Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

noise in intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise in intake

When i have my car @ idle it makes a little popping noise every 7-10 seconds.and its coming from the intake

I've never heard this before.This happened after i installed my power FC.I still have yet to get it tuned.I'm runnin 100 oct so it shouldn't be detonating.

Any help will be appreciated

Old 02-22-2004, 02:09 PM

Default Re: noise in intake (JDMITR222)

Sounds like you're back firing through the intake manifold. You are likely running excessively rich.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: noise in intake (RedlinedVTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedlinedVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like you're back firing through the intake manifold. You are likely running excessively rich.</TD></TR></TABLE>Yea it sounds like what the guy i quoted said.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: noise in intake

Hi, was wondering if the original poster solved the problem.
I have the EXACT same problem.
Im runnign a fully rebuilt, recon b20vtec.
Im running powerfc.
It popped from day 1, only on idle, 10-30 seconds apart.
It makes good power, but its annoying the hell outta me.
I changed Cam gears, changed cam timing, ignition timing, a/f ratio, injectors, throttle body. I opened up the intake manifold and there was NO CARBON build up on valves.
Im on the verge of selling the car away noW!!!

Could it be the powerfc?
Old 11-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i get the same problem after installing my pfc ..

at the same time, i get excessive knock levels beyond 50+ on idle when i rev past 3000rpm ..

not tuned yet - this is after ive done the 30min idle self learn ..wtf

how to fix using the commander?
Old 11-09-2011, 12:09 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

WTF is a Power FC? Is it like the crappy VAFC?
Old 11-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
WTF is a Power FC? Is it like the crappy VAFC?
Power FC = Apexi Power FC

Full standalone engine management system.

look it up www.apexi-usa.com

Apexi VAFC = piggy back ECU (****)

LOL o.O
Old 11-09-2011, 02:20 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Still sounds like BS. And to buy something like this and not know how to operate it? GO take it to someone that knows what they are doing.
Got this from the net
"Can I drive around without it being tuned for a few days? Months?
You can drive the car around as you would normally but you should take care not to put stress on the engine. Basically don't fang around in it, as you could be running unsafe A/Fs etc and just causing more damaged. Best to get it tuned. Make sure you watch the knock levels if you do this to make sure there isn't excess detonation."

or

"Once the PowerFC is installed can I expect any better performance or does it HAVE to be tuned?
It is always recommended that you get your PowerFC tuned for your cars mods. This will take into factor things like a lazy fuel pump etc that will be missed with just the factory tune. A full tune will ensure your A/Fs are safe and the engine is not excessively knocking and you are getting maximum benefit from the new ECU. A standard map will have benefit over the stock computer as it wont have built in limits the factory computer has and it also controls things like Variable Valve Timing better (on r33 RB25det at least) and provides more torque in the rev range without a tune."

You people might want to take a look at some documentation or even an FAQ like this one.
http://paulr33.com/powerfc-faq/powerfc-faq.htm
Old 11-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You serious? You need to get it tuned. your a/f is probably way off and you are misfiring.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The power fc has the b16b preloaded map.

Therefore it should technically run just like the oem PCT CTR ecu which is used as the base map on the Power fc.

Yes u have to get it tuned eventually if u want to achieve the full potential of the ecu.

But technically speakIng u should be able to run the car without issues.

But in this case ppl are experiencing all sorts, purely for the fact that some engines are heavily modified or just the usual bolt ons.

Btw ive read that faq even b4 buying the power fc. Even tried his troubleshooting guide which didnt work for me.

Doesnt matter anymore i got my car fully tuned and worked out the best for me.

Hope it works out for others.

Btw wat where u referrin to as BS?? Curious to knw.

:/
Old 11-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

recent timing belt done?
Old 11-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K20_EM1
The power fc has the b16b preloaded map.

Therefore it should technically run just like the oem PCT CTR ecu which is used as the base map on the Power fc.

Yes u have to get it tuned eventually if u want to achieve the full potential of the ecu.

But technically speakIng u should be able to run the car without issues.

But in this case ppl are experiencing all sorts, purely for the fact that some engines are heavily modified or just the usual bolt ons.

Btw ive read that faq even b4 buying the power fc. Even tried his troubleshooting guide which didnt work for me.

Doesnt matter anymore i got my car fully tuned and worked out the best for me.

Hope it works out for others.

Btw wat where u referrin to as BS?? Curious to knw.

:/
Im pretty sure you mean theoretically speaking, bc in practice it doesnt seem to be working for you.

Regardless of what it might say, a basemap is usually used only to get the car to a tuner. You are playing with the ignition and fuel maps and are running only on assumption that the map provided is adequate and comparable to stock.

Seems to me that the obvious solution would be to get the car tuned by a professional.

At the very least you should think about getting a wideband o2 sensor and checking your a/f ratios.

If you are getting pinging or knock etc you def should not be pushing the car at all and honestly need to limit your driving before you damage the engine.

The stock knock sensor isnt the most sensitive sensor out there either so you most likely are getting pretty significant detonation.

Are you running stock ignition timing? If you have advanced the distributor retard it and see if the problem continues.

please dont take this as an attack on you! bc its not just if the cars not running right start at the most likely causes. One major one I see is a non oem ecu/tuning esp. if it not tuned.

Seems to me like the guy was only asking if it was a piece of crap LIKE a vafc, which are notoriously horrible.

side note i know you already have the power fc but alot of tuners do not like to use them so make sure you find a tuner that is comfortable and experienced. You do not wanna be their guinea pig while they try to get accustom to the power fc.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys for ur input.

Solved the problem.

Turns out that my or the knock sensor on the b16 are just overly sensitive and will cause it to electronicmagnetically pickup other rattling noises etc.

Took the car for a spin and once it has passed 3000rpm the cel light stopped flashing and da timing was all god and no knocking/pinging.

I noticed that my car makes alot of rattles in the bay below 4000rpm... Due to a loose filter bracket and broken engine mounts.

So the pfc is all sweet. Just need to get full tune to achieve full potential.

These pfc are b16b base mapped. Same mapping values as the oem PCT b16b ecus. So technically speaking it should run safely without any tuning requirements. But they recommend tuning to suit your mods etc. but if ur car is a stock b16 then shouldnt matter, should be able to run the pfc as if it was an oem PCT ecu.

Checked my timing and was all in order. 16deg. 2• BDTC

Thanks for ur input. Prob solved.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet good to hear! i know all about retarded knock sensor problems, i experienced an annoyance once but it was due to user error (ME) i left a hammer on top of the gsr manifold, lol so yeah driving and it bouncing around set off the knock sensor and cut power and vtec lol dummbbb