Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

i think it is my fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 03:00 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 i think it is my fuel pump

so im new to honda's and i realy dont know what i am doing with an import im more of a chevy guy but im likeing this 91 hatch but i was driving home the other day and my temp. gage spiked all of the sudden so i pulled over and killed it but when it cooled down i tryed to start it up again but it wouldent start so i waited a while talked to my freind and he said that it over heated because of my thermostat or my radiator cap so i replaced the radiator cap and i am going to replace the thermostat saterday when i get time ( i am not driving it it is sitting at my house) but it still wouldent start when i replaced the cap and put new coolent in the radiator so i asked a freind and he said that it might be the fule pump to check the fule filter so i did what i did was blew in one of the hoses and tryed to start it it started right up but when i got home and left it over night and tryed starting it again this morning it did the same thing so i blew in the hose again and it started but it had ALOT of white smoke comming out the tail pipe anyone got any sugestions of what is wrong with my car i realy need to get it fixed i cant go much longer with the car i know i need to replace the thermostat and im woundering if the reason why it wouldent start is because it wasnt getting gas to the engine and blowing in the hose it activated some gas comming threw the hose and got enough in there to suck more up or what anyone have any ideas
Old 12-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: i think it is my fuel pump

check for fuel spark and compression. when you put your key to the on position you should hear a humming noise coming from you back seat. that would be your fuel pump. to check for spark, pull out one of your spark plugs and keep it in the spark plug wire. have someone try to start your car and touch your spark plug to the shock tower. you should see it spark it you have any. and do a compression test, possible blown headgasket causing coolant to leak internally.