Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

SRS Delete question

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS Delete question

This might have been answered before but in a way that I can't find. My SRS light is on and I took it to the dealership and they determined that the unit itself went bad, so what I'm trying to do is bypass the system so that my horn and cruise control with work again because for some dumb reason, the horn and cruise control run through the SRS unit.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SRS Delete question

Are you trying to keep the vehicle original? If not, think about getting an aftermarket steering wheel with the horn button, and consider new 12v wiring for the cruise control. If that is out of the question for you, then you have to fix the original problem, which might be an easy fix, you can find most of the SRS units in the junk yards. Happy Hunting
Old 06-15-2016, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Which car is this for?

I would get an aftermarket or non-SRS wheel. Having a disconnected explosive part in front of you while driving seems very unsafe to me.

For the horn wiring, once you have the aftermarket wheel, you can bypass the relay and ground the horn directly upon circuit closure, as shown here. I have done this myself and it works like a charm:
https://honda-tech.com/acura-integra...lease-3242350/

This link could help you for SRS connections/removal:
https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...wipers-814006/

For the SRS light, it is actually on by default, and the SRS brain shuts it off. So, even if you remove the brain, air bag and sensors, it will still turn on. Unless you want to undo lots of wiring from the dashboard loom, I suggest you just unplug it from the cluster.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Matt_EH3
Which car is this for?

I would get an aftermarket or non-SRS wheel. Having a disconnected explosive part in front of you while driving seems very unsafe to me.

For the horn wiring, once you have the aftermarket wheel, you can bypass the relay and ground the horn directly upon circuit closure, as shown here. I have done this myself and it works like a charm:

For the SRS light, it is actually on by default, and the SRS brain shuts it off. So, even if you remove the brain, air bag and sensors, it will still turn on. Unless you want to undo lots of wiring from the dashboard loom, I suggest you just unplug it from the cluster.
Yeah, I do want an aftermarket steering wheel without an airbag and I will wire the horn like that, but any ideas on cruise control? Is there some write up on mounting and wiring the cruise switch with an aftermarket wheel? What if instead of the SRS unit itself being bad, it's just the clock spring? How would I determine that? I ruled that out a long time ago, because I've never taken my steering wheel out, but other people saying their horn and cruise not working when their clock spring went out got me thinking. Is that something that will be deleted when I put a new steering wheel on? I'm also planning on installing a quick release hub if that makes any difference.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Matt_EH3
Which car is this for?

Also, it's for my '94 Del Sol Si.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with what has been said before, just get someones unit from a junkyard at a reasonable price. It's usually easier to just fix the problem then to find a work around. Especially when it's for more than one function
Old 06-16-2016, 05:16 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Do you have a passenger side air bag in that del sol of yours?
Old 06-16-2016, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dooob
I agree with what has been said before, just get someones unit from a junkyard at a reasonable price. It's usually easier to just fix the problem then to find a work around. Especially when it's for more than one function
I'll look around next time I go. Could it be from a civic or does it have to be a Del sol?
Old 06-16-2016, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Do you have a passenger side air bag in that del sol of yours?
Yes I do.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:42 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

92-95 Civic, the del Sol, even the Integra maybe (cross-ref the part numbers).
Old 06-16-2016, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I have the same issue I've YouTube it an all the light is still there an I have a snow God steering wheel so yea ������
Old 06-17-2016, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dooob
I agree with fixing before removing too. It's just that the OP was originally inquiring about removing, not about fixing.

To retain cruise control, you'll need to rewire the cruise control to momentary switches, which I agree is more complex than just fixing the issue.

Also, my question about the car was to verify if you have a passenger airbag. If you were to do a clean removal of the system, you'd need to remove that too.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:10 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

I have the SRS unit from a 95 CDM Civic SI that has passenger side air bag.

I'd be willing to sell it to you after you verify the part numbers are the same for them. That would be the fast easy fix.