Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

I finished my car for real!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I finished my car for real!

I finished it up, got almost all of the bugs worked out, etc. I'm driving it to Jacksonville tomorrow.

I tested the compression 300 psi and above all the way across.

Yay, and pics too.

I wouldn't leave you hangin.

While I was at the gas station, I saw a pristine 1970 dodge charger, the guy that owned it was super cool and went ape-**** about my car.

He started to try to talk to me about nawzzz but i just told him I was into using my brain to make my car fast, not a bottle.

He was impressed and so was I.

This is up there with the greatest days of my life.
Old 01-16-2003, 04:25 PM

Default Re: I finished my car for real! (Plan B)

nice car man...congrats on gettin it done finally. ive been watching you through the process and give you props on the motor. do you have plans for the intake manifold like a skunk unit? definately to you
Old 01-16-2003, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I finished my car for real! (delslow94)

very nice

...just don't get any speeding tickets....
Old 01-16-2003, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I finished my car for real! (Tweakmeister)

what kind of a strut bar is that
Old 01-16-2003, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I finished my car for real! (flexmyREX)

lol stock GS-R.

you want to buy mine?
Old 01-16-2003, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I finished my car for real! (Tweakmeister)

sweet looks exactly like my coupe except mines is black.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I finished my car for real! (ejprimo)

sweet!!
I think you had too much caffeine
Old 01-16-2003, 07:47 PM

Isn't that number extremely high for a compression test. Most hondas are in the very low 200s.

I am kinda new to the compression thing, and maybe you have extremely high compression pistons which might explain that. If you could just tell me why it is that high.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:05 PM
New User

Default Re: I finished my car for real! (DeepSi)

Yes it is very high.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I finished my car for real! (DeepSi)

Isn't that number extremely high for a compression test. Most hondas are in the very low 200s.

I am kinda new to the compression thing, and maybe you have extremely high compression pistons which might explain that. If you could just tell me why it is that high.
yeah, i notice that too, and i don't think is right, don't know this engine, but i know accords are 175 psi, can somebody explain?
Old 01-16-2003, 11:36 PM

Default Re: I finished my car for real! (GZERO)

its a high compression motor. he may have milled the head, or be running hi comp. rods/pistons. prolly has a cam too, which also helps.
compression=power
Old 01-17-2003, 12:06 AM
New User

Default Re: I finished my car for real! (BluntMan)

Please tell me where I can buy high compression rods! BTW all of the most aggressive cams LOWER dynamic compression. Hence I re-iterate, yes that is very high, though compression tester vary greatly from one to the next. Calculations on my motor w/ what I've already got(see sig) + 85mm bore & 12.1:1 static compression(slugs & flat valves) would yeild about 260 PSI dynamic compression. This via an online boost/dynamic compression calculator. read: take with a grain of salt.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:04 AM

Default Re: I finished my car for real! (TimoneX)

BTW all of the most aggressive cams LOWER dynamic compression.
I dont get it. how does that work? The more a/f mixture that gets into the cilinder, the more of it there is to compress right? the only way that i can think of that would make it lower compression is by allowing less backflow cuz the lift and duration on the exaust valves is greater. which allowes the cilinder to get more **** out on the exaust stroke right?
Old 01-17-2003, 01:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I finished my car for real! (BluntMan)

the sooner the intake valves shut, the sooner the engine can begin to build compression against them. the longer they stay open on larger cams, the lower the DCR becomes. that is one of the reasons why the static CR needs to be increased to get the most out of the cams and make power.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I finished my car for real! (MikeSarr_GSR)

the swap looks clean!!!! AS well as the charger! but your dig cam sucks! LOL
Old 01-17-2003, 02:11 AM

Default Re: I finished my car for real! (MikeSarr_GSR)

the sooner the intake valves shut, the sooner the engine can begin to build compression against them. the longer they stay open on larger cams, the lower the DCR becomes. that is one of the reasons why the static CR needs to be increased to get the most out of the cams and make power.
Well said. Big cam duration and overlap equals high RPM power, but at a cost to cranking RPM compression. You have to match the overlap and duration of the cams to your target RPM range, big cams = less power at low RPM and big flow potential at high RPM.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I finished my car for real! (texan)

I have 12.5:1 pistons. Eagle rods, stock gsr cams for the time being.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Please tell me where I can buy high compression rods! BTW all of the most aggressive cams LOWER dynamic compression. Hence I re-iterate, yes that is very high, though compression tester vary greatly from one to the next. Calculations on my motor w/ what I've already got(see sig) + 85mm bore & 12.1:1 static compression(slugs & flat valves) would yeild about 260 PSI dynamic compression. This via an online boost/dynamic compression calculator. read: take with a grain of salt.
You must have no idea, the difference between static and dynamic compression.

The engine must obviously be 'OFF' to calculate the compression with a compression tester. Compression @ TDC is called 'Static' and will definately be way over 300psi on a 12:1+ Motor. 300psi is the max that most testers go upto (Although Id like to get my hands on one that went higher).

Dynamic Compression is a variable # that comes into play when the engine is running. Your static CR changes because of the fact that your cams keep both valves open for a certain ammount of time, releases some pressure.

You need to read up more, because from what you just typed...It shows that you have absolutely zero understanding...you are just regurgitating what you've read on here.

Suprdave

[Modified by Suprdave, 10:50 AM 1/17/2003]
Old 01-17-2003, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yay, and pics too.
Your pics are still blurry...you can't use that long of a shutter without a tripod...and try using the timer.

Suprdave
Old 01-17-2003, 08:38 AM
New User

Default Re: I finished my car for real! (Suprdave)

You must have no idea, the difference between static and dynamic compression.

The engine must obviously be 'OFF' to calculate the compression with a compression tester. Compression @ TDC is called 'Static' and will definately be way over 300psi on a 12:1+ Motor. 300psi is the max that most testers go upto (Although Id like to get my hands on one that went higher).

Dynamic Compression is a variable # that comes into play when the engine is running. Your static CR changes because of the fact that your cams keep both valves open for a certain ammount of time, releases some pressure.

You need to read up more, because from what you just typed...It shows that you have absolutely zero understanding...you are just regurgitating what you've read on here.

Suprdave

[Modified by Suprdave, 10:50 AM 1/17/2003]
Actually...sir, I have 2 testers and do in fact know how to use them, as I am a former alignment tech, brake, and drivability mechanic. Not to mention testing my own cars. Perhaps if you'd actually read what I responded to you'd make more sense in your response, since you said nearly the exact same thing I did...only less eloquently.

You obviously need to read the entire thread before regurgitating someone elses facts in an insulting manner.

Also, when you use a compression tester you're cranking the engine, and as a result you're taking into account the loss of compression caused by the late closing of the valves caused by agressive cams, not simply measuring PSI at TDC as you stated. This is why a "high compression" motor like the partially real & partially planned motor I have will come out to near 260.9PSI on an accurate compression tester despite having a static C/R of 12.1:1 and cams with an ABDC of 46 degrees.

[Modified by TimoneX, 9:51 AM 1/17/2003]
Old 01-17-2003, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A Compression tester is only gonna see the 'peak' value of your compression, still not accounting for the loses at overlap. It all depends on your cams.

I Apologize for calling your a moron...

Suprdave
Old 01-17-2003, 09:06 AM

A Compression tester is only gonna see the 'peak' value of your compression, still not accounting for the loses at overlap. It all depends on your cams.
It's not the overlap that kills the readings, it's the late intake valve closing. Regardless of how you crank the engine, at very low RPM the intake charge doesn't have enough velocity to counteract the effects of increased cylinder pressure through the big bottom timing on the intake cam. This causes what's commonly called intake reversion at low RPM (read: less mix is trapped in the cylinder), which if you understand what a compression test reads will also cause a drop in those readings. A drop in cylinder filling = a drop in compression, regardless of whether you're measuring peak numbers or not.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:20 AM
New User

I Apologize for calling your a moron...

Suprdave
I was unaware that you called me a moron. Apology accepted...I guess. A compression tester does account for cams, at least somewhat, since higher lift & duration cams will tend to lower the peak PSI reading.

Well stated as always Texan. TY for illustrating my point.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Phew. for good info.