Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Throttle's sticking after shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle's sticking after shifting

OK, this is getting very freakin' annoying

After every single one of my shifts, during any kind of driving, the throttle will stick open for a second (or something) and the car revs itself about 200 rpm. Also if I let off the throttle after sitting at constant throttle for a bit the car will jerk and buck for a moment before decelerating. The air/fuel still indicates rich, so I'm thinking it's the throttle or throttle cable sticking open. The spring on the butterfly as well as the return spring on the throttle pedal are both attached and working.

Any ideas anyone, please?
Old 03-28-2003, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Throttle's sticking after shifting (raene)

it revs with your foot off the gas?
Old 03-28-2003, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Throttle's sticking after shifting (j.fuggi)

Yeah, when he shifts and lifts his foot off the throttle it jumps up a few hundred RPM.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Throttle's sticking after shifting (Mr. S)

Check the cable for any binds. Get some white litium grease and squirt it were you think the bind might be. You can remove the cable for the TB pull it out all the way (full throttle). Then squirt it on the cable and get under the dash and pull the cable in all the way. Then put some grease on the cable under the dash. Just a thought. I never had that type of problem though.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Throttle's sticking after shifting (Phat_Optimo)

Well, I've removed the cable, and it's perfectly smooth; I pulled off the intake tube and cleaned out the area around the butterfly with throttlebody cleaner, then reattached the intake and used WD-40 on the spring area on the outside of the throttlebody...

The damn car's still revving itself after shifting
Old 04-08-2003, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are there any leaks around the intake manifold gasket. It also seems that there maybe a small leak from a vaccum line since its not a big rpm jump.

[Modified by Phat_Optimo, 10:11 PM 4/8/2003]
Old 04-09-2003, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Throttle's sticking after shifting (Phat_Optimo)

I thought it was a vacuum line too, so I replaced all the vacuum lines with silicone. I've also checked manifold vacuum at idle on both my car and my brother's car - mine is 17-19 inches Hg, and his is 22 inches Hg... I suppose mine would be less because of a vacuum leak, correct?
Old 04-09-2003, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It could also be the throttle plate itself... Pop the throttle plate open with your fingers using the cable pulley... Does it stick a bit when you try to open it up again? (as in it's initially hard to open) If so the problem is most likely just the plate itself... Loosen the two set screws that hold the plate and bleep it open and closed a few times... Tighten the screws back up and if it still stick then adjust the pulley set screw... It has a lock nut on it so you first have to break that loose... After that with an allen wrench very slowly turn the screw counter clockwise, opening up the throttle body... This will fix the sticking just about anytime because most of the time the throttle plate is trying to close too much when it's resting at it's idle position which therefore makes it bind... Hope you can understand this and good luck... Peace
Old 04-09-2003, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: chillin in that city called queen creek, but homes the atl
Default Re: Throttle's sticking after shifting (Kataku2K3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kataku2K3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It could also be the throttle plate itself... Pop the throttle plate open with your fingers using the cable pulley... Does it stick a bit when you try to open it up again? (as in it's initially hard to open) If so the problem is most likely just the plate itself... Loosen the two set screws that hold the plate and bleep it open and closed a few times... Tighten the screws back up and if it still stick then adjust the pulley set screw... It has a lock nut on it so you first have to break that loose... After that with an allen wrench very slowly turn the screw counter clockwise, opening up the throttle body... This will fix the sticking just about anytime because most of the time the throttle plate is trying to close too much when it's resting at it's idle position which therefore makes it bind... Hope you can understand this and good luck... Peace</TD></TR></TABLE>
this is a good *** answer my car was doing the same thing and i did this and it worked perfectly
Old 04-09-2003, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Throttle's sticking after shifting (streetdreams02)

I have had every one of these problems listed herein... I had the accelerating problem, and the sticky cable, and the sticky butterfly...
I don't really know why the acceration acted like it did, but I 'just lived with it.' (I know, I know) the sticky cable was replaced from the junkyard, and was really easy... Took me about 15 minutes. The sticky butterfly was more involved though. It was only sticky when the car was running (vacuum). I cleaned the basty thouroughly with brakeparts cleaner, and *flooded* my car witht e stuff... It did fine afterwards for a few months. Come to find out that there was discharge coming from my valvecover ventilation tube into the throttlebody. It was a gummy discharge, not oily... Go figure. I sold that car shortly after...

JM2CW,
Scott AKA CRneXt
Old 04-10-2003, 11:48 AM

Thank you VERY much for the answer! I'll try this as soon as I can and post the results!
Old 04-14-2003, 06:02 AM

your throttle body needs to be cleaned with a rag or a crob cleaner and it should work fine
Old 04-17-2003, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Throttle's sticking after shifting (vadim)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vadim &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your throttle body needs to be cleaned with a rag or a crob cleaner and it should work fine</TD></TR></TABLE>

We did that already... where exactly are the 2 throttle body screws? I tried adjusting the stopper, but it only works wells when it's way too far open.
Old 04-18-2003, 05:30 AM

maybe the throttle cable is to tight so it gats stuck when you lat off the gas
Old 04-18-2003, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Throttle's sticking after shifting (vadim)

Take the throttle body off the IN manfiold... Inside on the "inner side" you'll see two phillips screws that hold the throttle plate in place... Be careful when loostening as they too tend to strip pretty easily... I normally push the screwdriver down pretty hard to avoild stripping... Hope this helps... Good Luck
Old 04-18-2003, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kataku2K3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take the throttle body off the IN manfiold... Inside on the "inner side" you'll see two phillips screws that hold the throttle plate in place... Be careful when loostening as they too tend to strip pretty easily... I normally push the screwdriver down pretty hard to avoild stripping... Hope this helps... Good Luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok cool, thanks for clearing that up . Do you think I have to replace my throttle body gasket if I take the throttle body off? It's only been used for about 1 month, but should Ireplace it anyways?
Old 04-18-2003, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, I just pulled the t-body off and messed around with plate. Took some throttle body cleaner and cleaned where the plate contacts the throttle body when it's closed. I also undid those 2 screws like you said, and it smoothed right up. However, after I tightened them back down the plate started to stick again. So I bumped up the throttle stopper a bit and it worked! WAY smoother! Threw the assembly back together and reused the t-body gasket and fired it up. I had to adjust the idle a bit, because it was idling a bit high, but that's done.

It feels so smooth. It's like driving a different car. Now I don't have to use the dashpot, which was helping the throttle cable stay loose before. Call me crazy but the car feels faster! You are THE MAN Kataku2k3!!!!! Thank you so much for your help!!!!!
Old 04-18-2003, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem... Glad to hear that it's running BETTER!!! Peace
Old 04-28-2003, 05:00 PM

I just did this on my B16A also - the problem where the throttle sticks shut is SOLVED!!!

Many thanks kataku!!
Old 04-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow,

My BDL 70mm is doing the same, 2mm of slack in the cable, and its new. TB is new and clean also.

But mine only does it when the engine is hot, and it gets stuck open pretty far so my idle is around 3500-4000rpm.

I will pull the TB tommorow, try adjusting that plate, and the stop..

Hope i can get this fixed.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Throttle's sticking after shifting (HamiltonRex)

Hey, sorry I took so long to get back to ya. Haven't been staying up with my Honda-Tech as I should. Anywho, first things first. Is this a factory throttle body you're using? Either way, it's kind of strange that it only happens when it is hot, but first thing that comes to mind is something is expanding too much for adequate clearance (possibly the throttle blade?). Whether or not you're using a OE or aftermarket throttle body, the first thing I would do (if possible) would be to adjust the screw that controls how far the blade closes. As mentioned before, if it's trying to close too far, it'll normally stick, and probably even worse if it's not clearanced right and expanding too much. You don't want to go too far as it'll just keep increasing your idle, but do so enough to see if it rids you of your sticking problem. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll try to think about it more and get back to you with a new answer.

-Adam
Old 04-23-2006, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks.

Its a new STR 70mm TB, and after wot pulls it wont completely close.. says open a bit, but if i get outa the car and push it shut or 'snap' the throttle, it will close al the way.

Im going to try adjusting the butterfly as you sugested earlier in the thread.. Hopefully that will work for me?

Old 04-25-2006, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Throttle's sticking after shifting (HamiltonRex)

Maybe the butterfly isnt aligned perfectly in the throttlebody.. Try loosening the 2 screws that hold the butterfly and open the throttle and snap it back shut, then tighten the screws back down and see if that helps..