Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

suspension question from a novice

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 07:43 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension question from a novice

Please excuse my ignorance... I'm fairly new to the car scene and still learning

I drive a '95 Civic with a modest list of upgrades. I recently started autoxing and want to upgrade my suspension. I've narrowed it down to two set ups:

1) Eibach (Pro-Kit)/AGX
2) ITR springs/struts

Couple questions:
1) I hear the ITR set up will fit on my car, but I'll need LCAs in the rear. True/False?
2) I'm riding on 16" SSR Integral with 205/45 tires. How low will the ITR springs drop me?
3) Which set up will make for a more comfortable daily driver?
4) Any other thoughts?

Tenks for being patient and for your insight!
Pearl

Old 07-11-2001, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: suspension question from a novice (teeter)

1) You do indeed need ITR LCAs on the civic. The ITR struts may not fit on the fronts though...
2) The ITR springs supposedly drop the car 0.75' on a Teg. Not sure about a Civic.
3) Both setups will be equally comfortable for DD. I have the Eibach/AGX setup and have no complaints about the ride.
4) Go with setup #1. You'll like it more, have adjustability and it will fit w/o problems.

HTH.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: suspension question from a novice (breaka_1_9)

I think you could use the ITR springs without changing the LCAs if you use different struts. However I don't think the ITR setup is agressive enough to provide the difference you're looking for on the track.

You might want to check out the H&R OE Sports/SofSports, which I think offer better spring rates than most other aftermarket springs without lowering to the point where you risk bottoming out the front shocks.

Also try a search on the competition forum, this stuff comes up often, and more autocrossers frequent that portion of the site.
Old 07-11-2001, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: suspension question from a novice (GSRMatt)

The AGX shocks will certainly provide better performance due to their adjustability.

As for the springs, it boils down to spring rate, IMO. I don't know what the spring rates are for each setup. Everything else being equal, I'd take the set with higher spring rates, particularly in the rear of the car. Both sets of springs are likely to have much higher rates in front, though this is opposite of a true FWD 'performance' setup. Whichever set has higher rear spring rates *relative* to the front rates will provide you with the most oversteer. You won't get much with either set, but ever little bit helps.
Old 07-12-2001, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Teeter- The big question is what class do you want to Autocross in? This will determine if you are even allowed to run other than OEM parts.

If you can change springs, etc. Why not run a dedicated, adjustable coilover setup where you can choose the spring rates instead of ITR springs where you are not sure what the rates are?

I would suggest checking out King Motorsports for suggestions on parts to use or someone like Ground Control. Both make/sell real racing (or AXing) parts and have setup cars like yours. I would also suggest Tokico Illumina or Koni yellow shocks which feature adjustable damping- Konis are also rebuildable and revalveable should you ever need this option.

Also, if you want to autocross on anything other than a parking lot, check out the Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs website for details on their High Speed autocross program at Blackhawk Farms Raceway near Beloit.

Good luck,
Devin
ITC CRX

[Modified by ITC Racer, 10:38 AM 7/12/2001]
Old 07-12-2001, 12:48 PM
New User

Default Re: suspension question from a novice (ITC Racer)

All,

Thanks for the 411. I'll try to remember everything you guys said when I sit down and make the decision.

ITC Racer,
I'm running in the STS class, and if I'm not mistaken, upgrading my suspension won't bump me higher. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Thanks again,
Pearl
Old 07-12-2001, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest Eibach Prokit and Koni Yellows instead of the ITR stuff.

The Eibach springs are awesome performers "there are many satisfied owners here and on SHO that have em, and the Konis are adjustable which the ITR shocks are not. True the ITR springs will drop your car about 3/4 on an inch but the Eibachs will drop you about that or to 1 inch.

I have several friends on sites that run the Eibachs and Konis and swear by them.

For a full coilover there is H&R, Tein, Mugen, and others. The price will be higher "about $1400. and up" than the spring/shock setup but they are a package deal and will even be better matched than the spring shock setup.

Good luck,

A.

Old 07-12-2001, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: suspension question from a novice (1GreyTeg)

Spring rates:

stock G3 212 lb/in (F) / 117 lb/in (R-linear)
- ITR 246 lb/in (F) / 140-246 lb/in (R-progressive)
- Eibach Pro-kit 331 lb/in (F) / 126-194 lb/in (R-progressive)
- Eibach Sportline 460 lb/in (F) / 174-257 lb/in (R-progressive)
- H&R SofSport 276 lb/in (F) / 220 lb/in (R-progressive?)
- H&R Sport 276 lb/in (F) / 276 lb/in (R-progressive?)
- GC "street kit" 350 lb/in (F) / 250 lb/in (R-linear)

Higher spring rate in the rear promotes rotation and reduces understeer, while at the same time making the ride more harsh. Racing hondas are typically 150-300 lbs heavier in the rear, where you can see the popular springs are higher in the front.

The Koni's are certainly better shocks than the AGX. I'm not a big fan of KYB, but there seem to be a lot of people happy with them. Don't use high (>350) spring rates on AGX.

It doesn't sound like you're too interested in the big money setups, if you are later consider GCs and custom-valved konis or bilsteins, they give the best performance specifically for your setup at a modest cost.

Old 07-13-2001, 09:19 AM
New User

Default Re: suspension question from a novice (GSRMatt)

GSRMatt,

Thanks for the numbers! You saved me a lot of time that I was going to spend doing research. I'll take your advice and look into Koni shocks now

Tenks,
Pearl