Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Need help with my chronic car problem.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with my chronic car problem.

Ok, this is a long story but i didnt want to leave any information out. i have a 1988 civic dx with a b18a1 swapped in, running obd0. The car has been throwing a code 43 for a long time. I replaced the oxygen sensor, but the code came back. A few days ago my car wouldn't start. The ecu was throwing a code 1 or ten( not sure) 15, and 43. I reset the ecu and it started up, but idled really rough, i gave it some gas and it seemed to run fine. i drove it too work, then on my way home it died while i was driving. I got it started and made it home. Only throwing the code 43 now. The next day i left for work and my car cut off while i was driving down the mountain, no other codes thrown, it started up again and on my way back home it work jerk really bad under acceleration. while i was going down the mountain, it lost all power, like it wasn't getting fuel or air. I couldn't accelrate going 45 downhill in fourth gear. I bogged down worse and worse and finally died. started right up in a few mintues and i took it home. I assumed my fuel filter was clogged and replaced it. When i took the car out for a test drive it was doing the same jerking, if i floor it it runs fine until 3000 rpm where it feels like the throttle slammed shut or something, this happen again in the higher rpms, then i noticed my tach dancing all around. I did some research on the forums, and concluded that my igniter was bad. I replaced it but the jerking is still the same, but i havent seen the tach doing the weird motions anymore. Any body have any idea what my problem might be?
Old 09-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help with my chronic car problem.

I really need help with this one, I don't have any other transportation.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess i start with plugs and wires, checking and cleaning all grounds, thermostat ground,
check tps and map connectors secure
maybe take it to a shop,
Old 09-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how did they do the multi point wiring? maybe some wires are messed up
Old 09-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can't take it to a shop, i live in a small town and the local import shop freaked out when they saw a civic with a b-series and refused to work on it. I"ll check plugs and wires, my grounds look good. anyway to check if your map or tps sensors are working right?
Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think its the plugs and wires, since it runs fine below 3000 rpm. I don't know how they did the mpfi wiring, but it ran fine for months, just started doing this about a week ago.Anyone have anymore ideas?