Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Oil in intake, clogged PCV?

Old 05-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in intake, clogged PCV?

I removed my intake to get to my VSS for another issue, and noticed that there was some oil in the intake arm near the side that connects to the throttle body. I checked inside the throttle body and saw a little black oily residue, but no pool of oil or anything. I pulled out what I think is my PCV valve, it's a one way system I think? So i blew on the valve and shook it, I can hear the rattling inside the valve slightly when I shake it, but it goes away. Only rattles if I shake the valve after I blow into it.

Anyways, does it sound like I need to replace my PCV valve? And could that have caused the problem of the oil in the intake? My friend said a clogged PCV causes the oil to escape elsewhere and that should be the problem?

Also, for a while I do notice sometimes when I drive and come to a stop, I smell oil, but I don't believe I have any leaks. Aside from maybe a leaky axle? Could that smell be caused by the clogged PCV/ oil in the intake system?
Old 05-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil in intake, clogged PCV?

I recommend trying to learn how the PCV system works. I myself dont fully understand which way the air flows at different RPM's, but from what I understand you should usually be sucking air into the valve cover from the intake box and air exits through the PCV. If PCV is clogged, then it forces air backwards out into the intake box. There's usually oil spray in this air, so this is what you're seeing.

No, if you're smelling oil, it wouldn't be from the PCV system directly. I would simple green the engine (look up procedure so you dont fry any electronics) and then start checking for leaks.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you must have a leak somewhere if you're smelling it in the cabin. unless your crankcase pressure is high enough to push oil past seals.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

crankcase pressure would be oil pressure right? i have an oil pressure gauge, but honestly i have no idea how to read it.. about where should the readings be normal?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, crankcase pressure is the "air" pressure generated by compression blowing by the pistons (it's not a perfect seal). PCV releases this pressure by sucking air in at the valve cover and out through the PCV. If you PCV valve is stuck closed then you generate pressure in the crankcase and valvetrain....this may push oil out of the seals. This is also why you see oil backing up through the tube connecting the valve cover to the intake.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Trial User

well u should jus change out ur pcv vavle anyways cause really it only like 5 buck from autozone