Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

tps code....running really rich why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: tps code....running really rich why? (spaceman)

not unless its throwing a code.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:17 PM

Default Re: tps code....running really rich why? (Mochanic)

reason why i asked is cuz when i got my b16 motor the tps was broken so i thew on the tps from my 88 crx si motor and i havnt adjusted it yet..it seems to run ok
Old 10-10-2003, 10:14 AM

i was reading in my helmes and it say when you replace the tb is should be replaced with the tps as a whole.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tps code....running really rich why? (ekhybrd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekhybrd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was reading in my helmes and it say when you replace the tb is should be replaced with the tps as a whole.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is cuz honda doesnt sell the tps sensor separately. They calibrate it and seal it.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:38 AM

Default Re: tps code....running really rich why? (1_bad_EF)

what do you mean seal it?
Old 10-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why/how do they seal it? they rivet the tps to the tb allowing no adjustment. You have to drill/break the rivets. why? so you cant *** with it.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:33 PM

Default Re: tps code....running really rich why? (1_bad_EF)

I have a question. What is there to calibrate? I have taken the TPS off of my engine and was going to use it to replace the one on my new one. It seems like it is just a plastic casing with a rotating mechanism inside. It looks, to me, that if you line the mechanism up properly that it should work without a problem. Can somebody fill me in on the idea of "calibrating" the TP sensor? Thanks in advance. and I sorry to hijack the thread, just figured that it could help the situation.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:37 PM

Default Re: tps code....running really rich why? (SpyderZEX)

you can loosten the screws and turn the tps sensor left or right..that is if you modify those things holding the tps in place...i took a dremmel and cut a slice down the middle of each screw then i used a flathead screwdriver to take it out
Old 10-10-2003, 01:54 PM

so then during the time that you are adjusting the tps sensor.. would the code from the ecu go away as it is fixed? or do you have to adjust, tighten, re-set ecu, recheck, and again if it's still there?
Old 10-10-2003, 06:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spaceman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does the tps sensor have anything to do with vtec engagement?..sorry to change the subject just a quick question</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, and it also looks at ect and map sensor.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:44 PM

Default Re: tps code....running really rich why? (HONDADNA)

so when i put the TPS from my stock crx motor on my b16 and didnt adjust it..my vtec shouldnt work?..i got through 1 2 3rd gear going around the block and didnt notice any vtec engagement it was mostly just smooth rise in power,i dont know if thats normal cuz this is my first vtec motor..i havnt driven it since cuz i got more work to do on it(change head gasket)also does the IAT sensor have anything to do with vtec?..thanks for the info
Old 10-11-2003, 05:21 AM

i have the tps code and mu car ran real rich also. but it was quick. i fixed the code and now my car is a dog. i wish i still had the power when i had the CEL. oh well, i do a lot better on gas now. 8)
Old 10-11-2003, 07:38 AM

Ok well i install the STR throttle body on my car also a 00si. If you go to http://www.strspeedlabs.com/Inst/TB/tbc.html this link gives you the whole install process. if you didnt mix up the clips and the car ran fine with the stock throttle body then the wire in the middle(red wire) should be your tps voltage.just insert a paperclip far enough into the clip to were it would touch the inside connection. You need a good calibrated Digital meter to get a accurate reading. When i installed mine i found that my meter was off and used my VAFC that shows tps voltage readings for a more accurate reading since it is reading off the ECU. Also the voltage setting on the str site is wrong, it should be .49closed but the WOT is correct. The only problem i had with my STR tb after getting CEL codes also was idle control system error, come to find out the STR tb gasket didnt have the port cut out for the idle air control valve and i used the factory gasket and cut out the port hole and i havent had any problem since. I called and email STR and told them the TB that i had the gasket wasnt cut correctly and they said that they would look into it. Tps voltage is very important for the car to run correctly, if the ecu is getting the wrong reading and it thinks that the Tb is even at part throttle its probably going to run rich. so setting the proper voltage is a must. using another application TPS sensor might work but it could be calirated differantly so you might want to get one that works with that engine and ECU. But since i fixed the gasket and correctly tuned the STR tb i have had no problems. I hope this has help and sorry for such great indept detail. I say nothing is working for you, buy the JG eldebrok TB since the TPS is already set for you and is a direct bolt on. Even though this is a pretty simple bolt on for the most part its no reason why honda only sells just the TB with the TPS cause unless you have the experience with diagnostic the average person wouldnt know what to do. Just go to the STR website they have the instructions like i said and also check your gasket to make sure it looks for the most part like the factory gasket.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:10 PM

Default Re: tps code....running really rich why? (ghostsi69)

yeah at first when i put on my tb...it would start up and die.....then i cut an opening in the gasket for the idle control valvle......and bam it idled....just really rough but i wouldnt die anymore.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:04 PM

usdm throttle bodies come with the tps "permanantly" sealed to it via rivets. Meaning you cant adjust it. the str throttle body you have came with 2 hex screws to hold the tps on. therefore it is not sealed anymore, so calibrate it.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:33 AM

Default Re: tps code....running really rich why? (FlatLineEG8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FlatLineEG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">usdm throttle bodies come with the tps "permanantly" sealed to it via rivets. Meaning you cant adjust it. the str throttle body you have came with 2 hex screws to hold the tps on. therefore it is not sealed anymore, so calibrate it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Those aren't rivets. The are screws, but inorder to remove them you must grind a slice down the center. This way you can use a flathead screwdrive to unscrew the TPS. Therefore, it can be adjusted. However, minimally.