Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

N/A b20 Vtec questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N/A b20 Vtec questions

a friend of mine who i have known for a few years now has a 97 civic with a fully built b20 "from the block up" blue printed,bored,sleeved...you name it he had it done to this motor(he even has receipts for everything done to it).I don't know if he used the b18 or b16 head,ill have to go down and look at it a bit closer.i know he is using a b16 trans.he's also running the stock injectors and never had it tuned.Anyways he met a chick started a family and the car got put on the back burner.(its been sitting for a few years now).as far as the shell goes.he gutted it.he was going to use it as a track car so pretty much everything is tore out but a sparco bucket seat and the dash,he even tore out the sunroof and replaced it with plexiglass.

He told me i could have the car for 1k just because he wants it gone,my main concern is the fact its been sitting for so long.What type of damage can this cause to the engine,will all the seals need to be replaced?would this cause any rust/mechanical damage?If so, is buying this car not going to be worth the hassle there could be in the long run?

also the registration on the car is WAAAAAY out so im more or less buying it for whats under the hood and going to part out whats left of the shell,i have a 90 civic SI that wouldn't mind a b20 vtec.

this should be the last thing,From what he said, the compression is STUPID high. i cant remember the exact ratio.He was telling me it wouldn't run correctly on pump gas.If i were to get the exact ratio could someone confirm this?Or is it a possibility it was his stock injectors/no tune?

Thanks ahead of time for any help
Old 03-12-2012, 05:05 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: N/A b20 Vtec questions

-No tune
-Sitting for years
-Can't register the shell
-Unknown parts
-Unknown running condition
-High comp (expensive fuel?)
-Unknown mechnical issues

Sounds like a big risk man. I'm very cautious with built motors, especially ones in this sort of situation. Just my two cents.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon5 Re: N/A b20 Vtec questions

Originally Posted by kp
-No tune
-Sitting for years
-Can't register the shell
-Unknown parts
-Unknown running condition
-High comp (expensive fuel?)
-Unknown mechnical issues

Sounds like a big risk man. I'm very cautious with built motors, especially ones in this sort of situation. Just my two cents.
Thanks for the reply man!most of that is correct and it helps weigh the pros and cons when someone else puts it into perspective.

Can register shell,has proof of all work done with receipts,running perfectly fine when parked .

I hit him up this morning,we talked and I told him if I buy everything for an oil change if it would be cool if I could come over with my battery charger flush the radiator and change the oil.if it is in good running condition and I buy it he just knock the cost of w.e from the price of the car.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon5 Re: N/A b20 Vtec questions

*damn cell phone...lol
Old 03-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by corlude
I buy it he just knock the cost of w.e from the price of the car.
what? idk what this means
Old 03-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civickiller
Proper sentence structure=PITA from a cell phone,if I supply materials needed to get the b20 running"to make sure nothing is mechanically damaged" he will knock off the amount spent to accomplish said project from the cost of the car. I.e oil change,radiator flush and anything else that would be needed to get it going.so I can see if its in a proper running condition.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If hes a good friend then why not? and he has receipts , You dont have to worry about rust.
But since the motor has been sitting id buy it and have the machine shop take a look at it.
ive had motors sit for a year + and once installed drive perfectly fine.
if the lack of funds id open the motor up myself and look for w.e he bought on those receipts..
Old 03-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civickiller
x2
Old 03-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Diamond Co