Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

weird. intake install, brake pedal gets soft.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird. intake install, brake pedal gets soft.

so, ive been playing around with making my own intake for my rsx, so far, so good. i also just bought a set of carbotechs bobcat brake pads and installed them.

so im driving the other day, and wtf, brake pedal is really soft. ok, im baffled.. run through the whole brake install, rebleed, etc etc. even bring it to acura (after i put the stock intake back in, to avoid headaches) thinking the master cylinder is bad. they tell me its fine, i drive around another day, and it is fine.

so now, im happy, and brakes feel good, really good. tonite, i redid the intake. low and behold - mushy brake pedal!!

coincidence? i know the brake system uses vacuum, but i dont think any of the 3 hoses on the intake supply vacuum to the brake system. could the new, longer hoses length play a factor in this somehow?

im stumped. any ideas anyone?
Old 09-11-2003, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weird. intake install, brake pedal gets soft. (Leo95SE)

anyone?
Old 09-11-2003, 06:20 PM

Default Re: weird. intake install, brake pedal gets soft. (Leo95SE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Leo95SE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
coincidence? i know the brake system uses vacuum, but i dont think any of the 3 hoses on the intake supply vacuum to the brake system. could the new, longer hoses length play a factor in this somehow? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Right, this is called the brake booster -- I own an EK, so I can't look at the exact same part, but it is on the firewall opposite of the brake pedal -- the pedal pushrod goes right into it. It looks sort of like a brake drum, but mounted on the firewall. You should see a vaccum hose going into it. Trace the hose and see where it goes -- this should help you figure out what is wrong.

If not, I'd recommend picking up a factory service manual. Anyone curious / clever enough to make their own induction tube will find that it pays for itself in short order.