Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Tranny mount?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny mount?

I had a front-right engine mount replaced at Honda in an attempt to fix a rough idle problem I was having in my 2012 Civic (A/T; 165k miles). My car also jolted whenever I was parked on an incline and shifted from Park to Drive, or Drive to Reverse, etc. They diagnosed my problem as a collapsing front-right mount so they replaced it.

I just got my car back but noticed my car still jolts when on an incline and shifting as stated before. My rough idle is definitely better but still sort of there, but I think that's related to having a dirty throttle body (it's dirty, checked it, gonna clean it this week).

Anyway, before I go back and bitch to Honda, is this type of jolting typically linked to an engine mount problem or moreso a tranny mount problem?

Anyone know where the tranny mount(s) is/are on a 2012 Civic so I can take a look? I feel VERY slight jolting (almost nothing) when on a flat land. But when I'm on an incline, like a sloped parking lot, and go from P to D, my car noticeably jolts as it goes into Drive.

Thanks
Old 11-20-2015, 11:36 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tranny mount?

Usually I see it as related to torque mounts. Typically the mount on the timing belt end of the engine and the one on top of the transmission just support the engine in the bay, while mounts on the front and rear control movement of the engine. For example if you have a mount on the front of the block or front of the transmission, that one as well as the one on the rear of the transmission/engine controls the engine movement. If those fail and you let them go too long the mounts on the side of the engine/top of trans will fail as well.

Which exact mount did they replace? You may need to check all the other mounts as well.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tranny mount?

Originally Posted by v4lu3s
Usually I see it as related to torque mounts. Typically the mount on the timing belt end of the engine and the one on top of the transmission just support the engine in the bay, while mounts on the front and rear control movement of the engine. For example if you have a mount on the front of the block or front of the transmission, that one as well as the one on the rear of the transmission/engine controls the engine movement. If those fail and you let them go too long the mounts on the side of the engine/top of trans will fail as well.

Which exact mount did they replace? You may need to check all the other mounts as well.
Great thanks, gonna have a friend of mine check the mounts and see what is/could be failing. The mount that Honda replaced was the front-right engine mount, on the side of the serpentine belt (facing the hood of the car with the lid open, it's on the left / passenger side, just to the left of the pulleys).

I'll report back if he finds anything. Thanks for the direction!!