Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

type r head on my gsr block?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default type r head on my gsr block?

Hey guys, this is my first post and i thought someone would know the answer to my question.
I can get a complete type r head for about $400.00. This includes the cams and valvetrain. I dont think it includes the intake manifold or distributer. And i can port and polish the head for cheap also.

So i was wondering what it would involve to put in on my 98 gsr? Would i be better off taking the cams and valvetrain out of the type r head and just putting in in my gsr. I know that the intake manifold flows much better and that the head is already ported somewhat on type r's, so i was just thinking of simply swaping the heads. And using only a 2 layer head gasket to put my compression back at 10.0:1
Do i need to mess with my ECU in order to run this head? (OBD II/OBD I). and what else do i completely need to do this swap?

thanks for your help
Old 05-08-2003, 10:10 AM
New User

Default Re: type r head on my gsr block? (white_98_gsr)

You'll need an ITR intake manifold. How can you get the head so cheap? I would just drop in the internals and sell the bare head. At that price it is either hot, damaged, fake, or being offered to you by a very good friend.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:25 AM
NA gs-R 05 C

Default Re: type r head on my gsr block? (Type R Bob)

yea, for 400, you got hooked up, thats very cheap so its a a good head (not messed up), i say jus buy it ne wayz, a deal like that dun always come along
Old 05-08-2003, 01:57 PM

Default Re: type r head on my gsr block? (NA gs-R 05 C)

i think that you should buy it and sell it to me for that much
Old 05-08-2003, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by white_98_gsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys, this is my first post and i thought someone would know the answer to my question.
I can get a complete type r head for about $400.00. This includes the cams and valvetrain. I dont think it includes the intake manifold or distributer. And i can port and polish the head for cheap also.

So i was wondering what it would involve to put in on my 98 gsr? Would i be better off taking the cams and valvetrain out of the type r head and just putting in in my gsr. I know that the intake manifold flows much better and that the head is already ported somewhat on type r's, so i was just thinking of simply swaping the heads. And using only a 2 layer head gasket to put my compression back at 10.0:1
Do i need to mess with my ECU in order to run this head? (OBD II/OBD I). and what else do i completely need to do this swap?

thanks for your help
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The Type R head will bolt right up to the GSR block. You said you want to use a two-layer gasket to bring your compression back up? Have you changed the compression in the GSR previously? A US GSR runs 10.0.1 already. Using a two layer and the fact that your using the type R will raise the compression some as is. Using a 2 layer will raise the compression .2-.3 points more. As for OBD II, and OBD I. I believe all the plugs will work the same except the plug for Vtec solenoid. I believe it's different, but you can just wire it directly so you should be fine. Overall it shouldn't be hard at all. Good luck.

P.S. You will need a type R or B16a intake manifold and throttle body. The GSR manifold will not bolt up to the Type R head, and the GSR IAC valve will not bolt up either… so I guess you will need IAC valve too…

Man, $400 was a good deal, but depending on what you get with it. Now you have to buy all this other ****!

Hope this helps…
Old 05-08-2003, 05:18 PM

Default Re: type r head on my gsr block? (All-motor_JDMB18C)

yea, from what i heard, if you put the r head on the gsr block, it will lower the compression(still using stock gsr pistons) by about .2
So thats why i was planning on using the 2 layer head gasket to raise the compression back to what i previously would have had
Thanks for all the help so far.
any other thoughts would be appreciated
Old 05-08-2003, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Type-R head will lower compression, the combustion chambers are bigger. Are you absolutely sure that you are getting a Type-R head and not a B16 head? That is a little too cheap. While you have the head off, why don't you drop some ITR or CTR pistons in your engine? Just a thought.