Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

VSS and tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSS and tranny problem

I am wondering if anyone has had this problem and to add it to the possible reasons why the speedometer won't work in the car. The other day my speedo stopped working, didn't receive the CEL to say it was the VSS, but I couldn't really see what else could have gone wrong with the system.
I pulled the sensor off the vss in order to get ready for when the replacement sensor arrived. With the sensor off, I could see the top of the shaft that would typically turn when the wheels moves, which then made the speedo function. So I decided to jack up the car, block off the wheels, and then I started the car and put it into gear. The first thing I noticed was the shaft in the VSS was not turning. This lead me to believe that either the gear on the vss wasn't touching the gear on the differential or one of the two were broken.
I removed the rest of the vss and attached it to a power drill and the speedo worked. So i stuck my finger in the hole on the top of the tranny where the vss goes and I could easily move the gear with my finger. Since it obviously should be a solid mass with the differential, I rotated the wheels, yet I could spin or stop this gear without any resistance.

So my question is How the hell does something like that break? Is this a parts that can be welded or am I in the market for a new tranny?
Does anyone have a picture of the differential while its out of the tranny? Also, how is the speedometer driver gear attached? Is it welded? held in place by some type of screw or pin? How hard it this to fix? (or should I just buy a replacement tranny?
Any one have a picture of the differential assembly while its out of the car?
(The worst part about this is I sold my spare tranny last month )
Old 04-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: VSS and tranny problem (CHK4TIX)

Now I'm not 100% on this for your car (which car/motor/tranny do you have?), but in the D series trannies I've been in the VSS drive gear that on the diff is plastic and is sandwiched between the diff housing and the bearing. the bearing is pressed on and so to replace the broken drive gear the bearing will need to be pressed off and then pressed back on with the new gear behind it.
Just call up your honda parts dealer and ask them about the drive gear. I'm certain that it's not cast on the diff or anything like that. Just drop your tranny, crack it open and go from there. If it is easily replaceable then you'll know by opening it up and half the work will be done.
Good luck man.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VSS and tranny problem (Ahknodd)

Thanks, for the info.
I guess It would have helped to say the tranny is from a prelude with the h23, tranny code is M2S4.

This doesnt seem likely but Is there anyway that the use of in correct lubricant could cause it to slip? I didnt have any honda MTF available when I was finishing up the swap, Helms says that you can use 10w-30, so I used 10w-30 synthetic blend since its all I had at the time. The trans does have over 220k on it, so its probably more of a coincidence
Old 04-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: VSS and tranny problem (CHK4TIX)

I would say it's a coincidence. Using 10w30 instead of Honda MTF won't cause too much of an issue, maybe a slight grind problem with a syncro or two, but it wouldn't cause your vss to stop working. I'd say it just broke.
did you get it fixed yet??
Old 04-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VSS and tranny problem (Ahknodd)

I havent been able to pull it out and work on it yet due to school/work. I have purchased a replacement tranny because I cant have much down time, however I plan on pulling it apart and fixing it to keep it as a spare
Old 05-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VSS and tranny problem (Honda_Fanatic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda_Fanatic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DONT BY OR SELL ANYTHING FROM THIS GUY - HE IS A CON ARTIST!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice try....for the real story just go here
http://www.hondamarketplace.co...75550