Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

oil leaking from rubber sleeve on shift linkage

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leaking from rubber sleeve on shift linkage

I was under my car the other day and noticed very small drops of tranny oil comming out of the rubber sleeve that goes to the end of the shift linkage.. not sure what that thing is called but its pretty small and has a very small hole on the bottom.. not sure if its normal for oil to be dripping very slowly from there or not.. but any insight would be appreciated!
Old 02-02-2003, 08:12 AM

Default Re: oil leaking from rubber sleeve on shift linkage (B16aEJ)

i think that the seal needs to be replaced. it is not the rubber boot that is giving you problems, rather, it is the seal around the shaft.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:54 AM

Default Re: oil leaking from rubber sleeve on shift linkage (2ndhandCRX)

i think that the seal needs to be replaced. it is not the rubber boot that is giving you problems, rather, it is the seal around the shaft.
ok so you do know what I"m talking about then? I don't think its the boot that is leaking since its meant to have the lil hole on the bottom anyway.. so what do i do? take the boot off and then replace the seal? any idea what seal i need? thanks in advance.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:30 PM

bump.. help please
Old 02-03-2003, 12:14 PM

bump
Old 02-03-2003, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

.. so what do i do? take the boot off and then replace the seal? any idea what seal i need? thanks in advance.
Unfortunately on most Honda trannies, the only way to replace the shift shaft seal is to break the tranny apart and get to it from inside.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:20 PM

Default Re: oil leaking from rubber sleeve on shift linkage (Chiovnidca)

.. so what do i do? take the boot off and then replace the seal? any idea what seal i need? thanks in advance.
Unfortunately on most Honda trannies, the only way to replace the shift shaft seal is to break the tranny apart and get to it from inside.
I gotta drop the tranny and open it up for this?
Old 02-03-2003, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On a B-series tranny, you don't have to disassemble the trans. to replace the shift shaft seal. Just slide the boot off, pop the retaining clip off, and drive out the roll pin. Slide the shift linkage off, and replace the seal. I use a 15 or 16mm deep chrome socket to drive the new seal in.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:34 PM

Default Re: oil leaking from rubber sleeve on shift linkage (b19coupe)

On a B-series tranny, you don't have to disassemble the trans. to replace the shift shaft seal. Just slide the boot off, pop the retaining clip off, and drive out the roll pin. Slide the shift linkage off, and replace the seal. I use a 15 or 16mm deep chrome socket to drive the new seal in.
as usual mr b19coupe comes to my rescue! Thanks again man
Old 02-09-2003, 04:53 PM

Ok I took the boot off and I took that click off too but I can't figure out how to take the roll pin out.. anyone know how to do this?
Old 02-09-2003, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Roll pin punch and a hammer.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:06 PM

Hmm.. a roll pin punch.. didn't know they existed.. do they go by any other names? can i use something else as a substitute? Thanks again mr b19
Old 02-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know another name for it. A regular punch will work, as long as the diameter is close to that of the pin. Roll pin punches just work better-they have a little dimple on the end that fits perfectly in the hole of the roll pin. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:17 AM

i probably don't have to say this, but drain your transmission before you pop the seal out.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

right on the money!
go to your local auto parts store, and get a punch set. move the rubber boot back from the shift linkage(tranny side), and with the puch that best fits the edge of the pin holding the linkage in place punch the pin out. is good to place a rachet, or a wrench behind the linkage because it will bend(slightly) when you hit the pin with the punch. once you drive the pin out, pull the linkage away from the tranny. pull the rubber boot, and you'll be ble to see the seal(item 20). use a flat head screw driver, or any flat edge tool you have around to pry it out. once it's out, use a 14-16mm socket to drive it in. tap it lightly, until it sits inside the tranny case. place the rubber boot in the tranny, slide the linkage in and drive the pin back in using a wrachet or wrench to support the linkage as not to bend it. once you do that, cover the pin with the rubber boot and you're done!

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...CLUTCH+HOUSING

[Modified by smokey2.0, 12:42 PM 2/10/2003]
Old 02-10-2003, 10:49 AM

Default Re: oil leaking from rubber sleeve on shift linkage (smokey2.0)

right on the money!
go to your local auto parts store, and get a punch set. move the rubber boot back from the shift linkage(tranny side), and with the puch that best fits the edge of the pin holding the linkage in place punch the pin out. is good to place a rachet, or a wrench behind the linkage because it will bend(slightly) when you hit the pin with the punch. once you drive the pin out, pull the linkage away from the tranny. pull the rubber boot, and you'll be ble to see the seal(item 20). use a flat head screw driver, or any flat edge tool you have around to pry it out. once it's out, use a 14-16mm socket to drive it in. tap it lightly, until it sits inside the tranny case. place the rubber boot in the tranny, slide the linkage in and drive the pin back in using a wrachet or wrench to support the linkage as not to bend it. once you do that, cover the pin with the rubber boot and you're done!

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...CLUTCH+HOUSING

[Modified by smokey2.0, 12:42 PM 2/10/2003]

You all have much better tech skills than i do! Thanks for that link by the way but is this gonna be the same part for a b16a tranny? part 20?
Old 02-10-2003, 11:03 AM

is there anyway that its normal to find a droplet of oil hanging from the rubber boot on the shift linkage? I see two small holes on the bottom of the boot which makes it look like it was meant to drip a lil oil for whatever reason?
Old 02-10-2003, 06:47 PM

Ok i'm getting difference of opinions on how to remove the seal.. I know two people on this thread said you dont need to open the tranny to get to it but now others are telling me you DO have to take apart the tranny.. does ANYONE have a helms for a 99-00 civic si to confirm what is true or not? Sorry I dont have a helms myself but I really need to get one!
Old 02-10-2003, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The transmissions that require teardown to remove the shift shaft seal don't have the roll pin/retaining clip setup. The shaft coming out of the transmission has linkage as an integral part of the shaft , so there is no way to slide the seal off of the shaft. The shaft has to be removed in order to replace the seal, which involves tearing down the transmission. If your transmission has a roll pin on the shift shaft, and after you disconnect the linkage all you have is a straight shaft, the seal will slide right off without tearing down the transmission.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:41 AM

I have recently discovered this problem with my jdm itr tranny. Am i able to do this without tearing down the transmission? Before i go by those instructions, do i need to drain transmission? Also, is this something i should look into doing very soon or is it not a big deal?

Modified by Makdaddynuge at 9:33 AM 10/13/2005
Old 10-13-2005, 08:31 AM

bump please someone help, might have to PM you b19coupe
Old 10-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Makdaddynuge)

No big deal on an ITR tranny. Slide the boot back, pull off the clamp, punch out the roll pin. Remove and replace the seal. Install in reverse order.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:35 PM

thanks a lot man, appreciate it
Old 10-14-2005, 06:01 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

D series trannys can also replace the shift shaft seal without tearing the tranny part.........

Just drain the oil first..........
Old 10-14-2005, 07:20 AM

ok so i am getting different answers, drain the oil or no? Drain the tranny fluid or no?

Quick Reply: oil leaking from rubber sleeve on shift linkage