Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

QUICK! How does the JDM header bolt up to the Testpipe? (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QUICK! How does the JDM header bolt up to the Testpipe? (pics inside)

I've got the DC JDM header and a 2.5" testpipe. I just got the donut gasket and put it on the header. Now I'm confused a little. When I bolt it all up, is the flared out piece of the testpipe suppose to not fit OVER the gasket? It fits on top of it but to me it seems like its not snug enough.

Old 05-31-2002, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: QUICK! How does the JDM header bolt up to the Testpipe? (eTec)

The less than perfect fit is very common. It will probably leak if you don't torque it down very tight. Is that a testpipes.com pipe? Looks like their typical stuff...you get what you pay for. I have yet to see one of their pipes where the flaring was correctly done.

Sonny

[Modified by Sonny, 11:25 PM 5/31/2002]
Old 05-31-2002, 02:39 PM

Default Re: QUICK! How does the JDM header bolt up to the Testpipe? (Sonny)

yeah it is. I just called them now and the guy told me it will be fine. He says the flare they make is huge and if they go any bigger the pipe will crack or some **** like that. I'm just afraid to go put it on right now and have crazy leaks.

Do you guys suggest using the spring bolts or not? They said they don't use'em.
Old 06-01-2002, 06:52 AM

Default Re: QUICK! How does the JDM header bolt up to the Testpipe? (eTec)

Well, we put the damn thing in last night and man that **** was a pain! The bolts on the rear of the cat were basically welded on. But after taking off part of the exhaust and stripping the **** out of the bolts we finally got'em off. THEN we started bolting up the testpipe to the header and noticed that the o2 sensor was right up against the shift linkage bar underneath. After making some adjustments we got it to sit out of the way but it still would NOT sit flush on the header gasket. THEN after tightening (sp?) the bolts on the collector, the flange on the test pipe WAS BENDING. WTF? So we just said f it and finished tightening everything. Started her up and of course there are some leaks. So now I gotta take it to a muffler shop!

Did any of you leave the springbolts in?