am any expert on the matter. I plan to degrease and scrub it somewhat clean, and throw some paint on it so it doesn't look like a piece of junk. Then throw it in the car and let it rip.

New one on left, old broken one on the right.