Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

idling is totally unnecessary

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 06:58 PM
I serve phở for my babies

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: idling is totally unnecessary

You're a cool man Patrick. I'm done warming up my cars and wasting fuel. Thanks for the headsup!
Old 01-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could give a rats axx about it wasting fuel by letting it warm up. If its cold as ***** outside, I dont want to be driving for 10 minutes with it below zero in the car. The only reason I let mine warm up is so its nice a hot when I get in to leave at 6 in the morning. Its worth the gallon or two of gas wasted each tank to let my car get warm before I get in it.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by per4mance
I could give a rats axx about it wasting fuel by letting it warm up. If its cold as ***** outside, I dont want to be driving for 10 minutes with it below zero in the car. The only reason I let mine warm up is so its nice a hot when I get in to leave at 6 in the morning. Its worth the gallon or two of gas wasted each tank to let my car get warm before I get in it.
Yes, that is one reason to let it warm up. I was just saying it's not at all NECESSARY as many people used to and still continue to believe to be the case.

However just remember that you ARE introducing more wear into the engine by letting it sit idling for that long to get up to operating temp vs. just driving off after 30 seconds. That's just simple physics.

You could look into an engine block heater if you live in an area with really cold winters. Leave it plugged in overnight, unplug in the morning, start, and off you go. Heat available instantly.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by per4mance
If you live in Huntsville, Alabama you must mean 0ºC or something, because it rarely gets that cold waaay up here where I am.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mcvtec
If you live in Huntsville, Alabama you must mean 0ºC or something, because it rarely gets that cold waaay up here where I am.

Seen the news lately? The south is getting POUNDED with cold weather. Some areas near Memphis were in the single digits FAHRENHEIT this morning.

It's actually 1 degree colder in Hunstville than it is in Casco, ME right now according to TWC.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Seen the news lately? The south is getting POUNDED with cold weather. Some areas near Memphis were in the single digits FAHRENHEIT this morning.

It's actually 1 degree colder in Hunstville than it is in Casco, ME right now according to TWC.
Yeah, many parts of the Southeast where I have some friends are completely unprepared for this blast of frigid weather.

Fortunately, I'm in the one and only state in the U.S. that did not have snow on the ground today!
Old 01-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I let the car idle for 2 minute and drive away..
Old 01-14-2011, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ken9
I let the car idle for 2 minute and drive away..
why?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Where does it say that? I don't see any single digit temps for this month in your area lol

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/USTN0325

Same for Huntsville, Al

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/USAL0287

Neither location is, in fact, near 0ºF.
See my point?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

umm okay? The other guy probably just meant it FELT like it was below zero in his car.

And yes I saw a town in north MS on the news the other night that had a low of about 10° F one night earlier this week, which means some areas probably did dip into the single digits.

It has certainly gotten into the single digits in the Memphis area on occasion. When I used to live at my parents' house and had to park on the driveway, there were many times I wished I had a block heater installed in my car.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Think about hybrid gas/electric vehicles. When you "start" the car, you're not actually starting it. When you first start moving you're on electric only, and the engine doesn't start until you need a little more power. So obviously there is no idling and warming up with those cars.

And if my 300K miles without ever warming up more than 30 seconds isn't proof that excessive idling to warm up isn't necessary, then I don't know what is.
Most "real" hybrids (i.e. not IMA) Have a coolant tank that stays at operating temp for up to 3 days for just that purpose as well as instant heat. Total PITA to replace too.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol funny story now thinking about the whole warming up and go after 30 sec. I've got a 90 civic wagovan with 213k miles. on these freezing @$$ nights ill start the car and i hear ticking. (lifters) and i kid you know but at about 30-40 seconds stops the ticking stops and oil is all circulated.
30 seconds of warming up the car wouldnt hurt, hell in the summer ill let my si warm up for a couple min after work while i talk to some guys for a few
Old 02-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this might have already ben mentioned but what is your take on warming up a forged motor. i realize that when the motor warms up the pistons will swell. so how long do you guys wait until driving and boosting???