Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Mold?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mold?

Wasn't sure where to post this, so misc with my first choice

basically a few days ago i started to smell this musty smell inside my car.. I've never had any mold experience, but i recall hearing that the musty smell was generally as sign of mold/mildew.. Well It turns out the day after i washed my car, i went to get into it and the smell was still there, so i started to sniff around to locate the exact spot.. with no avail.. however my driver side floor was wet. So I wanted to tear up the carpet to see what/if anything was growing under my carpet, that and to locate the leak.. Anyways.. I found these spots, where the carpet seems "glued" to the floorboard and basically black stuff.. The foam under the carpet was still a little damp.. so I just want to know if it's mold or not, and if i should just try to dry the carpet & try to clean it or buy new carpet & yank the old?

also this is under the driver seat, just seemed to be a ring of black crap:

any feedback is welcomed, wanna finish this before teh sun goes down to day

my plan was really to possibly just get the carpet as dry as possible, then rub baking soda into it and let that sit.. I'm not really sure what to do since i've never really had a problem w/ mold nor have i ever tore apart a cars interior
Old 11-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mold? (mogge)

You could just mix some bleach and water in a spray bottle to kill the mold. Pull the foam stuff out (probably have to tear it) and let it air dry after treating it. But, you really need to determine where the water is coming from and fix that. Might be the sunroof drain tube separated, leaky windshield, etc.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i found the leak, it's the hole where the cord for the hood release goes through.. i'm going to caulk it w/ some silicone tomorrow when there is light..

i dried the under part of the carpeting earlier, but i went ahead and tore it out right now and found some mold between that and the carpet.. not much, but i'll have to have a better look @ the carpet in the day tomorrow. Should i spray bleach on the foam part or just throw that part away?

i'll probably peal the passanger side carpet tomorrow as well to see if there is any on that side, even though it didn't get wet on that side. :/

right now i put some baking soda on the carpet to sit over night.. which i will vacuum up in the morning :/

also the black foam piece under the carpet & pedals got wet, should i be worried or assume that has mold on/in it too?

Modified by mogge at 7:42 PM 11/4/2008
Old 11-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i sprayed the insulator w/ some bleach water and it's sitting for a few, i have work @ 8 so i'm hoping it'll be dry by then.. i was thinking about tossing it in the washer on low & dryer on low/light to get it really clean & dry.. would that be a bad idea? or should i just lay the carpet w/o the foam insulator? thanks in advance!

edit: also i layed the baking soda over night, and vacuumed it this morning.. the musty smell appears to be gone.. i'll probably use this glade carpet & room air freshner as well.

bit the bullet & tossed it in the washer/dryer anyways..

opinions/help welcome still

edit2: well **** it turned into a ball of crap lol.. laying carpet down w/o the foam.. just won't be as soft ^^

Modified by mogge at 2:43 PM 11/5/2008

Modified by mogge at 3:24 PM 11/5/2008
Old 11-06-2008, 02:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (mogge)

Google search for Automotive Jute
Old 12-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

little update...

apparently i didn't get the hole the first time so it rained and flooded the carpet, so i yanked the carpet out completely..The hole is for sure patched up now but there is still a musty smell in my car.. and i believe I'm developing a sore throat or something from it.. Is there anywhere I could just take my car to have someone look at it or to deodorize it. The smell isn't really strong though..

also could the insulator (#2) be harboring mold or just be giving off the smell? Since it's like foam with a rubber top?

any help would be greatly appreciated..
Old 12-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your heater core leaking?
Old 12-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Scott_Tucker
Is your heater core leaking?
no the leak was located and fixed. I'm just worried about the smell because i think it's making me sick.