Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Weird: Key in start position pump primes

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird: Key in start position pump primes

My car just randomly started an issue tonight. I was out all day/ and earlier tonight. Then I went to move it inside and it wouldnt start. The main relay was clicking like crazy(when you would turn to the on position). I did some research and checked many things(incl grounds) and everything checks out. I have no idea whats going on.

Now the problem has improved somewhat in the last bit with me trying to figure it out. The car will prime normally. Then when I go to start the car, the fuel pump/ecu/relay will cut out and then re-prime but stay on as long as I hold the key in the start position. as soon as I let go itll stop and behave normally. Do the single prime and then cut out after the second or so. Dash lights lit, all things normal. (though car has not started at this point)

I can do this over and over. If I havent done it in a few mins the first time the relay will faintly click/dash lights dimly lit and the fuel pump will prime but be very weak. But as soon as I do it again(within a few seconds) all power is strong. itll prime properly,relay clicks normally....then i try to start and it cuts out and re-primes/holds prime until I stop holding the key.
So when you expect your car to turn over by turning to the start position...this is when my pump/relay re-prime but hold this prime as long as I hodl the key in the start position. The car will not turn over at all. ALSO the radio turns off/looses power when I have the key in the start position(during this constant prime) and will turn back on when i let the key go back .

its reaaaaaaaaaly weird. Any ideas whats going on?

Is my ignition switch messed up? Main relay? Ground?(even though I checked/redid some of them). Battery was at 12.xx(with the car OFF). LIghts work, radio works etc.

Dont know how Im gonna get to work in the morning.

Last edited by SiRkid; 08-03-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird: Key in start position pump primes

checked the ignition switch with my volt meter and it seems to be working just fine.
fuel pump relay?

this is strange.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you have an older main relay, that is probably it. mine did something similar. I re soldered the two problem connections on the PC board as outlined on a post I found.(they crack after awhile from the weight of the coils.) (Circular crack around soldered pin; very hard to see except with a magnifying lense). Very common prob.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

00 Si with the original MR in it.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

the radio turning off in Start is normal. This saves battery power to deliver it to the starter. Many things turn off when in Start, the radio is simply the most obvious.

If you've checked to make sure that your battery connections are good, clean and tight.

A bad main relay will cause the things you describe. There is a seperate line that powers the relay when in Start. But the car will not run unless all of the main relay is working properly.
Pull it apart and resolder the joints, or try a known working on from a friends honda. Better yet try your relay in their car... if you're car has a problem it will not risk their relay that way.

**edit**
a bad ignition switch could cause this also...
Old 08-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks
I realized after I typed the radio thing that its normal.

The ignition switch seemed to behave normally(voltage wise). Im gonna try to test the MR and im going to change the battery neg cable as it doesnt tighten like it used to....but I really doubt its the cause....ill do it anyways.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:36 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The PGM-FI Main Relay has nothing to do with the engine turning over, [cranking to start].

With that said, a problem with the PGM-FI Main Relay is very common in Honda/Acura, the fix...
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelay.html
http://techauto.tripod.com/mainrelay.htm

By the things you discribe, my guess is bad batt. terminal connections. 94
Old 08-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said your battery was 12.xx volts which doesn't mean anything. If your battery voltage unloaded is only 12.0 volts there is likely a problem.

Also what fcm said about the battery terminals being loose could cause that. I would check the terminals and try to jump it.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It was 12.49 or 59(I measured again tonight).unloaded/just sitting there.

Main relay is fine. I tested it. I also changed my neg batt cable (new one) and that didnt do it. My t-stat ground is fine along with others. The positive batt cable is also fine.
I started doing the troubleshoot(for main relay/start relay) harness side in the helms and so far everything seems ok....but im tired so I left it for the night.

I am starting/started to to think the battery is toast. its got voltage so stuff works but maybe its toast anyways/doesnt have enough amperage to work right. It is pretty old.

thanks for the help so far
Old 08-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
The PGM-FI Main Relay has nothing to do with the engine turning over, [cranking to start].
true, but its when I turn the key to "start" ....the pump re primes and the relay clicks....itll hold this prime and one click for as long as I hold the key in the start position. The engine wont turn over at all. Then when I let go the pump will finish the prime and the relay finishes its thing. I can repeat this process over and over and get the same thing. Though as mentioned sometimes the first time trying everything is very weak...then the second or third try its all normal/strong(lights, pump prime) and will continue strong until I stop after a couple more tries. The engine doesnt turn over at all. No starter click, nothing. Just this weird **** with the pump holding its prime/relay holding when I turn the key to start.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I also cant say Ive heard of issues with main relays on the newer cars??? or am I wrong(this is a 00 Si...main relay is on the passenger side behind/beside the glove box).
Old 08-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol one more. from your second link fcm

When I turn on the car the main relay starts clicking. I changed it out and still the same thing. What is causing it?

The main is getting low current. The result is a fast clicking relay. The current comes from the battery. The ECU then outputs the current on pin A7 on the ECU. The fix is to make sure the car battery is strong, connections tight and fully charged. Then make sure that the check engine light is not on and the ECU is properly grounded.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is your battery voltage while the key is in the crank position. If it drops considerably they you know the battery is toast. It is possible for the battery to have proper voltage with no load but not have enough 'ampacity' to crank the engine.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

jump the starter solenoid with a screw driver or two. if it still doesn't turn over it is either battery/connections/starter.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a feeling it was the battery but after some tests and with the help here I basically was sure it was the culprit...and well... it was.

Popped in my g/fs battery and car started no prob. Brought my old battery to the store to test(just for fun) and it has a bad cell. Its about 4 yrs old so I just bought a new one. Got it in and no issues.

didnt spend too much time trouble shooting, so its not to bad, though it was fun to test the main relay etc.

Thanks again for the help. I tried searching this issue before and couldnt find anything, so hopefully this comes up the next time someone else has a similar problem.

edit: battery was dead for sure, but it popped up again today. the connection to the starter isnt the greatest. i wiggled it and pushed it on some more and car started right up.
just fyi for future.

Last edited by SiRkid; 08-08-2009 at 08:10 PM.